COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

On 9/26/2020 at 5:28 PM, PCC Guy said:

This is co-existing with the virus, none of this cancel everything and anything you can think of bollocks because people with things to do are the enemy.

Sentences that aged like milk:

Slovakia orders partial lockdown, plans nationwide testing

Slovakia will shut most of its schools and

require the population to stay home apart from work, essential shopping and nature trips, in a partial lockdown to slow the spread of the coronavirus, Prime Minister Igor Matovic said on Thursday.

🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

• Sad 1
  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My great aunt passed this pass week, and after talking around, it turns out she was located at a home where there was an outbreak of COVID-19. I suspect that she passed due to the virus. I don’t think

There are people on this forum who have been selfish and stupid recently by still going out fanning. This past week someone on this forum actually took GO transit all the way to Niagara Falls jus

I got word a day or two ago that my 90-year-old Great Uncle who lives in London now has COVID-19 and is in severe condition.  I really hate to say this but he is probably not going to live much longer

Posted Images

Another thing... public washrooms closed due to (you know) covid. I thought there was a law that prohibits public places (like eateries and gas stations) from banning washroom use. Went to two gas stations and a KFC because I really needed to 'go'. At all of them the staffer said their public washrooms were closed due to covid. So what am I to do? Stand there and go " Oh, thanks for telling me, I guess I don't have to 'go' anymore"..

This is not bordering on ridiculous, it IS ridiculous. Just a lazy excuse not to let the public use the washroom so you don't have to clean it.

I did manage to make it to Safeway. I grabbed a cart, which was pulling to one side, and I had to go back out the exit and around to the entrance to grab a better cart, and then made a Bee Line to the sandbox. Fortunately I did not have to wait there.

I would be coping much better if it weren't for all this silliness. I can understand mask use, and physical distancing, hand washing and disinfecting high contact surfaces. But all this other 'covid response' nonsense has got to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Another thing... public washrooms closed due to (you know) covid. I thought there was a law that prohibits public places (like eateries and gas stations) from banning washroom use. Went to two gas stations and a KFC because I really needed to 'go'. At all of them the staffer said their public washrooms were closed due to covid. So what am I to do? Stand there and go " Oh, thanks for telling me, I guess I don't have to 'go' anymore"..

This is not bordering on ridiculous, it IS ridiculous. Just a lazy excuse not to let the public use the washroom so you don't have to clean it.

I did manage to make it to Safeway. I grabbed a cart, which was pulling to one side, and I had to go back out the exit and around to the entrance to grab a better cart, and then made a Bee Line to the sandbox. Fortunately I did not have to wait there.

I would be coping much better if it weren't for all this silliness. I can understand mask use, and physical distancing, hand washing and disinfecting high contact surfaces. But all this other 'covid response' nonsense has got to go.

Back in the spring, here in BC they closed the highway rest areas because of "covid" and replaced them with porta-potties.  Now thats some real Government "logic" 🧐😆

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Agreed.  It is ridiculous.  I've had coffee twice at Starbucks now and discovered that the washrooms have been kept closed.  The second time I came across that I was on the edge of asking the counter staff what they thought customers should do when the coffee they're serving inevitably makes it's way to the other end.  So, being the essential worker that I am, I drove in for an afternoon shift a few months ago, parked in the reasonably priced parking garage, and exited.  The vehicle and pedestrian access to the garage is off an alleyway and when I came out the door, there was a guy taking a leak facing away to me and he started saying sorry etc. and I told him not to worry, everyone's has to go, they've made sure there's nowhere to go, eventually this is going to be what happens.

21 hours ago, 9924 said:

Back in the spring, here in BC they closed the highway rest areas because of "covid" and replaced them with porta-potties.  Now thats some real Government "logic" 🧐😆

I've seen that in various places around here too.  Replace one washroom that needs to be cleaned with another washroom that needs to be cleaned.  The only thing I can say that's positive about it is at least they're still providing something, otherwise the situation above would be even more common.

