COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

19 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Pfft. The Delta variant is already rampant here. The news keeps rambling on and on about how 99% of new cases are among unvaccinated individuals, misinformation is to blame for not having more people vaccinated, gotta break up the hesitancy, etc. So keep the border closed to fully vaccinated Canadians, sure... makes total sense. Way to follow the science officials. 🙄

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Someone needs to explain to me how if I go buy an airplane ticket, I can fly to the United States, and everything's perfectly fine, but if I drive to the United States, it's somehow so drastically different that it'll cause the sky to fall.

In any case, the only science going on with COVID-19 for months now has been political science.

I totally agree with you here.  I have a science degree and I have been telling my friends for months that just about everything PM Trudeau and Premier Ford have been doing to fight COVID is based on fear, not science.

6 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Pfft. The Delta variant is already rampant here. The news keeps rambling on and on about how 99% of new cases are among unvaccinated individuals, misinformation is to blame for not having more people vaccinated, gotta break up the hesitancy, etc. So keep the border closed to fully vaccinated Canadians, sure... makes total sense. Way to follow the science officials. 🙄

I have been reading the news lately and seeing how British PM Boris Johnson is being excoriated by his opponents for reopening his country even though the number of new COVID cases each day is skyrocketing.  Basically, the UK is being held up as an example of what not to do to stop COVID.  However, focusing on new cases while ignoring how serious they are (or aren't) feeds the narrative that easing restrictions will lead to oblivion.

I have copied some graphs from the Public Health England showing British COVID statistics, comparing new cases, hospital admissions and deaths since February 2020.

The first graph shows that nearly 88% of British adults have received one vaccine and more than 69% have received both:

image.thumb.png.03b6a4f564ec90be99d5ab1c9df8d56b.png

The second graph shows the number of new daily cases of COVID in the UK.  In April 2020, there were an average of 4800 new cases every day.  In January 2021, there were about 60,000 new cases every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 47,000 new cases every day:

image.thumb.png.8ecae8c3b54d7566cfe8d875d8c72299.png

The third graph shows hospitalisations.  In April 2020, there were an average of 3000 admissions each day.  In January 2021, there were about 4000 new admissions every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 740 new admissions every day:

image.thumb.png.47cea6d67b427f28580f95f0b709c061.png

The fourth graph shows deaths within 28 days of a positive COVID test.  In April 2020, roughly 1000 people were dying every day of COVID.  In January 2021, about 1300 people died each day.  And in July 2021?  About forty people per day.

image.thumb.png.42b53969dfeaa2c8ca2d98e5a94ef7f3.png

Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

What I am trying to say is that the vaccines are working and most new COVID cases in the UK (and Canada and the heavily-vaccinated US states) are not serious.  The number of hospitalisations and deaths is not following the curve of new cases.  COVID is here to stay and it is time to move on with life.

• Thanks 1
On 7/22/2021 at 4:15 PM, tomsbuspage said:

I totally agree with you here.  I have a science degree and I have been telling my friends for months that just about everything PM Trudeau and Premier Ford have been doing to fight COVID is based on fear, not science.

I have been reading the news lately and seeing how British PM Boris Johnson is being excoriated by his opponents for reopening his country even though the number of new COVID cases each day is skyrocketing.  Basically, the UK is being held up as an example of what not to do to stop COVID.  However, focusing on new cases while ignoring how serious they are (or aren't) feeds the narrative that easing restrictions will lead to oblivion.

I have copied some graphs from the Public Health England showing British COVID statistics, comparing new cases, hospital admissions and deaths since February 2020.

The first graph shows that nearly 88% of British adults have received one vaccine and more than 69% have received both:

image.thumb.png.03b6a4f564ec90be99d5ab1c9df8d56b.png

The second graph shows the number of new daily cases of COVID in the UK.  In April 2020, there were an average of 4800 new cases every day.  In January 2021, there were about 60,000 new cases every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 47,000 new cases every day:

image.thumb.png.8ecae8c3b54d7566cfe8d875d8c72299.png

The third graph shows hospitalisations.  In April 2020, there were an average of 3000 admissions each day.  In January 2021, there were about 4000 new admissions every day.  And in July 2021, there were on average about 740 new admissions every day:

image.thumb.png.47cea6d67b427f28580f95f0b709c061.png

The fourth graph shows deaths within 28 days of a positive COVID test.  In April 2020, roughly 1000 people were dying every day of COVID.  In January 2021, about 1300 people died each day.  And in July 2021?  About forty people per day.

image.thumb.png.42b53969dfeaa2c8ca2d98e5a94ef7f3.png

Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

What I am trying to say is that the vaccines are working and most new COVID cases in the UK (and Canada and the heavily-vaccinated US states) are not serious.  The number of hospitalisations and deaths is not following the curve of new cases.  COVID is here to stay and it is time to move on with life.

