COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

RailBus63

19 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Pfft. The Delta variant is already rampant here. The news keeps rambling on and on about how 99% of new cases are among unvaccinated individuals, misinformation is to blame for not having more people vaccinated, gotta break up the hesitancy, etc. So keep the border closed to fully vaccinated Canadians, sure... makes total sense. Way to follow the science officials. 🙄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Someone needs to explain to me how if I go buy an airplane ticket, I can fly to the United States, and everything's perfectly fine, but if I drive to the United States, it's somehow so drastically different that it'll cause the sky to fall.

In any case, the only science going on with COVID-19 for months now has been political science.

I totally agree with you here.  I have a science degree and I have been telling my friends for months that just about everything PM Trudeau and Premier Ford have been doing to fight COVID is based on fear, not science.

6 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Pfft. The Delta variant is already rampant here. The news keeps rambling on and on about how 99% of new cases are among unvaccinated individuals, misinformation is to blame for not having more people vaccinated, gotta break up the hesitancy, etc. So keep the border closed to fully vaccinated Canadians, sure... makes total sense. Way to follow the science officials. 🙄

I have been reading the news lately and seeing how British PM Boris Johnson is being excoriated by his opponents for reopening his country even though the number of new COVID cases each day is skyrocketing.  Basically, the UK is being held up as an example of what not to do to stop COVID.  However, focusing on new cases while ignoring how serious they are (or aren't) feeds the narrative that easing restrictions will lead to oblivion.

I have copied some graphs from the Public Health England showing British COVID statistics, comparing new cases, hospital admissions and deaths since February 2020.

The first graph shows that nearly 88% of British adults have received one vaccine and more than 69% have received both:

image.thumb.png.03b6a4f564ec90be99d5ab1c9df8d56b.png

The second graph shows the number of new daily cases of COVID in the UK.  In April 2020, there were an average of 4800 new cases every day.  In January 2021, there were about 60,000 new cases every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 47,000 new cases every day:

image.thumb.png.8ecae8c3b54d7566cfe8d875d8c72299.png

The third graph shows hospitalisations.  In April 2020, there were an average of 3000 admissions each day.  In January 2021, there were about 4000 new admissions every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 740 new admissions every day:

image.thumb.png.47cea6d67b427f28580f95f0b709c061.png

The fourth graph shows deaths within 28 days of a positive COVID test.  In April 2020, roughly 1000 people were dying every day of COVID.  In January 2021, about 1300 people died each day.  And in July 2021?  About forty people per day.

image.thumb.png.42b53969dfeaa2c8ca2d98e5a94ef7f3.png

Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

What I am trying to say is that the vaccines are working and most new COVID cases in the UK (and Canada and the heavily-vaccinated US states) are not serious.  The number of hospitalisations and deaths is not following the curve of new cases.  COVID is here to stay and it is time to move on with life.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 4:15 PM, tomsbuspage said:

I totally agree with you here.  I have a science degree and I have been telling my friends for months that just about everything PM Trudeau and Premier Ford have been doing to fight COVID is based on fear, not science.

I have been reading the news lately and seeing how British PM Boris Johnson is being excoriated by his opponents for reopening his country even though the number of new COVID cases each day is skyrocketing.  Basically, the UK is being held up as an example of what not to do to stop COVID.  However, focusing on new cases while ignoring how serious they are (or aren't) feeds the narrative that easing restrictions will lead to oblivion.

I have copied some graphs from the Public Health England showing British COVID statistics, comparing new cases, hospital admissions and deaths since February 2020.

The first graph shows that nearly 88% of British adults have received one vaccine and more than 69% have received both:

image.thumb.png.03b6a4f564ec90be99d5ab1c9df8d56b.png

The second graph shows the number of new daily cases of COVID in the UK.  In April 2020, there were an average of 4800 new cases every day.  In January 2021, there were about 60,000 new cases every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 47,000 new cases every day:

image.thumb.png.8ecae8c3b54d7566cfe8d875d8c72299.png

The third graph shows hospitalisations.  In April 2020, there were an average of 3000 admissions each day.  In January 2021, there were about 4000 new admissions every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 740 new admissions every day:

image.thumb.png.47cea6d67b427f28580f95f0b709c061.png

The fourth graph shows deaths within 28 days of a positive COVID test.  In April 2020, roughly 1000 people were dying every day of COVID.  In January 2021, about 1300 people died each day.  And in July 2021?  About forty people per day.

image.thumb.png.42b53969dfeaa2c8ca2d98e5a94ef7f3.png

Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

What I am trying to say is that the vaccines are working and most new COVID cases in the UK (and Canada and the heavily-vaccinated US states) are not serious.  The number of hospitalisations and deaths is not following the curve of new cases.  COVID is here to stay and it is time to move on with life.