Lets talk about Halloween:  Everything else considered, this should've been a great Halloween.  It took place on a Saturday night.  There was a full moon.  The weather was good.   Enough above zero that it wasn't cold.  No wind, so no windchill and nothing getting blown all over.  No snow.  No rain.  And if kids stayed out late past their bedtimes, it's no problem because Sunday isn't a school day plus the clocks went back last night so everyone got an hour of sleep back.  Unfortunately, Doug Ford and Trudeau and the rest of the motley crue waffled back and forth so much on this one with can it be done safely, can't it be done safely, should it vary by region, or should the whole thing be cancelled to save Christmas?  They finally settled on yes, it can be done safely, at least in most places, a couple of days before but by then it was so thoroughly cancelled the whole thing was a bust.  And despite Halloween effectively being cancelled to save Christmas as they were saying, it's looking like that's going to be for nothing because Trudeau showed up in the media on Tuesday last week making noises about dropping the axe on Christmas.

The truly awful behaviour last night wasn't from any of the usual suspects in the political sphere.  It was one of my next door neighbours.  I didn't do any decorating and left the porch light on which has been on ever since my previous car was stolen and had candy on hand knowing that might prompt people to knock on the door so my first thought was, if anyone does knock on the door, I'll give them candy, but not set the place up or put on a costume or anything like that.  The first knock came and I saw there were a handful of others out there trick or treating so I grabbed the styrofoam pumpkin with the LED eyes that light up blue out of the closet and put it out and had a low key Halloween handing out candy to maybe a quarter or a third the people that normally come by.  The next door neighbours to one side never do anything for Halloween or Christmas, that's fine it's there choice, but the piece of work lady next door wasn't content to leave the light off and make it clear her place wasn't participating.  She decided to spend most of the evening sitting on her front porch smoking cigarettes watching how the pandemic's turned Halloween into a giant bust for the handful of people out there.  The result was seriously confused kids and parents because it looked like she was sitting on her front porch to hand out candy even though she wasn't and was simply spectating, and she would shoo children off when they started down the walkway.  Honestly, if you're not going to participate, fine, but if you want to sit outside and smoke, do it in your back yard, don't pull this miserable nasty crap on kids.

And it's the kids that are being made to suffer the most out of this.  First they cancelled Easter.  Then they cancelled the whole damn summer to the point that parents were terrified of getting hit with thousand dollar tickets if their kids ignored the caution tape and ran onto park playgrounds while grouchy old fogies were able to hit the links back in April, then they cancelled Thanksgiving, school has been a total cluster and that whole mess is far from settled yet, then this whole Halloween on/off again debacle, and now Trudeau's hinting that Christmas is going to be going on the chopping block too.  I was joking around on the phone with a friend this afternoon and came up with a marketing phrase to sell scrapping Christmas (say it out loud for proper effect - it rhymes when you hear it but not if you read it):  "Save a senior, shoot a reindeer!"

• Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Some recent thoughts:

-  Let me see if I understand this correctly:  We wasted the whole late spring, summer, and early fall to 'flatten the curve' when COVID-19 cases were running at around 10% of the volume they are now, and now the politicians are waffling between either doing nothing or slamming businesses in Toronto.

-  Dr. Tam has changed her prescription.  Again.  Masks went from being unnecessary, to not only unnecessary but could create additional problems for you, to absolutely necessary, to not only are they absolutely necessary but the layer count just increased from two to three layers.  This isn't "evolving" anything, this is all over the damn map.  I've lost track of the number of times I've seen the CBC write "...weeks after other countries."  We aren't leading the world.  We aren't middle of the pack.  We're consistently behind the 8 ball and playing catch up, and that's not good, yet a lot of people are happy to excuse the litany of screw ups our own government's made because "it could be worse, we could have Donald Trump".  That's not a high bar to meet.  My cat isn't Donald Trump.  And it's no excuse for letting our own people off the hook for abysmal performances.

