COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

9 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Probably because no one knew anything unusual was happening until New Year's Eve.

https://www.who.int/csr/don/05-january-2020-pneumonia-of-unkown-cause-china/en/

That being said, a bit of early panic to kill the pandemic before it became one probably wouldn't have hurt.

The unfortunate problem that can't really be avoided is we're coming at that side of it with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and that there's no reliable way to tell it's going to become a pandemic ahead of time.  If we go down that road, we'd be shutting the world down every time my cat sneezes just in case it might be an indication of something major about to break out, when it's more likely a reliable indicator that I don't run the vacuum cleaner around the house often enough.

Honestly, at this point, every time I get asked if I've been out of the country in the last 14 days, I say no.  Nor do I need to be because it doesn't matter, it's already here and already out of control.  All I need to do is walk down the street.

• Like 1
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mom passed on at 1530hrs today. Rest In Peace Catharina Dejong Feb. 26. 1919 - Jan. 30, 2021.

My great aunt passed this pass week, and after talking around, it turns out she was located at a home where there was an outbreak of COVID-19. I suspect that she passed due to the virus. I don’t think

There are people on this forum who have been selfish and stupid recently by still going out fanning. This past week someone on this forum actually took GO transit all the way to Niagara Falls jus

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The unfortunate problem that can't really be avoided is we're coming at that side of it with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and that there's no reliable way to tell it's going to become a pandemic ahead of time.  If we go down that road, we'd be shutting the world down every time my cat sneezes just in case it might be an indication of something major about to break out, when it's more likely a reliable indicator that I don't run the vacuum cleaner around the house often enough.

Honestly, at this point, every time I get asked if I've been out of the country in the last 14 days, I say no.  Nor do I need to be because it doesn't matter, it's already here and already out of control.  All I need to do is walk down the street.

I do agree with the points you bring up. I'm just thinking about how the guidance was that there was nothing to worry about for weeks until suddenly shit hit the fan. I think we could've taken action at some point during those weeks that probably would've left us in better shape than we are. It's all hypothetical at this point though.

Meanwhile, in Slovakia: massive crowds have flocked to the ski hills. This is in the spirit of the restrictions, apparently, because the stay home order doesn't apply to going out into nature in your district. Apparently, it's cool to stuff mountains of people into skiing lodges and ski lifts, but someone wanting to go for a walk, by themselves, in their city is hugely dangerous and must be stopped with immediate effect. I wish someone would explain this to me. All of this comes, by the way, as critics warn that Slovakia's vaccination infrastructure is inadequate and it could take years to complete the vaccination process, which is in itself a startling prospect for the future.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Apparently, it's cool to stuff mountains of people into skiing lodges and ski lifts, but someone wanting to go for a walk, by themselves, in their city is hugely dangerous and must be stopped with immediate effect. I wish someone would explain this to me.

For those of us 'Logical Thinkers' many covid responese / protocols really hurt the brain. Like you can't sit on a mall or park bench (because of, you know, covid), but you can sit half an arms length from someone else on the bus.. I could go on forever with other 'illogical' examples, but I will leave it at that. It's just so frustrating.

• Like 1

An article regarding the potential of a curfew implementation coming in Ontario. New modelling data coming this week. To be honest, it will be difficult for those that work during the daytime and can only shop during the evening hours or those that prefer a quieter period. 

Quebec already has a curfew period which is from 8 PM in the evening until 5 AM the next morning. Other provinces looking to see how it is working out before implementing.

Tomorrow marks 10 months since the pandemic was declared which was March 11th. Hoping that vaccination increases noting that two doses are required for full effectiveness. Second dose administered within 21 days from the first one. Assuming that enough supply can arrive. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7566688/ontario-considering-implementing-curfew-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR00g4adC3Q5UpzfzA7TlQ3vxaN4i-_bKIjLVW412m7kqqC5jHs7HP83QQo

On 1/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, PCC Guy said:

I do agree with the points you bring up. I'm just thinking about how the guidance was that there was nothing to worry about for weeks until suddenly shit hit the fan. I think we could've taken action at some point during those weeks that probably would've left us in better shape than we are. It's all hypothetical at this point though.

Ah ok, I didn't realize that's exactly what you were thinking about.  I agree, it's far easier to stop a ship before it sails compared to getting it to turn around and come back after it's about to disappear over the horizon.  To that end, the latest blustering out of Doug Ford on Friday and yesterday has me seriously confused.  We've been hearing so much about a curfew the last week or so but now government sources are saying no curfew.  They're also saying no restrictions on movement within Ontario.  The whole province is already under a lockdown so if curfew is now off the list and restrictions on travel within the province are also off the list, what's left that's not already being done?  Are Walmart and Costco going to be told to close at long last?  Is that it?  And why wait until today instead of Friday or yesterday?