Nice work.  The charts you rounded up show how the vaccines have been working to sever the link between COVID-19 and the worst of the complications that go with it.  Eventually COVID-19 becomes "meh" for the most part once enough people are vaccinated and it either goes nowhere or causes a mild feeling crappy.  The case counts don't matter so much when it's a small number of people feeling crappy and stay home until they're feeling better without requiring emergency room visits, oxygen, ventilators and heroic measures.  Feeling crappy vaccinated COVID-19 is pretty much feeling crappy every other minor ailment out there.

A lot of the British friends I hear from think there's an ulterior motive to Boris lifting all of the UK's restrictions.  They think it's de-facto privatization of the pandemic by the government saying it comes down to getting vaccinated and exercising personal responsibility so effectively, if anyone gets COVID-19 now and it goes badly, they think the government's saying it's your problem, not theirs anymore.  Some of them also think that it's a setup to let the NHS crumble so it can be privatized.  I don't know enough about what's going on over there to comment other than to say that Boris is right when he says that COVID-19 isn't going anywhere and that we have to learn to live with it.  In that regard, he's the only politician out there I know of that's being honest about it, at least that part of it.

Had a phone call from my parents this afternoon.  The driving vacation to Quebec was great (they had indoor dining before Ontario did!) and they went and visited one of our relatives down in the Niagara peninsula.  All this wonderful stuff!  All this potential exposure to COVID-19, right.  Tam does keep saying that even the best vaccines are not 100% effective.  Then they want to know if I've had my second shot yet.  Uh no.  Uh, July 8 for #1, look at the calendar and do some math, I can't have #2 yet.  That turns it into oh no, we can't visit, we can't visit until after I've had #2 plus another two weeks because the sky's guaranteed to fall otherwise.  It's total retiree privilege.  They've had the luxury of being able to stay home and be scared shitless for the last year and a half because they're retired plus got vaccinated early due to position in the age down rollout plus didn't have to mix and match because they were giving all the seniors double Pfizer.  I've had to go out into the world every day and WORK the whole time when there was no vaccine or there was but it wasn't available.

They're fully vaccinated too which is why they're out doing all this stuff, so they're not at any significant risk from me, it's me that's at risk of getting sick from them!  Or the guy next to me at work.  Or any of the other people at work.  Or any of the other people anywhere else.  So it's fine, because I'm working age, to make me take chances all over the place for the last year and a half.  But even a low risk have me visit?  Uh-uh.  No.  Never mind we did that several times last year when nobody was vaccinated.  I made several snarky remarks about that on the phone which my mother didn't like, but too bad.  I've run out of patience for privileged people who've had the luxury of being able to hide at home the whole time because they're scared meanwhile every other essential worker and I have had to slog through it day after day.  I told my parents I have my life to live.  They're going to find out pretty soon that COVID-19 wore out the last of my patience for dealing with family BS and the bunch of text messages plus a really painful three hour long phone call from my childhood best friend who's going to pieces right now has finished me off for being willing to put up with family BS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simcoe Muskoka is planning to wind down mass immunization clinics as of August 27th and instead redirecting people to use pharmacies for those needing to get vaccinated with either a first or second dose. 

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/simcoe-muskoka-health-unit-to-close-mass-immunization-clinics-1.5524826

Considering that over half of the population is fully vaccinated, there isn't as much of a need to have a large facility with staff to vaccinate on a high volume basis. Some clinics can handle a few thousand appointments a day during the peak demand. 

On the other hand, testing capacity still needs to be maintained at full capacity especially with the Delta variant. Especially the need to detect and isolate cases when they occur along with contact tracing for those that came in close contact within the last two weeks. To minimize the spread of COVID-19. Though I will admit that they should expand testing beyond a few select locations especially since some pharmacies are open late and some even 24 hours.

Hopefully the Delta variant will slow down once it reaches the peak. The delay and vaccinate solution currently being applied only works once people get vaccinated with both doses. There are two other solutions. Race through it and coordinate & crush which is a lot more risky and challenging. Here is a link to the video regarding the three options to ending the pandemic.