-  I talked with my parents and told them about the disgraceful behaviour of that nasty piece of work next door on Halloween.  They're ok with it.  They're not adversely affected by it so they don't care, and don't care about anybody that was.  Things couldn't be more different when the shoe's on the other foot though.  They're absolutely terrified that there is the possibility that they might get COVID-19 and if they do, it might go badly despite the vast statistical probability in favour of recovering fine.  These are the same people that used to tell me, "sometimes you just have to deal with it", after I got caught in a wrong place, wrong time shit happens accident and nearly got blown to smithereens more than 20 years ago.  Well yes, you get caught up in something like that and it's pretty much non-negotiable you do have to deal with it.  The burns, the broken teeth, the damaged balance, the seriously uneven walking, etc. the whole works.  Cripes, one look at the shoes and boots on the mat by the door's a dead giveaway that that's still a work in progress with the way they wear down but it's no biggie because it happened to someone else.  But the possibility that COVID-19 could happen to them's another matter entirely.  Shut down the world indefinitely because this is not acceptable to any self-respecting entitled baby boomer.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

-  Let me see if I understand this correctly:  We wasted the whole late spring, summer, and early fall to 'flatten the curve' when COVID-19 cases were running at around 10% of the volume they are now, and now the politicians are waffling between either doing nothing or slamming businesses in Toronto.

While I agree that our lack of preparation for this eventuality is startling, when I look at what's been happening in Victoria and, distressingly, the bulk of European nations, I have a feeling that if the worst thing that happens to us is a return to pre-stage 1 restrictions from the spring, we will find ourselves astronomically fortunate.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/03/covid-19-greece-and-austria-among-european-countries-to-impose-further-measures

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20201030-french-hunker-down-for-second-covid-19-lockdown-this-is-what-s-new

• Like 1
16 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

While I agree that our lack of preparation for this eventuality is startling, when I look at what's been happening in Victoria and, distressingly, the bulk of European nations, I have a feeling that if the worst thing that happens to us is a return to pre-stage 1 restrictions from the spring, we will find ourselves astronomically fortunate.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/03/covid-19-greece-and-austria-among-european-countries-to-impose-further-measures

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20201030-french-hunker-down-for-second-covid-19-lockdown-this-is-what-s-new

I think it's coming.  I'm watching the Queen's Park announcement now and Adalstein Brown's on saying that his projections showing Ontario is expected to exceed multiple European jurisdictions that are now under lockdown.  This sounds like soft-pedaling the groundwork for some kind of Doug Ford announcement soon shutting down the province again.  All we can do is wait and see what happens.

Interestingly, one of the things he's going on again is how mortality due to COVID-19 in long term care homes has taken off.  Doug Ford put on a lot of good press conferences about that back in the spring but as people suspected, there hasn't been any followthrough on it and the same problem has reared its ugly head again.

As for CPAC or the Queens Park media people or whoever's responsible for producing these press conferences, this one's going exactly the same way as the first one back in March when Doug Ford said that we deserved to see the same data he saw when they were talking about the contents of the slides and nobody could see the slides.  It is now November and everyone watching live still can't see the slides.  Honest to peter this isn't rocket science.  Mirror the display on the computer.  Take the second mirrored output into a scan converter.  Take output of scan converter into video switcher.  Take the one camera that's locked off on the program buss.  Take the scan converted computer output on the preview buss.  Switch between them where it makes sense and alternate with a picture-in-picture over the guy's shoulder.  Fire the high school A/V club and hire some out of work professionals if you have to.  Edit:  Or fire the professionals and hire the high school A/V club if that's what's necessary.  Talking about slides that people can't see is not helpful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

It's coming:

Health experts push for ‘aggressive’ strategy called #COVIDZero to stamp out coronavirus

Haven't managed to make the flu go away after thousands of years, but yeah, this seems totally doable :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Especially this approach seems to cause more damage than what is currently being implemented. Noting there are two ways that a virus ends.

Medical end meaning that a vaccine or cure is found and the virus is eradicated. Though, I think it is most likely the second way being we learn how to live with it like the seasonal flu (that is how Spanish Flu ended once the virus loses enough steam to not be as deadly). HIV/AIDS is also a virus and no cure has been found. Only antiviral medication to offset the symptoms.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

It's coming:

Health experts push for ‘aggressive’ strategy called #COVIDZero to stamp out coronavirus

Haven't managed to make the flu go away after thousands of years, but yeah, this seems totally doable :rolleyes::rolleyes:

9 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Medical end meaning that a vaccine or cure is found and the virus is eradicated.