On 1/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, PCC Guy said:

Meanwhile, in Slovakia: massive crowds have flocked to the ski hills. This is in the spirit of the restrictions, apparently, because the stay home order doesn't apply to going out into nature in your district. Apparently, it's cool to stuff mountains of people into skiing lodges and ski lifts, but someone wanting to go for a walk, by themselves, in their city is hugely dangerous and must be stopped with immediate effect. I wish someone would explain this to me. All of this comes, by the way, as critics warn that Slovakia's vaccination infrastructure is inadequate and it could take years to complete the vaccination process, which is in itself a startling prospect for the future.

I guess that could be used as justification for Ontario to close ski hills here since Ontario is the only jurisdiction in North America to have done so from what I read the other day.  Anyways, it's this all over the map contradictory stuff that clearly isn't working and is delivering the worst of both worlds all the time that's got people worn out and fed up.  Add to that the parade of government and other officials that have been caught travelling including the hospital system CEO that got fired and a $1 million dollar separation payout after going on vacation.  That's a nice cushion to land on if you lose your job and it's a lot more than pretty well anyone else has gotten when they've gotten laid off or their employer's gone bust or their small business has fallen apart during this mess.  But it's the latest in a string that keeps getting longer and whatever Doug Ford is planning to announce when he gets in front of the cameras later today is going to be a lot tougher to sell with the erosion of the moral high ground to demand more and more sacrifices from the little people backed up with the stick of government enforcement but no carrot.  Well, maybe he's got a carrot cake recipe up his sleeve next to the cheesecake one, I don't know, but much as he doesn't want to admit it, it's going to be much harder to get public support and compliance for whatever he's got in mind because it can't be sold as "We're all in this together" when it's become clear we're not all in this together.

• Like 2

They are definitely trying to push a lot more control to manage the cases. Especially the part pushing people to work from home if possible along with ensuring compliance of retailers.

The biggest challenge is only going out for essentials or medical appointments. Someone on Twitter suggested putting a reusable bag in your pocket or car and claim that you are going out grocery shopping. Just make sure it is one close in case proof of address is asked.

This is going to be a long four weeks. Adjusting to the current situation. 

• Sad 2

I suspect it will be extended. I honestly don't see anything getting any better until majority of Ontarions are inoculated.

How hard is it to follow what the government is asking people to do?

• Like 1

Really, it's piling up more of the same that's been going on in one form or another for the last few months that clearly isn't working.

What's noticeable by absence is:

• No paid sick leave
  • No quarantine hotels for sick workers who can't isolate at home
  • Nothing to address spread in commercial/industrial environments like the Amazon warehouses
  • No labour protections to address all of the issues surrounding workplace spread

I could probably add to the list except I need to go to the store so I'm trying to be quick.  As of Thursday, leaving to go to the store at 7:54 PM is going to be pointless so I'm going to take advantage of the one hour between 8:00 and 9:00 while I can besides I'm almost out of bread and a couple of other essentials.  Can anybody explain how cramming the shoppers who are going to be there in the next hour into a shortened operating day along with all the people shopping before 8:00 PM is going to save the world?

Anyways, with the financial pressure still on people to continue working if they are sick, nowhere for them to isolate if they live in a crowded home if they do get COVID-19, the warehouses and fulfilment centres going full bore without any changes, no enhanced labour protections to try to get through this without unnecessary avoidable occupational exposure, how is a stay at home order going to protect essential employees who have to keep working in these employment situations?  How is it going to protect anybody else, really?  And expanded enforcement?  What, am I going to get surrounded by even more cop cars on Saturday morning when I have to drive to work before the crack of dawn?  At least they issued a new round of essential services travel documents today if that does happen.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I suspect it will be extended. I honestly don't see anything getting any better until majority of Ontarions are inoculated.

I am extremely skeptical it will take that long. What's most crucial is getting the vaccine out to those who are most at risk of severe COVID and protect them and our health care system. Once we reach that point, there will be precious little justification for all but the most mild of measures, such as masks and a ban on superspreader events like conventions, concerts, and the like.

...or at least that's what I tell myself, because the thought of waiting until the majority of the population is vaccinated, at the glacial tempo we're going at, is too awful to contemplate.

Then we'll be able to all collectively calm down and start pointing fingers and going in circular arguments about our atrocity of a health care system and making sure it never improves!

• Thanks 1

Just need some clarification regarding the vaccinations, why would masks and other measures like banning those super spreader gatherings if we've been inoculated (excepting those not able to be vaccinated)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Benton Harper said:

Just need some clarification regarding the vaccinations, why would masks and other measures like banning those super spreader gatherings if we've been inoculated (excepting those not able to be vaccinated)

I was referring to those measures being in place in the timeframe between when the vulnerable have been vaccinated and before we have reached total population immunity.