• Like 1

Work just approved my time off request for September for three weeks.

Slovakia just declared yesterday that the third wave had started (they reported 82 cases).

This is going to be the most tense and least relaxing build up to a vacation in my entire life.

• Sad 2

CTV News: Ontario unveils back-to-school plan for September. Here's what you need to know

All students will be able to return to the classroom full time this September under the Ontario government's highly anticipated back-to-school plan.

Non-medical masks will be required for students Grade 1 to 12 and must be worn in hallways, classrooms, and school vehicles. 

Masks may only be temporarily removed when taking part in low-contact physical activity or when consuming food and drink, the government says. Students from other cohorts may eat lunch together without distancing outdoors, but must remain two metres from other cohorts while indoors.

Students are not required to wear masks outdoors. 

The poor kids!  I've read that COVID is a generation-defining event, like the Great Depression and the Second World War.  It's no wonder that hundreds of thousands of Ontario children are being traumatised by the government's actions, especially the ones too young to be vaccinated.  My seven-year-old daughter is nearly compulsive in her distancing, hand-washing and mask-wearing routines, and I only expect things to get worse as the restrictions drag on.  And who are the restrictions protecting?  Out of more than 89,000 COVID patients under twenty years of age in Ontario, only four have died.  Yes, four.  I can see the therapists rubbing their hands with glee at the money they are going to earn in the coming years and decades.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

CTV News: Ontario unveils back-to-school plan for September. Here's what you need to know

The poor kids!  I've read that COVID is a generation-defining event, like the Great Depression and the Second World War.  It's no wonder that hundreds of thousands of Ontario children are being traumatised by the government's actions, especially the ones too young to be vaccinated.  My seven-year-old daughter is nearly compulsive in her distancing, hand-washing and mask-wearing routines, and I only expect things to get worse as the restrictions drag on.  And who are the restrictions protecting?  Out of more than 89,000 COVID patients under twenty years of age in Ontario, only four have died.  Yes, four.  I can see the therapists rubbing their hands with glee at the money they are going to earn in the coming years and decades.

It's gotten stupid.  I walked in on someone from operations attempting to troubleshoot equipment by way of talking to someone else on a video conference about it.  This lady wasn't wearing a mask, I was, but she wanted me to stay away anyways.  I took one look at the dog's breakfast going on in the equipment rack and bluntly told her she needs a flashlight, not a mask.  I'm old.  I remember when we used to build installations with these ceiling mounted trouble lights on a retractable cord reel.  Problem solved but the all style, no substance people put a stop to that so yes, flashlight.

I don't know, no mask but vaccinated vs. attempting to work on live equipment unqualified in the darkness of the equipment cabinets.

Which is worse, the COVID-19 risk or the industrial accident risk?

And how much other stuff did she break while she was rummaging around in there?

I guess I know where I'm going to be spending the rest of the day once my lunch break's over.

• Like 1

This is an early build and there is a drop light.  Why didn’t that non-mask wearing lady go at it in the dark?

Anyways, drop lights are supposed to have a 60, 75, or 100W rough service bulb in them so they can survive being rough handled while being used by people while they’re working.

Some well intentioned, kindhearted soul was trying to be environmentally friendly and replaced the durable rough service incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent.  Great.  Well, if this thing gets broken, I guess I get to find out if this stupid non-medical, not rated for anything good luck with that wing and a prayer mask works on mercury vapour.  But mercury vapour’s not COVID-19 so it’s all good, right?  Right? Right?

Well, I’d better get back to work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Some well intentioned, kindhearted soul was trying to be environmentally friendly and replaced the durable rough service incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent.  Great.  Well, if this thing gets broken, I guess I get to find out if this stupid non-medical, not rated for anything good luck with that wing and a prayer mask works on mercury vapour.  But mercury vapour’s not COVID-19 so it’s all good, right?  Right? Right?

Let's see...

A SARS-CoV-2 virus ranges in size from 50 to 200 nm in diameter.  A mercury atom has a diameter of about 0.3 nm.  N95 masks filter out 95% of particles 300 nm in diameter, and your mask isn't N95.

Good luck in there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got my second dose on Monday. I had a fever and chills overnight and felt like I'd been hit by a bus the next day, but I'm basically back to normal now. Fortunately, Pfizer was in abundant supply so I got 2x of the same thing and haven't risked screwing up my ability to travel in the immediate future. Now, it just remains to be seen whether there will be anywhere to go, or if some suit is going to vomit out an idea that ruins my September, too.