It is worth noting that only one human disease has been eradicated, and that is smallpox.  It took only 184 years between Edward Jenner developing the modern vaccine in 1796 and the WHO declaring smallpox extinct in 1980.  Even then, the smallpox virus is still stored in labs in the US and Russia, so there is the possibility of it being released either accidentally or through an act of terrorism.  This is just an indication that it is very, very, very hard to eradicate a virus.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

It's coming:

Looks like this bears repeating. Unfortunately there's just no way to end it all as abruptly as it all began.

10 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Though, I think it is most likely the second way being we learn how to live with it like the seasonal flu

Yes, that seems to be the general consensus among scientists.

9 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Even then, the smallpox virus is still stored in labs in the US and Russia, so there is the possibility of it being released either accidentally or through an act of terrorism.

Given that smallpox has been declared eradicated thanks to the vaccine, most if not all people should already be immune to it (or get vaccinated), so there shouldn't be the same disastrous situation even if the smallpox virus were to be released again (and I really don't wanna jinx it given how this year is going 😒).

• Sad 1

It's impossible for Ontario to hit least-restrictive green zone by Christmas, experts say

This is hardly the first time Dr. Williams has been severely contradicted in public by other experts and given the numbers involved, the amount of time between now and Christmas, and the two week recovery cycle, I tend to agree with the other experts' assessment.  What boggles me is that it's Tuesday and on Friday when I was driving into the city and running errands, I had the Doug Ford red zone press conference playing on the car radio live as it happened and got to hear the "I listen to Dr. Williams" and "there is no daylight between me and Dr. Williams" lectures Doug Ford gave as he read the riot act about this, and half a week later Dr. Williams put his foot in it again in grand style.  If I mention this latest screwup, I'm sure I'll hear all about how at least we don't have Donald Trump etc. to excuse it all yet again and how awful the situation in the United States is, which brings me to:

Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home

The Canadian Government probably asked nicely once, got ignored, and hasn't done anything since on this file which means the great airlift of 2020 is now underway.  I'm sure there's a generous amount of overlap between the grey haired old fogies that spent all spring, summer, and early fall screaming to keep the border closed until temperatures started dropping which prompted the inevitable, "Whaddaya mean I can't drive to Florida?" question to be asked and search for a loophole to be stared.  The loophole is this:  The old biddies are paying to ship their cars to Buffalo.  Truck drivers can cross no problem hauling personal vehicles being shipped as cargo.  The fly to the US loophole is still open so once the car's loaded up and on its way, the biddies hop into a chartered helicopter in Fort Erie and moments later land in Buffalo, go through customs, pick up the car, and head on their way south because enduring the awful Canadian winter, well, that's just untenable.  Keep the border closed - well, except for seniors escaping to nicer climes, of course.  Everyone else under the age of 70 can stuff themselves as usual.

What's really offensive to me as an essential services employee that's been worked to death the whole time but dumped on as one of the supposedly irresponsible contaminated plague-spreaders that's partying too much and being disrespectful of the elderly as we've all been lectured by the politicians and the old fogies themselves for months now, thank you to this court decision any of the grey haired biddies that weasel themselves through the loopholes to go south for the winter are going to have their healthcare covered if they do get COVID-19 at phenomenal expense courtesy of the taxes paid by working people like myself that have been getting maligned shit on the whole time.  That made me think about the whole working age vs. retiree situation I did an informal survey and talked to a bunch of co-workers and friends who've been essential serviced the whole time and asked if any senior citizens said thank you for doing your part in keeping society running through the pandemic at risk to your own health and the answer was no, without exception.  I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Meanwhile, how long is it until the authorities get notified if you buy something like this because you might have COVID-19 symptoms and be trying to conceal them:

0FA10BCE-3C16-426D-97D1-F5D26626D029.thumb.jpeg.72132d7a8ca5b773753640d087c45dc6.jpeg

I bought that because I’ve got some seasonal allergies that are acting up again as usual as they do every year, but the wood dust getting kicked up from assembling a cabinet in the basement is making them worse.  At what point are people going to have to account for cold medication purchases in case they’re trying to hide COVID-19 symptoms which broadly overlap a whole lot of other things that have existed for eons before the pandemic started?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home

--

What's really offensive to me as an essential services employee that's been worked to death the whole time but dumped on as one of the supposedly irresponsible contaminated plague-spreaders that's partying too much and being disrespectful of the elderly as we've all been lectured by the politicians and the old fogies themselves for months now, thank you to this court decision any of the grey haired biddies that weasel themselves through the loopholes to go south for the winter are going to have their healthcare covered if they do get COVID-19 at phenomenal expense courtesy of the taxes paid by working people like myself that have been getting maligned shit on the whole time. 