• Like 1

I was referring to those measures being in place in the timeframe between when the vulnerable have been vaccinated and before we have reached total population immunity.

That's what I've been wondering as well. In some places it sounds like they're planning on keeping full restrictions going until the last inoculation is done. But if the at risk population is largely vaccinated and that leads to a heavy drop in hospitalizations and deaths, then I'd think mask in close contact situations/wash hands/stay home when ill and minor limits to prevent heavy crowding would be all that's needed. Granted I'm just a dumb citizen and not a scientist or medical professional trying to ram a report through to meet a deadline or a high profile figure trying to legislate nature 🙄

• Like 1

The importance of following instructions regarding two doses within 21 days of each other for maximum effectiveness. In this case, they took the second doses and reallocated them as first doses to expanded vaccination efforts with the limited supply on-hand. 

52 percent with one dose. 95 percent with two doses. 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/seven-quebecers-test-positive-for-covid-19-despite-first-vaccination-heightening-questions-over-delayed-boosters-1.5265389?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvnews%3Apost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0dZ6PIbxURGLg4KSfLpYIWDrqUp8ugAiiSPVUC4xuX7bFhBsc7UeWvv40

In other news, Montreal police are still ticketing people who have essential employment letters. Especially not everyone can clear out by 8 PM if taking public transit or live a far distance away form their workplace. 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-evening-shift-workers-slapped-with-curfew-fines-despite-authorization-letters-1.5263664

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

In other news, Montreal police are still ticketing people who have essential employment letters. Especially not everyone can clear out by 8 PM if taking public transit or live a far distance away form their workplace. 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-evening-shift-workers-slapped-with-curfew-fines-despite-authorization-letters-1.5263664

Lovely.  I haven't heard anything about any of the thousand dollar tickets that were issued back in the spring getting resolved one way or another yet and it looks like another round of that nonsense has already started up in Quebec.  I saw another article this morning saying that homeless there were being given tickets too but where are they supposed to go?

The issued us updated essential services worker letters yesterday so I'll have to print that out before I head to the building Saturday morning and hope for the best.

That list I wrote up a few posts back?  I forgot a big one.  The "iron ring" around the old folks homes.  It never even had a chance to rust out because it never got put in place to begin with.  Great idea, totally dead on arrival, typical Ontario lack of follow through on the execution.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

I read that some 'personal services' (mostly hair salon / barbershops) have gone 'underground' in Alberta. (I need to find one of these 'underground' barbershops.. )

Same here in Ontario where some of the "personal services" are going underground. Especially when my local hair salon, employees had to undergo additional training to provide those services along with adjustment to their setup such as physical distancing. On top how to handle haircuts with personal protective equipment (masks).

An article how there is so much confusion that even those that enforce the "state of emergency" laws in Ontario are unsure how to interpret. Most of the time, the answer is "at their own discretion."

https://outline.com/8cMCqh

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I saw another article this morning saying that homeless there were being given tickets too but where are they supposed to go?

Indoors, obviously!

Who knew that the solution to homelessness was so simple and elegant?

7 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

That list I wrote up a few posts back?  I forgot a big one.  The "iron ring" around the old folks homes.  It never even had a chance to rust out because it never got put in place to begin with.  Great idea, totally dead on arrival, typical Ontario lack of follow through on the execution.

I don't know how true this is, because I didn't watch the press conference, but apparently when they were announcing the latest round of measures they said that the vaccine was supposed to constitute that "iron ring" that they were distributing now. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was true because it basically admits we had no strategy except for banking on a vaccine we had no idea would be successful. What if it hadn't been? Would the plan be to stay locked down forever? After all, when all is said and done, who really needs to go outdoors, or to form human relationships, or to work, or to exercise, or to travel, or to feel any joy at all?

And speaking of which, given how many places threatened that we wouldn't get back to normal life until the vaccine, it is remarkable how unprepared they are now that their hypothetical vaccine actually ended up materializing. In the Czech Republic, they've got enough vaccine doses, but insufficient needles and syringes, because OF COURSE. It is beyond infuriating how little thought has gone into every single decision made around the globe this past year.

Meanwhile, in the country that God forgot, they appear to be yet again focusing on testing. My grandparents belong to the group that was supposed to be receiving their vaccinations in March, but there are rumblings that this may be deferred to fucking JULY. Why??? Only heaven knows.

Scientists have come out and said that mass testing isn't the way, considering health care personnel are at a premium as it is, and that they should be focusing on vaccinations, to which the PM, otherwise famed for insulting the population and his own cabinet members publicly, attacked them as liars who are politicizing the virus and dancing on the graves of the dead.