• Like 2

CTV Montreal: Quebec to implement vaccine passport due to rising COVID-19 cases, premier says

OK, how will this work for non-Quebeckers?  I'm certain that the idea sounds great from Quebec City or Montreal, but how will it work in Ottawa-Gatineau, where half the area will require vaccination passports and the other half refuses to provide them?

Speaking of Gatineau, I haven't crossed the Ottawa River, not even for a Sunday drive, since the pandemic began because I'm never quite sure what the COVID restrictions are over there on any given day, and also because the first screening question I'm asked is usually "Have you left the province at any time in the last fourteen days?"  Looks as if things won't change anytime soon in that regard. <_<

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Let's see...

A SARS-CoV-2 virus ranges in size from 50 to 200 nm in diameter.  A mercury atom has a diameter of about 0.3 nm.  N95 masks filter out 95% of particles 300 nm in diameter, and your mask isn't N95.

Good luck in there.

MMmmmmmm.  Yep.  Those numbers are pretty grim, aren't they?  That N95's going to have trouble catching COVID-19s when they top out 33% smaller than what they're designed to stop and get smaller from there.  Mercury from a bulb getting smashed in front of me if that were to happen?  No chance.  And the employer provided generic hope for the best masks they make us wear at work are even less stringent than an N95, as you pointed out, so I'm not too optimistic here.

On the other hand, we know placebo effect works because people seem to be a lot more happy around them even if they're not really doing a huge amount as the numbers imply.  I mean, something's better than nothing for sure, but they aren't the magic silver bullet they've been made out to be.

7 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Got my second dose on Monday. I had a fever and chills overnight and felt like I'd been hit by a bus the next day, but I'm basically back to normal now. Fortunately, Pfizer was in abundant supply so I got 2x of the same thing and haven't risked screwing up my ability to travel in the immediate future. Now, it just remains to be seen whether there will be anywhere to go, or if some suit is going to vomit out an idea that ruins my September, too.

I had Moderna #2 this morning so that's done and out of the way.  So far, this one has actually gone better than the first shot did.  The first one pretty much immediately caused a whole raft of numbness, tingling, pain, spasms etc. in the arm.  One of my friends thinks they hit a nerve or got too close to one with that shot.  The puncture from this one hasn't caused any problems.  It's probably too early to tell about other side effects yet but so far, so good.  It's the same deal for me with respect to travel, it's two shots of the same vaccine and delivered on the manufacturer's specified schedule.  I was talking with someone there about that and said that no matter what eventually happens with the mix and match business or what vaccines are recognized or not, nobody is going to be faulted for following the manufacturer directions so this is the best possible starting place to work from of the bunch.

And yes, September.  I have a week off in September that I might tack a few days of time in lieu onto to lengthen and I have a couple of ideas for travel if, and that's the big if, these useless politicians can get themselves sorted out by then.  We'll see what happens.  If not then, hopefully November when I have more time off.

• Like 3

I was good until about 12 hours after being vaccinated yesterday and then the side effects hit like a ton of bricks around 9 PM yesterday while I was cleaning up from a late dinner.  I had a couple of chills and then the aching came on followed by a nasty fever.  I haven't run a high temperature like that since I was a kid.  I'm kind of kicking myself now for not dragging myself out of bed and downstairs to do a thermal selfie with my IR imaging camera to see just how bad the fever was.

I took a sick day, called it in, and had some water, food and a tylenol and then slept much of the day.  The worst of it's worn off now except for some lingering ache and a headache that feels like I'm getting over a concussion.  I haven't taken any tylenol since around 10:00 AM so if I took another one, it'd probably knock down what I'm feeling now quite a bit.  I've just spent the day on the couch listening to music while the side effects subside.

Interestingly, I've been reading articles about Moderna shots starting to hit their expiration dates and going into the garbage.  The vaccination strategy I came up with for myself was to wait for supplies to pick up, then try to get Moderna to avoid competing for Pfizer against youth (they get Pfizer by default due to being the only approved vaccine for 12-18 y/o) and seniors (demanding Pfizer followups to their original Pfizer shots from before) and possibly getting mixed and matched the way a lot of my middle aged friends have been with the problems that might have with vaccination status recognition.  Also, by waiting for supplies to pick up increased the likelyhood of it being done on the correct 28 day interval.  Basically, the plan I came up with was to try to ensure two of the same shot on the manufacturer specified interval and no mix and matching, no dragging out the two doses because no matter what the other vaccination permutations they're doing here, nobody's going to fault you for getting done according to the manufacturer's specifications and I think that's the best starting point for vaccination status recogntion.

