COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

7 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I would like to know if anyone here has gotten the Astra Zeneca vaccine. Any side effects ?

Two of my neighbours and a couple of friends in their 50s and 60s got the AstraZeneca vaccine weeks ago. They appear to be doing well. If you have any concerns, a quick chat with your GP would probably be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/9/2021 at 3:38 PM, captaintrolley said:

Pharmacy across from me called to say they will be getting the Astra Zeneca vaccine in later today.  In the news there have been a few reports of people experiencing blood clots as a result of this brand of vaccine. 

I booked an appointment for Sunday, but I do have the option to cancel it.

I am torn as I really would like to be able to receive a vaccine close to home as opposed to having to travel by bus to some location, and then going for my second dose after the bus routes change.

I would like to know if anyone here has gotten the Astra Zeneca vaccine. Any side effects ?

I was talking with a friend of mine and she was saying what she discussed it with her doctor is that there's a loose correlation between Astra-Zenica and women under 50 on the birth control pill having the clotting side effects, which was the reasoning behind the recommendation that it be used on people over 55 in Ontario.  She ended up getting Pfizer since that's what the mass vaccination clinic in Toronto was shooting seniors up with; everyone here I know that's been vaccinated has been given Pfizer.  Everyone I know in the UK that's been given Astra-Zenica, which they've gone in bigtime on, has been fine.

Direct experience?  No.  Like so many other people here, I'm so far down that list, I don't need to worry about any vaccine side effects since there's no vaccines available to get side effects from.

Edited by Flalex72
Deleted Reply to COVID Conspiracy
  • Haha 6
22 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Pharmacy across from me called to say they will be getting the Astra Zeneca vaccine in later today.  In the news there have been a few reports of people experiencing blood clots as a result of this brand of vaccine. 

I booked an appointment for Sunday, but I do have the option to cancel it.

I am torn as I really would like to be able to receive a vaccine close to home as opposed to having to travel by bus to some location, and then going for my second dose after the bus routes change.

I just saw this now.  For what it's worth, and if he has any complications from it, it's going to be major news, Toronto Mayor John Tory's practically endorsing Astra-Zenica:

‘I feel good’: Mayor John Tory receives first dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine   

(alternate link)

Now what I want to see is John Tory doing his best James Brown impression when he says, "I feel good"

Come on John Tory, do it!  Do it!  Do it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is a transit forum, and while there may be discussion about COVID as it relates to that, there is no place here for conspiracy theories. I've gone through the last few days of discussion and cleaned out the unnecessary posts. Members continuing to post conspiracy theories will have their posts moderated or posting privileges revoked.

• Thanks 6
1 hour ago, Flalex72 said:

This is a transit forum, and while there may be discussion about COVID as it relates to that, there is no place here for conspiracy theories. I've gone through the last few days of discussion and cleaned out the unnecessary posts. Members continuing to post conspiracy theories will have their posts moderated or posting privileges revoked.

Thanks for your information @Flalex72and don't let any members post brief strong language on this thread. Let's move forward with this ongoing covid-19 Pandemic and we will use reliable sources for COVID-19 protocols and avoid any false information about the Covid-19 stuff. We will get through this together and we will end the pandemic by years end according to World health organization. 

12 hours ago, JAX Transit 2000 said:

Thanks for your information @Flalex72and don't let any members post brief strong language on this thread. Let's move forward with this ongoing covid-19 Pandemic and we will use reliable sources for COVID-19 protocols and avoid any false information about the Covid-19 stuff. We will get through this together and we will end the pandemic by years end according to World health organization. 

Pot, kettle, black.

• Haha 1
On 4/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, captaintrolley said:

Got my first shot of Astra Zeneca vaccine today.  They are doing a 1/2 dose and then after 42 days a full dose booster. So far so good.

