RailBus63

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Then there are the people who still take their children to the park and use the playgrounds and stuff like that, which is pretty appalling. I get the feeling a lot of people are treating this like a government-sponsored multi-month vacation instead of a serious global crisis.

The City of Calgary has actually roped off playground equipment with caution tape to prevent little ones from climbing onto the equipment.  I'm actually quite shocked more cities aren't doing this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

The City of Calgary has actually roped off playground equipment with caution tape to prevent little ones from climbing onto the equipment.  I'm actually quite shocked more cities aren't doing this.

Toronto does this too. Hasn’t stopped some jackasses.

• Like 3

I wish they took a stricter stance on the public here. I'm sorry to say this, but we're not Sweden; we can't trust everyone here to follow the rules and use their heads. They should've come hard down with restrictions on the public going out. People would've complained, but I'm sorry, this is no ordinary situation. Better to take it hard now so it pays off later. 

That said, kudos to our governments. I'm quite happy with the way they've handled it, especially Doug Ford. I'm not a fan of his, but credit must be given where it is due, and he's done an impressive job throughout all this. Hats off to him. 

• Like 3

I got word a day or two ago that my 90-year-old Great Uncle who lives in London now has COVID-19 and is in severe condition.  I really hate to say this but he is probably not going to live much longer, his health isn't that great at the moment.  I'm going to miss him, he is a really nice man. 😢

• Sad 12

Just living my life as usual. I work at McDonalds which is classified as an essential service, though if you ask me, ALL fast food places should close. Bus service has been made shitter because of the virus. I usually take my 85 Gatineau which comes at 9:26 PM on weekdays and 9:41 PM on Saturday's but OC is now running a Saturday schedule 6 days a week meaning my bus will come at 9:41 PM everyday except Sunday where it will come at 9:38 PM. The buses are always empty and that is a problem because the driver will delay their 9:35 PM departure from Bayshore Station by about an average of 5-10 mins almost every time because of that and the fact that they'd rather not do time stops as they're suppose to along the route. As a result, when the bus is suppose to be at my stop at 9:40 PM, it shows up at 9:47 PM instead... The city of Ottawa is also adjusting the Semi-Actuated Coordinated Traffic lights along Carling to not change the lights at an intersection until 1 and 1/2 minutes after the beam is broken, to which the pedestrian signals will begin their 30 second countdown, all and all adding up to waiting 2 mins just for the lights to change to green... Doesn't seem like much but keep in mind my bus is already late, my work is 5 km away from my stop and I have to be there by 10 PM; seconds count <_<

I've personally was prepared before this outbreak so I have lots of Hand Sanitizer and what not so I've been able to manage with all this panic buying of stuff, though what's with the TP?? It's not a shit disease, not yet anyways...

15 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

what's with the TP?? It's not a shit disease, not yet anyways...

Well, households will be going through more TP because everyone is home 24/7. Normally during the day, most people are out of the home, so they are using TP at work, school etc. I agree though, hoarding large quantities isn't necessary.

17 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

I got word a day or two ago that my 90-year-old Great Uncle who lives in London now has COVID-19 and is in severe condition.  I really hate to say this but he is probably not going to live much longer, his health isn't that great at the moment.  I'm going to miss him, he is a really nice man. 😢

Very sorry to hear this.  We can hope that he is one of those who come through even despite his advanced age. 

• Thanks 1

Not so much a coping post, but an observation. Having just returned from Safeway, besides TP, and Bleach still out of stock, dish detergent is also very low. With people staying in and eating in, everyone's washing dishes. So get some while you can.

Got temporarily laid-off from work for 3 to 6 months as a results from the Covid-19 crisis. There is no demand for travel and 7000 of us got laid-off for the foreseeable future. I'll eventually have to go to work and turn in my credentials. The bad news is that I have to rewrite and redo my driving exams which expire in a few months. Despite the layoff, I'm trying to make the best out of this situation. I applied for another job, did some writing and am working on solving a Rubik's Cube Blindfolded. (Yes, it is very possible). I cannot wait for things to go back to normal for everyone. 

• Like 8

As a high schooler in Washington State, my school has been closed until at least April 27th. I wouldn't be surprised if that was extended. We just started doing online learning yesterday. Community Transit, which serves my county, is going fare-free and is doing rear door boarding except for those who need the ramp. They implented a 25% reduced schedule starting yesterday as well.

Day 3 of online school: Makes me wish I was back in the classroom.  Honestly, I cannot learn this way for the rest of the fucking school year.  This is such a miserable mediocre way of teaching students the material.  

• Like 2

I've officially left work (leave of absence) and will be off so long as this virus stands. Now, I will be stuck in my home 6 days a week but will go out on 1 day to do my things (food and whatnot).

Oh yeah, why did I only choose to leave now? Because apparently my March 18th driver on the 85 Bayshore was positive for COVID-19 and I was only told that on April 1st...... I can no longer take this risk not knowing that I've passed people who've been positive and could literally put me into an ICU had I not practiced distancing or hygiene...

• Sad 6

My best friend from when I was a kid relocated to Australia a number of years ago and I'd been trying to call his elderly parents to check on them for several days and hadn't been able to get through so I was starting to get quite worried especially when I left a message that went unreturned.  Finally, this morning, I was able to get through and they're fine.  They'd gone down to visit him in Australia back in early January well before coronavirus blew up into the mess it is now.  What they did was stay isolated and moved up their return travel and got home recently and are a week into isolation and trying to get over some severe jet lag, and managed to get a flight back the second last day before regular Air Canada service was cancelled (their late April return tickets were cancelled by Air Canada) with only repatriation flights remaining.  They're doing fine apart from being walloped by a severe case of jet lag and I was glad to hear that they're alright.