All of this meant that when I arrived for my appointment yesterday morning, what I was after was another Moderna shot to go with the first one.  They only had Moderna when I got my first shot which was fine since that's what my plan there called for.  I asked what they had yesterday when I arrived and they had both and was asked which I preferred and they seemed to be surprised that I asked for Moderna until I explained how I'd planned it all out.  Anyways, they had two rooms set up at the hospital this clinic was at and they showed me into the Moderna room.  There was nobody else in the Moderna room getting vaccinated.  The preference for Pfizer is that strong.  I just cringe at these vaccines that are desparately needed everywhere going into the garbage.

• Like 4

On 8/6/2021 at 6:12 PM, Wayside Observer said:

I was good until about 12 hours after being vaccinated yesterday and then the side effects hit like a ton of bricks around 9 PM yesterday while I was cleaning up from a late dinner.  I had a couple of chills and then the aching came on followed by a nasty fever.  I haven't run a high temperature like that since I was a kid.  I'm kind of kicking myself now for not dragging myself out of bed and downstairs to do a thermal selfie with my IR imaging camera to see just how bad the fever was.

I took a sick day, called it in, and had some water, food and a tylenol and then slept much of the day.  The worst of it's worn off now except for some lingering ache and a headache that feels like I'm getting over a concussion.  I haven't taken any tylenol since around 10:00 AM so if I took another one, it'd probably knock down what I'm feeling now quite a bit.  I've just spent the day on the couch listening to music while the side effects subside.

Interestingly, I've been reading articles about Moderna shots starting to hit their expiration dates and going into the garbage.  The vaccination strategy I came up with for myself was to wait for supplies to pick up, then try to get Moderna to avoid competing for Pfizer against youth (they get Pfizer by default due to being the only approved vaccine for 12-18 y/o) and seniors (demanding Pfizer followups to their original Pfizer shots from before) and possibly getting mixed and matched the way a lot of my middle aged friends have been with the problems that might have with vaccination status recognition.  Also, by waiting for supplies to pick up increased the likelyhood of it being done on the correct 28 day interval.  Basically, the plan I came up with was to try to ensure two of the same shot on the manufacturer specified interval and no mix and matching, no dragging out the two doses because no matter what the other vaccination permutations they're doing here, nobody's going to fault you for getting done according to the manufacturer's specifications and I think that's the best starting point for vaccination status recogntion.

All of this meant that when I arrived for my appointment yesterday morning, what I was after was another Moderna shot to go with the first one.  They only had Moderna when I got my first shot which was fine since that's what my plan there called for.  I asked what they had yesterday when I arrived and they had both and was asked which I preferred and they seemed to be surprised that I asked for Moderna until I explained how I'd planned it all out.  Anyways, they had two rooms set up at the hospital this clinic was at and they showed me into the Moderna room.  There was nobody else in the Moderna room getting vaccinated.  The preference for Pfizer is that strong.  I just cringe at these vaccines that are desparately needed everywhere going into the garbage.

I have went through similar effects and taking painkillers to address the reaction which of course is normal. At the same time, booking time off and staying home until the side effects subside. Hope you are feeling better now. 

Looking back at how the contracts were made for vaccine suppliers, it was more of "we give you funding to produce a vaccine in exchange for guarantee of x doses once production ramps up on a large scale." Of course signing several different contracts for x units is risky not knowing if those companies can deliver. With the mix and match trying to be addressed, I know Quebec is offering a matching shot to meet the two shots from the same vaccine manufacturer for those who need it for essential travel and the destination country don't recognize the mix and match.

It is pretty smart to hold out to know you will get the same vaccine for both doses. Especially some would rather rush to get what is available and works not knowing the implications until it really happens. 

On 8/8/2021 at 3:49 AM, GTAmissions1 said:

I have went through similar effects and taking painkillers to address the reaction which of course is normal. At the same time, booking time off and staying home until the side effects subside. Hope you are feeling better now....It is pretty smart to hold out to know you will get the same vaccine for both doses. Especially some would rather rush to get what is available and works not knowing the implications until it really happens. 