What a relief it is to know that there's no danger of any meaningful, humane action being taken any time soon! All of this happens at the same time as a healthy 31 year old tennis star, and her husband, are under fire for receiving the vaccine now despite being ineligible at this stage to do so, to which she said that "she had only received the vaccine by accident while accompanying a loved one to the hospital and had no idea that she was making a mistake and at the same time, called on people not to be afraid of vaccinations and hopes that they will promote vaccination". Meanwhile, there are now three freezer trucks in Nitra...

• Like 2

I don't know how true this is, because I didn't watch the press conference, but apparently when they were announcing the latest round of measures they said that the vaccine was supposed to constitute that "iron ring" that they were distributing now. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was true because it basically admits we had no strategy except for banking on a vaccine we had no idea would be successful. What if it hadn't been? Would the plan be to stay locked down forever? After all, when all is said and done, who really needs to go outdoors, or to form human relationships, or to work, or to exercise, or to travel, or to feel any joy at all?

And speaking of which, given how many places threatened that we wouldn't get back to normal life until the vaccine, it is remarkable how unprepared they are now that their hypothetical vaccine actually ended up materializing. In the Czech Republic, they've got enough vaccine doses, but insufficient needles and syringes, because OF COURSE. It is beyond infuriating how little thought has gone into every single decision made around the globe this past year.

The politicians have hitched everything on the vaccine.  Everything.  If they hadn't come through, the situation we'd be in now would've been abysmal because they've been unable and, frankly, unwilling to work around COVID-19 and it's been go sideways indefinitely until vaccine rollout.  Even then we're hearing all sorts of things about how things can't go back to normal even after mass inoculation.  Take away the big incentive there and it'll be a lot harder for people who are nervous or skeptical to get over their hesitancy to get vaccinated and that's bad news.  What the pandemic has done is expose our politicians for what they are:  professional career bullshit artists.  They're not problem solvers by any means.  Given the problem of "How do we work around this mess?" their answer has been to completely freeze up and stare like a deer in the headlights while they wait for the pharmaceutical industry to come to the rescue.

The pharmaceutical industry did come to the rescue though, in record time.  And they were caught completely unprepared for that.  Remember how flatfooted Trudeau was caught when asked back in November what the vaccine distribution plan was?  Huh?  Plan?  We knew the vaccines were in testing and coming soon and yet nobody thought to make a plan for when the did arrive to be able to hit the ground running fast.  I guess things aren't so bad here like you said the Czech Republic doesn't even have enough syringes to shoot up the doses they do have on hand.  It's been like watching Three Stooges shows.  CRASH!  Hey Moe!  BONK!  Larry, you idiot!  That was Doug Ford's cheesecake you dropped on the floor!  Is Curly still in quarantine?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Just more poor planning especially extending the timeline to 42 days instead of 21 to insure more availability. At the same time, that means more careful precautions for much longer to better accommodate. Noting that the suppliers are having challenges trying to manufacture enough production to supply the billion of doses requested by the many different countries.

Especially the pharmaceutical companies know they are making profit from the demand alone. Reading about the myths regarding how the vaccine was created and tested. Having to ensure enough PPE (personal protective equipment) until the vaccine is fully effective.

In other news, CBC Marketplace did an episode regarding PPE (personal protective equipment). Especially from a hospital standpoint.

The metrics keep changing. Case levels have to drop below 1,000/day to lift lockdowns. 

Especially when the last few days reported cases over 3,000 while today, it is just over 2,500 with a lower amount of testing done this month. Until vaccine doses become more available, it will be another few months having to deal with the complex restrictions constantly changing. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7583976/ontario-coronavirus-cases-must-drop-to-1000-to-lift-lockdowns/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3kPNqMmRVGziyENf7chBj4ZbDPfslqZSgT41hFa6Edv_96N-NGujT1m9U

In the same province, they are looking to hire 100 additional inspectors to ensure compliance regarding capacity and physical distancing restrictions. If each inspector costs a total of $100,000/each for the equipment and other resources to conduct their job duties, it would be around $10 million dollars annually. Trying to increase resources to manage the pandemic. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7581984/ontario-expanding-big-box-inspection-blitz-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR24pcbR1B4ntf3SKPw0hPazftOi9EypLUdT3YWPg-UyBgE0dtseHtseIHY

• Sad 1

Ontario patients expected to live more than a year will get priority care if hospitals are overwhelmed: documents

"Once we get to the 550 number, which we will exceed for sure, that is where a potential triage protocol could be implemented whereby patients who are more likely to survive their COVID-19 or other illness will be given life support preferentially over others if those resources are not available for everybody," he said.

We live in a first world country, folks.

• Sad 1

1742664250_VaccineClinics.thumb.jpg.4137b850bb0692770b03d79c9f8eb81a.jpg

We sure do.  The Toronto Star's website proved that so well I couldn't let it pass without a screen capture and some highlighting.

Opened on Monday.  Will run out of supplies and close on Friday.  One whole business week of operation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1