Nice work.  The charts you rounded up show how the vaccines have been working to sever the link between COVID-19 and the worst of the complications that go with it.  Eventually COVID-19 becomes "meh" for the most part once enough people are vaccinated and it either goes nowhere or causes a mild feeling crappy.  The case counts don't matter so much when it's a small number of people feeling crappy and stay home until they're feeling better without requiring emergency room visits, oxygen, ventilators and heroic measures.  Feeling crappy vaccinated COVID-19 is pretty much feeling crappy every other minor ailment out there.

A lot of the British friends I hear from think there's an ulterior motive to Boris lifting all of the UK's restrictions.  They think it's de-facto privatization of the pandemic by the government saying it comes down to getting vaccinated and exercising personal responsibility so effectively, if anyone gets COVID-19 now and it goes badly, they think the government's saying it's your problem, not theirs anymore.  Some of them also think that it's a setup to let the NHS crumble so it can be privatized.  I don't know enough about what's going on over there to comment other than to say that Boris is right when he says that COVID-19 isn't going anywhere and that we have to learn to live with it.  In that regard, he's the only politician out there I know of that's being honest about it, at least that part of it.

Had a phone call from my parents this afternoon.  The driving vacation to Quebec was great (they had indoor dining before Ontario did!) and they went and visited one of our relatives down in the Niagara peninsula.  All this wonderful stuff!  All this potential exposure to COVID-19, right.  Tam does keep saying that even the best vaccines are not 100% effective.  Then they want to know if I've had my second shot yet.  Uh no.  Uh, July 8 for #1, look at the calendar and do some math, I can't have #2 yet.  That turns it into oh no, we can't visit, we can't visit until after I've had #2 plus another two weeks because the sky's guaranteed to fall otherwise.  It's total retiree privilege.  They've had the luxury of being able to stay home and be scared shitless for the last year and a half because they're retired plus got vaccinated early due to position in the age down rollout plus didn't have to mix and match because they were giving all the seniors double Pfizer.  I've had to go out into the world every day and WORK the whole time when there was no vaccine or there was but it wasn't available.

They're fully vaccinated too which is why they're out doing all this stuff, so they're not at any significant risk from me, it's me that's at risk of getting sick from them!  Or the guy next to me at work.  Or any of the other people at work.  Or any of the other people anywhere else.  So it's fine, because I'm working age, to make me take chances all over the place for the last year and a half.  But even a low risk have me visit?  Uh-uh.  No.  Never mind we did that several times last year when nobody was vaccinated.  I made several snarky remarks about that on the phone which my mother didn't like, but too bad.  I've run out of patience for privileged people who've had the luxury of being able to hide at home the whole time because they're scared meanwhile every other essential worker and I have had to slog through it day after day.  I told my parents I have my life to live.  They're going to find out pretty soon that COVID-19 wore out the last of my patience for dealing with family BS and the bunch of text messages plus a really painful three hour long phone call from my childhood best friend who's going to pieces right now has finished me off for being willing to put up with family BS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simcoe Muskoka is planning to wind down mass immunization clinics as of August 27th and instead redirecting people to use pharmacies for those needing to get vaccinated with either a first or second dose. 

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/simcoe-muskoka-health-unit-to-close-mass-immunization-clinics-1.5524826

Considering that over half of the population is fully vaccinated, there isn't as much of a need to have a large facility with staff to vaccinate on a high volume basis. Some clinics can handle a few thousand appointments a day during the peak demand. 

On the other hand, testing capacity still needs to be maintained at full capacity especially with the Delta variant. Especially the need to detect and isolate cases when they occur along with contact tracing for those that came in close contact within the last two weeks. To minimize the spread of COVID-19. Though I will admit that they should expand testing beyond a few select locations especially since some pharmacies are open late and some even 24 hours.

Hopefully the Delta variant will slow down once it reaches the peak. The delay and vaccinate solution currently being applied only works once people get vaccinated with both doses. There are two other solutions. Race through it and coordinate & crush which is a lot more risky and challenging. Here is a link to the video regarding the three options to ending the pandemic.

• Like 1

Work just approved my time off request for September for three weeks.

Slovakia just declared yesterday that the third wave had started (they reported 82 cases).

This is going to be the most tense and least relaxing build up to a vacation in my entire life.

• Sad 2