Holding out to do it properly caused some serious family friction with my parents shouting at me on the phone to get vaccinated immediately with anything any way possible once the age thresholds got lowered and I practically got accused of being vaccine hesitant since I wasn't doing it right now.  That part really irked me because they should have known better since I had been complaining about vaccines being inaccessible all spring and the first half of the summer because I was gung-ho to get it done but couldn't.  Then the stretched out the dose interval way beyond what the manufacturers validated.  Then Astra-Zeneca blew up.  Then the whole mixing and matching routine where any vaccine can be followed by any other vaccine on any separation between doses because "following the science" somehow turned into an anything goes shambles that more closely resembled "flinging shit at the wall and seeing what sticks" than any kind of organized, disciplined scientific rigour.  And that's why I decided to slow down and figure out how to go about getting vaccinated properly and be patient in order to get it done right.

I'm feeling much better now and I'm back at work.  The drive into work was interesting because I was bouncing between 680 News and Giant FM in the truck on the way in.  Giant FM is based out of Niagara so the border is local news coverage for them and between the two, it was interesting listening to the traffic reports at the border crossings now that it's open one way only for Americans to come up here.  When I left home, there was a 20 minute delay for cars entering Canada at one of the bridges but half an hour later, all of them had an hour long backup at 7 AM.  To me, that's clear evidence of the pent up travel demand.  It's going to be interesting to see what the reaction is from politicians in the northern states over today and the rest of the week because the one way outrush of travel dollars cannot be going over well.  My American friends are pissed off with Biden that the US border isn't open unless you fly in.  One of them's planned a trip up here in a couple of weeks but we're hoping I drive down soon since one friend wants some help with a couple of PCC cars and I miss doing that sort of thing and miss a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a year and a half to close to two years for some of them.

52 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

So…I was foolish for doing it “improperly” and seizing the first opportunity I could, and winding up with mixed doses?

I don’t think so.  With all of the changing recommendations over the last six months, I don’t think anybody could tell which way was up anymore.  Do you go first chance?  Do you wait in order to stay close to manufacturer specification?  There are strong arguments either way and, ultimately, both of us survived and both of us are fully vaccinated so the important items are taken care of.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I don’t think so.  With all of the changing recommendations over the last six months, I don’t think anybody could tell which way was up anymore.  Do you go first chance?  Do you wait in order to stay close to manufacturer specification?  There are strong arguments either way and, ultimately, both of us survived and both of us are fully vaccinated so the important items are taken care of.

I was like you, I wanted to wait for supply of either Pfizer or moderna got caught up, because i didn’t want az… too many countries were banning it…..

That's it, after labour day, everyone in our department's back in the plant.  I haven't heard what's happening with the rest of the company yet but there's something coming before the end of the week.

I don't know what this means about the pandemic being over apart from work getting cranked up even more.  If indoor football gets cancelled again, if the US border stays closed through both of my vacation periods this fall but work's pedal to the metal, I'm going to be even more seriously pissed off than I am already.

When I get home tonight, I need to print off a PCC motor generator and charging circuit diagram, mark it up with a bunch of troubleshooting notes for where to connect a DMM, what measurements to take, what the results should be and will be if parts have gone open or shorted and some quick theory of operation, then scan it in and email it off.  It's a piss poor replacement for actually being there in person and going through the whole thing with the person who's trying to fix the car, and it's wearing pretty thin.

• Like 1

We had a strange town hall meeting at work last week that raised more questions than it answered about the return to work in the building.

The first thing that they emphasized was that very few people were being brought back and that the large scale return was still going to be at an unknown future date because they're waiting for the government to give the OK regarding physical distancing etc. but that they don't know when that'll be.  Everyone in the technical maintenance department is coming back after the labour day weekend and we know that since there was an email followed by a round of meetings about it, but the big mystery after the corporate town hall is who else is coming back?  Nobody seems to know.  I would hope the forklift operators get brought back, but with the way things are going, I would not be surprised if they continue to be assigned to work from home.

The other thing that came up was the whole future of remote work once the pandemic subsides.  Do people need to be in the building all the time?  Management's position is that the default will be back in the building and they'll consider requests to work remotely.  The amount of distrust whenever this has been discussed during the Q&A sections of these meetings has been quite something.  People have been arguing that the pandemic has demonstrated for the last 17 months that remote work is possible and that the whole "is it technologically possible" question is settled while management keeps beating the drum that remote work during the pandemic falls under the category of managing exceptional circumstances and is not representative of how agreeable to it they'll be once things return to normal.