On a more disturbing note, an email came down from the legal department at work via our department's senior management containing "Declared as an Essential Service" travel documents and instructions for their use.  It isn't hypothetical anymore; people have been encountering problems crossing provincial and territorial boundaries already and they sent these out to account for those situations plus any other travel restrictions that may come up.  I never, ever thought I'd see a situation in my lifetime where I'd have to carry multiple forms of ID plus official travel authorization documents for "your papers, please" checkpoints inside of Canada except for very limited short duration, small geographic area situations like the G20 ten years ago.  This is not a development I am happy about at all.

Not doing too hot. Room mate is becoming impossible to live with. Just when I figured I had the courage to tell her that we are both very miserable and that maybe she should look for another place, she tells me she just got laid off from work.

I have been crying intermittently all day, and I have come to realize that the pool has been my only coping mechanism for the past 50 years, as it was always open and there for me.

I am a mess right now.

• Sad 1

^ Go for a long walk if you can Captain. It's not swimming, but at least you can get out for a bit.

6 hours ago, MVTArider said:

^ Go for a long walk if you can Captain. It's not swimming, but at least you can get out for a bit.

Walking is painful for me as I have arthritis in both knees and recurring IT band syndrome in one leg. I used to do tons and tons of distance walking (4 - 5 hour walks) but alas, age has not been kind to me. I get out to grab a coffee across the street, take out garbage or check the mail, but that is about it. The older I get the more I have relied on swimming for physical and mental health and well-being. So yeah, even though I don't mind the isolation (as I am quite happy to be in my room with the door shut), it is taking a nasty toll on me.

• Sad 4

For those of you who are doing work, schoolwork etc and need something errr "different" to listen to, perhaps this may work. I've actually been using his clips for a while now and thought I'd share. No talking, just background noise and rumble. Works for me, may work for you. Quite nice actually. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syg8m2JGjGM&t=36s

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, captaintrolley said:

Walking is painful for me as I have arthritis in both knees and recurring IT band syndrome in one leg. I used to do tons and tons of distance walking (4 - 5 hour walks) but alas, age has not been kind to me. I get out to grab a coffee across the street, take out garbage or check the mail, but that is about it. The older I get the more I have relied on swimming for physical and mental health and well-being. So yeah, even though I don't mind the isolation (as I am quite happy to be in my room with the door shut), it is taking a nasty toll on me.

Ah I see. That is a very tough situation. I wish there was a way we could get you an essential swimmer pass or something. I hope they don't have to keep your pool closed down for too long.

7 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Ah I see. That is a very tough situation. I wish there was a way we could get you an essential swimmer pass or something. I hope they don't have to keep your pool closed down for too long.

Pools and gyms will probably be one of the last things to open when restrictions slowly lift. Mostly because there is a LOT of exhaling, no way to wear masks, and these facilities are usually quite busy and can get crowded. I am hearing it may be 18-20 for pools and gyms to reopen. I hope this is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On April 11, 2020 at 1:23 AM, captaintrolley said:

Not doing too hot. Room mate is becoming impossible to live with. Just when I figured I had the courage to tell her that we are both very miserable and that maybe she should look for another place, she tells me she just got laid off from work.

I have been crying intermittently all day, and I have come to realize that the pool has been my only coping mechanism for the past 50 years, as it was always open and there for me.

I am a mess right now.

It's getting to a lot of people.  I've seen articles on the mental health toll this is taking on numerous media outlets and I overheard one side of a phone conversation that one of the neighbours was having about how she didn't take offence to something and that she knew the pressure was getting to someone.  This from a lady who takes offence to everything, go figure, but people have been getting snippy.  One of my friends was saying yesterday that he's noticed it too.  I've been getting snippy lately with this shop co-ordinator at work who's micromanaging probably because he's feeling the pressure too.  The whole thing is ugly.  It can't go on forever.  I don't even think it can go on for too much longer, really, before too many people hit their breaking points and things get really bad no matter how much politicians like John Tory get on TV to intimidate people and tell them that he's ordered the police to write even more tickets if you're seen outside.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I am hearing it may be 18-20 for pools and gyms to reopen. I hope this is wrong.

Ugh, I totally relate on this. Anything over 12 months for a return to normal sounds absolutely ghastly, I really, really hope that those predictions are way off. :(

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

The whole thing is ugly.  It can't go on forever.  I don't even think it can go on for too much longer, really, before too many people hit their breaking points and things get really bad no matter how much politicians like John Tory get on TV to intimidate people and tell them that he's ordered the police to write even more tickets if you're seen outside.

I agree with you that it feels like we're going to be reaching the breaking point really, really, soon, but what is the alternative? I'm sure there are many policy makers or influencers on whose minds the collective national irritation is constantly weighing, but what are they going to do instead? Surely no one is going to greenlight any ideas that will let the virus ravage the population.

Though who knows. There was an article I read a few days ago claiming that the UK was hoping to roll back restrictions slowly over the coming two months with a full restoration of international travel by June 1st. Ha! Chance would be a fine thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

At this point reading what's been published, at what point does the solution become worse than the problem and when is that line drawn? I'm sick of being isolated but I know if I go out, I can be killed!

Also I've noticed I've been ordering Uber Eats for almost 2 weeks straight. Now that must be a lot of money I'm spending and it is, but when you still continue to get paid 1K+ bi-weekly and have no where to spend your money or go, it's like... wtf...

• Like 1