Cool.  I'm glad you've been free of side effects.  Doug Ford got shot up with Astra-Zeneca as well.  They wouldn't be giving it to A-list politicians that are widely reported on in the media if they were afraid of any side effects.  If there was any chance of bad side effects happening, it would play out in huge public style and really ratchet up the vaccine hesitancy which nobody wants so I'm sure they're confident in that vaccine and you're most likely going to be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wife got first shot of moderna, she was recently hired as a dietary aide at a long term care centre.

As per usual, myself and every other essential worker under 50 get to watch as spectators.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/04/12/arent-we-essential-front-line-workers-say-theyre-left-out-of-ontarios-vaccine-rollout.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

AD84D03A-B2DB-4023-AB78-1CD4E836C595.thumb.png.4ebffb35f4f0ac2f85c84171b5d3340f.png

I’m sorry? Does something about this amuse you?

Save some laughter for the thousands of others who have to put the safety of their families on the back burner.

Many thanks for proving to the rest of the board my suspicions that you’re an emotionally and intellectually stunted fool.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

One of my friends has been laid out for a few days with pneumonia/flu like symptoms.  Has had a history of pneumonia.  Doctor said to get it checked out and chest x-ray looked messy and while in the hospital getting that done, he got tested for COVID-19.  Let's see:  Below vaccine age?  Check.  Essential worker?  Check.  Has to go to work at work to work in a lab?  Check.

Guess, just guess, what the test result was.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
13 hours ago, JAX Transit 2000 said:

USA has paused Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 Vaccines due to Blood Clotting problems 

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/13/health/blood-clots-johnson--johnson-vaccine-wellness/index.html

How about Moderna, got mine set for tomorrow...  anything on wiki?????

Edited by Flalex72
17 minutes ago, Benton Harper said:

How about Moderna, got mine set for tomorrow...  anything on wiki?????

I haven't heard anything bad about Moderna or Pfizer. Those are straight mrna in a lipid micelle.

I think the complications / reactions are connected to the viral vector in the other vaccines.

26 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

I haven't heard anything bad about Moderna or Pfizer. Those are straight mrna in a lipid micelle.

I think the complications / reactions are connected to the viral vector in the other vaccines.

Thank you Cap'n, I hadn't heard anything either, but you never know what is out there on the internet

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Thank you Cap'n, I hadn't heard anything either, but you never know what is out there on the internet

Most of which (on the internet) is hogwash.

Moderna and Pfizer really haven't been in the mainstream news as having bad reactions, side effects or any severe immunogenic responses. So no news is good news, right ?!?!?

If you go to YouTube and search Medcram, there are excellent videos on everything related to covid.

The trick these days is being able to discern fake news from reality. Sadly anyone can put on a white lab coat, sit in a white room, and call themselves 'Doctors of America'.

• Like 1

That's what I've been thinking, there is one poster here who likes to spout off his racist political and covid19 vaccine theories and  garbage links (finally reported it).

Kinda caught up in the paranoia they like to spew

Thanks again for your rational posting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Benton Harper said:

That's what I've been thinking, there is one poster here who likes to spout off his racist political and covid19 vaccine theories and  garbage links (finally reported it).

Kinda caught up in the paranoia they like to spew

Thanks again for your rational posting 

The problem with 'views and theories' is that whatever someone believes, they will undoubtedly find something on the internet to support it..  also, some people are unwilling (or unable) to apply critical thinking and just go along with the first couple of half baked videos that they see because 'it looks so real'..  LOL..

Good luck with the jab, let me know how it goes.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

One friend's wife had round 1 of Moderna a few days ago since she's a member of the education priority group.  She felt a bit crappy the next day as the immune response the vaccine's supposed to initiate kicked in but the good news is it meant the vaccine was doing its job.

As for the other friend who is getting immunized from COVID-19 the old fasioned, pre-vaccine way, he's alternating between watching TV and sleeping and not doing much of anything else.  We've been texting and I offered to head up his way and do a loop of the stores and leave supplies on their front porch since his wife's also isolating but he said no thanks, they've been ordering from Grocery Gateway and are ok for the time being.  Fingers crossed his wife doesn't pick it up from him.

