6 members have voted

1. 1. Gillig BRT's VS. Gillig Low-Floor's

• Gillig BRT
    • Gillig Low-Floor

Pick one for what?  

...price?
...appearance?
...function?

Why do we need to pick?   Most believe the BRT front cap looks nice and more modern.

But from my understanding, both have essentially the same underpinnings.  The main difference from all that I've heard is that the front cap makes the BRT appear more modern and resembling modern rail design and was originally configured for BRT applications ...it's only for aesthetics and not at all for function as it pertains to BRT operation.

That modular front cap of the BRT adds a few inches to the front overhang and those agencies that have routing that may need a bus that can handle the approach angle specifications that a shorter front-overhang provides might choose the traditional LF (do they still call them "Gillig Advantage" ...?) as even a few inches makes a LOT of difference.  KCM in Seattle latest order of Gilligs, as an example, have been LFs as the city and surrounding areas have a lot of hilly routing along with dips and other obstacles that would make a shorter front-overhang very beneficial.  I keep hearing that was the main reason they didn't go with BRTs  ...plus, LFs have a slightly lower price than the BRTs from what I've read.  I wish they would have ordered BRTs as I like the look but if they cost less and function better for the territory, I can understand.

I argued on another thread that the traditional LF design makes it appear as if it was 20+ year old bus ...if I were to show a person off the street a 2019 Gillig LF without frame-less and tinted windows and a 1999 NFI D40LF, I bet they wouldn't know what bus was newer.  

These are only my opinions, etc.  I invite others to correct my faulty perceptions, however.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I prefer this model Gillig:

100_1493.thumb.jpg.7066a8ab4d1e27fe9412485881b00237.jpg

So do I but that is not the topic of this thread, LOL.  I too prefer the Gillig Phantom.

Yeah, being an old fart, I too long for a "real bus" and that's a traditional high-floor 40-footer as it pertains to city transit applications.  The first bus I ever drove was a 1955 GM TDH-5105 and was a "real bus" to me as I also used to ride on those same GM old-look buses when I was a kid.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 5:34 PM, roamer said:

do they still call them "Gillig Advantage" ...?

Officially they were never called that. That was a nickname derived from advertising materials.

• Thanks 2