Then there's the statements out of the government of Ontario that the next phases of reopening are cancelled and the existing pandemic restrictions will be continued indefinitely.  So we've gone from "two weeks to flatten the curve" to "forever" there, with whatever that implies for workplaces and everything else.

Football suddenly came alive about a week ago when one of the winter indoor leagues announced their intention to run a season this fall and there was a practice last night.  We're all horribly out of shape.  After, a bunch of us hung out and shot the breeze for a bit and there's a feeling that the whole thing's on tenterhooks with Doug Ford possibly dropping another lockdown in the fall and wrecking it again the same as last fall.  Fourth wave.  Delta variant.  Even though you're vaccinated you still can't have your life back.  We'll see what happens.  I really hope the season goes this time.

The guys I was talking with are all essential workers as well and I mentioned the whole thing I've beaten to death about how they've been required to go to work the whole time, no vaccine until recently, no paid sick time until recently, no tax credit or any other goodies at all, and put themselves at risk to keep doing their job but everything enjoyable keeps getting cancelled because it's "dangerous".  Like many I've talked to, they're all younger and hadn't thought about their situation that way before until I laid it out in those terms.  The politicians keep going in front of the cameras and keep saying nice things about essential workers but there's been nothing for them but lots of goodies for other demographics.  I guess they've been gambling apparently correctly on most essential frontline workers being young, low information, inexperienced voters who are too busy trying to get through day after day of this to really sit down and evaluate the situation they're in and not realizing they're being given a really raw deal.  I can't wait to drop my thoughts on that in the ballot box on September 20.  I can't wait to do it again on June 2 next year either.

• Like 2

Single case of COVID brings whole country down to it's knees: A single COVID-19 case in New Zealand has sparked another full national lockdown. 'We need to again go hard and early,' the Prime Minister said. (msn.com)

On 7/22/2021 at 9:49 AM, MVTArider said:

gotta break up the hesitancy

Gonna be hard to do. Most I've talked to; their concern is long-term affects/approval. Yes, mRNA have been around for 10 years or so, but only recently has it been deployed on a global scale. In the USA, it's still not FDA approved and I'm sure as hell Health Canada has used a similar emergency approval to get them into circulation instead of putting them through years of trial. Personally, I knew that long-term affects may be possible, but the benefit (and the fact the majority of people are still alive after vaccinations, lmao) outweighed any future complications that may occur.

Also, I just learned that apparently despite having 2 doses, one of pfizer and Moderna, I'm still not welcomed in a handful of countries because they don't recognize mixing doses, so like what Quebec is doing, a third shot may be required of me if I intend to vacation somewhere that doesn't recognize mixed doses. Oddly enough, kinda messed up that some of those same countries that will not accept 2 different mRNA vaccines will accept mix doses of mRNA and viral vector, which at face value doesn't makes sense to me...

• Sad 2

Ontario announces mandatory vaccine plans for health, education workers; 3rd doses for some

Here we go again.

Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, announced the new measures at a news conference in Toronto Tuesday afternoon. 

"We are preparing aggressively for the fall. I'm sorry to say I think it's going to be a difficult fall and winter," he told reporters.

"Any orders would be targeted, focused and time-limited," he said. "We want to minimize disruption of our economy going forward and minimize disruption to our schools."

So what's going on the chopping block then?  If it isn't going to be anything affecting the economy or schools, what's left?  Every recreational activity outside of work, that's what!

Should we start a betting pool about how many weeks from now into the fall it's going to be before they start dropping restrictions that mean we're back to another fall/winter/spring of doing nothing but going to work and going home after and staring at the walls?  How about a second betting pool to see if it continues for so long into the spring, all the plans for summer 2022 get cancelled before they hype up another reopening to a great summer of...nothing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Should we start a betting pool about how many weeks from now into the fall it's going to be before they start dropping restrictions that mean we're back to another fall/winter/spring of doing nothing but going to work and going home after and staring at the walls?

Hopefully at least enough time to be able to fit in a brief getaway trip to NYC and back. Having gotten my double Pfizer, I'm very tempted to take advantage of the opportunity to fly to the US and back without having to quarantine while said opportunity lasts.

• Like 2