• Like 1

There's a neat pair of articles on the CBC Toronto website this morning:

TTC may add extra service on overnight route after man posts photo of inside of crowded bus

So the night bus is a total shambles packed with essential services workers who have early shift times.  As usual, that's normal, nothing to see here, move on, except with the pandemic this should not be happening if we're taking public health seriously for real instead of virtue signalling about it.  Tellingly, comments are not allowed on this article.

Then there's this one:

Shut down travel between provinces to control spread of variants, experts say

This again.  More restrictions, please.  Of course, there's the obligitory part about the border and international travel despite the headline being about interprovincial travel.  Comments are allowed so people can keep fanning the hysteria about the border but of course, there's very little said about the laundry list of other countries that are far more vaccinated and on the net whole a lot healther than Canada is.  It's also an excellent deflection from domestically produced, home grown, locally manufactured COVID-19.  You're more likely to get sick from someone standing next to you than some American that's fully, properly vaccinated showing up for a few hours.  Oh, the food plant my next door neighbour works at?  He was off for two weeks after someone tested positive near him.  Didn't get sick thankfully.  But everyone working on the line that had the sick person on it got sent home for two weeks and about $60k of food went right into the dumpster and there was an outbreak but yeah, the border, the interprovincial travel, yeah, more restrictions please.

With respect to the TTC article, I'm sure there's plenty of vaccinated retirees out there who still swear up and down that working age people are having far too much fun on the weekends that's driving the third wave while ignoring the workplace outbreaks and ignoring what the commute to and from those workplaces look like, and ignoring that this takes place nominally five days a week for more than eight hours a day once you add in the travel time.  If you don't get sick on the job, you could very well get sick on the bus on the way to the job.

Had to make an obligitory phone call to my elderly parents last night.  Got to hear all about the Pfizer vaccine again.  Got asked when I'm going to get vaccinated.  Had to explain at the rate we're going for essential services workers, it's probably going to be sometime in the next seven to ten years because there's nothing in sight for me or anybody else.  That's when I found out that somehow my parents downtown Toronto condo neighbourhood is a priority neighbourhood for vaccination!  How on earth is this?  Even they admit it's full of stay at home laptop warriors living in condos that go for close to a million dollars for a one bedroom.  My neighbourhood where everyone goes to work at work in some kind of a plant or commercial environment is not a priority neighbourhood.  Beats me but I guess it's reflected in all the data showing wealthy areas getting vaccinated at a far higher rate than anywhere else as net worth starts to go down.

What a gong show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Again with the curfews! In what possible way do they expect that this is going to change anything at all? I want off this insane ride.

• Sad 3

I think admins/mods should pin a message on this thread directing people to reach out to mental health resources and suicide prevention phone lines. With the terrible covid response, combined with joblessness, I have had very strong thoughts of suicidal ideation, and I'm very sure I'm far from being alone in this. Yes, we've got a terrible pandemic, but poor response and restrictions is causing a mental health and suicide pandemic.

Also, down with any curfews. Science proves it does not work in addition to being a massive violation of human rights.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
On 4/15/2021 at 11:44 AM, PCC Guy said:

Again with the curfews! In what possible way do they expect that this is going to change anything at all? I want off this insane ride.

[Snip!]

I really hope this is only a rumour and that the Ford government aren't seriously considering curfews for Ontario.  I do my grocery shopping after 8 PM to avoid crowds, not because of COVID but because I don't like crowds in general and it's easier for my wife to watch our three children by herself when they're asleep.  Imposing a curfew will force shoppers such as myself to go to stores during the weekend middays when they are far more crowded, even more so as evening shoppers such as myself will need to rearrange their schedules because of what I think is a futile effort by the provincial government to restrict us healthy while doing nothing to stop the spread among essential workers.  Toronto has been under lockdown since October and it has done nothing to reduce the spread of the virus.  I feel that the restrictions are punishing millions of law-abiding Ontarians for the actions of a tiny percentage of the population, all while we are being told that me having outdoor playdates with my two nieces and their parents, or my mother visiting her next door neighbour for a coffee, will cause the province's entire health system to collapse under the crushing load of COVID patients.

Meanwhile, I'm taking what I feel are practical precautions while trying to keep my family fed, clothed and entertained in an increasingly-difficult environment.  I wear masks whenever I am inside public buildings and when I cannot avoid crowds outdoors, such as when I pick up my daughters after school.  My girls are being switched to online schooling, which is OK for my third-grader but a complete write-off for my first-grader.  My family do attend church in person when we can, but my church's online reservation system leaves a lot to be desired with its first-come-first-served system which is fully booked within two minutes of the registration opening.  My wife's mother, who lives in Victoria, hasn't seen her grandchildren in nearly a year and a half, and she does not have a computer or smartphone so she cannot even see them online.  My father-in-law and his wife have a wonderful home in cottage country, but they are terrified of COVID and so our children are not welcome there because they attend school in person.  My widowed mother is fortunate because she lives alone and so she is allowed to spend time with our family, and I help her with running her errands as she does not drive and she refuses to take public transit during the pandemic.

It's my oldest daughter's birthday tomorrow, and I'm struggling to come up with ideas for special things to do when everything is closed for our "safety".  It looks as if we'll be taking a nature walk and seeing some waterfalls, even if the forecast calls for rain and cool temperatures.  We ordered her gifts online, but they have yet to arrive so she'll have to be content with gift cards, cash and IOUs.  My two other children also have their birthdays this month, and of course the toy and clothing sections at Walmart are closed off as non-essential.  This is not encouraging anyone I know to do curbside pickup at mom-and-pop stores, but is instead sending people to Amazon and other online retailers, whose warehouses are being swamped by COVID cases.  If Premier Ford were serious about encouraging supporting small businesses, he would allow them to open to the public--with restrictions, of course--while shutting down non-essential sections of big box stores.

I think that Premier Ford has completely abandoned leading the province through this pandemic, instead leaving it in the hands of doctors who think that locking down all of society is the only solution to this crisis.  I think the lockdown will do nothing to reduce the rate of transmission because most people are already following the soul-crushing restrictions, while the few who are ignoring the lockdown will continue to do so while essential workers, which according to a US Department of Labor report amount to 72% of the workforce, will continue to be the main source of spreading the virus in this province.  In the meantime, life-saving medically-necessary surgeries are being postponed, addictions and overdoses are skyrocketing, domestic violence is on the rise, and depression and suicidal thoughts keep climbing because we're all being isolated for our own good.  To me, the only way to defeat the virus is to vaccinate essential workers as well as seniors, especially those employees whose businesses are known to be spreading the virus.  Prime Minister Trudeau has also completely bollixed up the vaccine procurement, both by delaying placing orders with major vaccine manufacturers and by denying that Canada has any vaccine making capacity (Hello?  Who developed the Ebola vaccine?).

I am fortunate as I am able to keep working and running errands to keep my mind occupied, but my wife is nearly housebound because she does not drive and we have a nearly two-year-old son who is not in daycare.  My school-age daughters were able to go to school for a change of scenery, but that has been taken away from them even though schools are not a major source of transmission.  Indeed, one of the reasons schools are being closed is to help keep parents at home, as Dr. Etches herself tweeted last week after seeing parents socialising while waiting for their children.  What are we supposed to do?  Just stand there and stare at each other while waiting?  Of course, I chat with the other parents, masked and staying at least six feet away the whole time.

We will get through this pandemic, despite our province's best efforts rather than because of them.  I just wish that someone in charge would actually consider the consequences of the lockdowns before imposing them so freely.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

It's my oldest daughter's birthday tomorrow,

Happy Birthday from another April baby ♥ Enjoy the nature walk. Maybe bring a magnifying glass and / or binoculars and a note pad. Jot down the details of various bugs, birds, plants, flowers etc and then come home and then look them up on the computer at home and try to identify them. Just a suggestion to add a bit of fun learning to the walk.

• Like 1