If it's any consolation, those 'old fogies' are likely screwing themselves if they do have to go into the shop while they're down south in some areas. I remember the hospitals in Florida from when my grandparents were in them at different times during their final years. Some of those facilities were run like crap. (Think mega healthcare conglomerate pinching pennies and not giving those pennies to their staff) I can't even imagine how bad they are now with C19.

-------

Ah, I'll throw a little update of my own on here just to vent a bit :lol:

Healthwise I've actually not gotten sick since this whole thing began. I've had a few normal allergy flares over the summer after being exposed to too much dust or musty basement corner but those have all only lasted a day or two. I thought I had a fever one day when checking my temp starting work, but that turned out to be a defective thermometer. This year I'm not procrastinating on a flu shot, plan to stop by the pharmacy for one soon.

For my job I've been one of the lucky folks who never did get furloughed, laid off, or even reduced on salary or hours. They have frozen raises for now and we are very limited on OT, but we still get our monthly bonuses on performance metrics if we hit certain criteria. (which are actually not out of reach most months)  Overall I'm really glad I stayed put and didn't try to jump to another career last year like I was sort of debating at one point.

Ironically I did get furloughed from my volunteer job for a couple months during the Minnesota stay-at-home order. I ended up being one of the first to come back on an unofficial basis though as they needed assistance with assembling a whole bunch of new equipment, shelving, etc. they were able to obtain via Covid assistance grants for social services organizations. Basically our humble food shelf has gone from a sort of dreary storeroom maze to a mini supermarket complete with a full produce section. We are super excited to someday start in person shopping again for clients, but currently everything is still packed for curbside pickup or delivery due to limiting contact.

For day to day life I'm not really impacted as much now compared to normal. Except the masks, ugh, I still have yet to find one that fits tight around my nose and doesn't fog out my glasses! I do find myself avoiding crowds when possible. (I love going grocery shopping at 1am after work, have the whole store to myself, fresh bakery, and they're usually re-stocking the savings deal items) I've also been driving more vs. taking transit for daily travel. Though I am back on the buses for going to work or a short outing 2-3 times a week. Overall the state has settled into the new normal of day to day life with masks, distancing, plexiglass and sanitizer everywhere. Minnesota has skyrocketed in cases and deaths in recent weeks. Hospital capacity is also alarmingly full. And yet they're starting the process of converting one of the hospitals in St. Paul from being a back-up COVID treatment unit to a homeless shelter. 🙄 We recently got new restrictions on late night dining, largely due to the virus spread happening among the 18-35 crowd. Bars and any dine-in have to close 10pm-4am. There will also be an announcement on canceling most youth and college sports leagues for the rest of the year tomorrow. The state has been expanding test sites and access. Now if you want one you can actually get one.

In terms of transit-fanning I am itching to go on a trip somewhere! Ugh, I'd love to hop on a plane to London (England), Toronto or Vancouver right now. For the time being I've been focusing on other interests besides transit as I'm a tad bored just taking photos of the Twin Cities transit scene every week. I've been going for little drives to check out various towns around the area. Also been 'fanning' more retail and stuff I like to document but just didn't really focus on as much before. Realistically I'm planning on continuing to stay put in my region for the next 3-6 months. For variety I can still visit the other Minnesota systems or do a road trip to a neighboring state perhaps. I am thinking over the winter possibly flying somewhere warm for a couple of days, but that's going to be dependent on the current situation there and how things are looking. I'll probably end up just staying home.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The Canadian Government probably asked nicely once, got ignored, and hasn't done anything since on this file which means the great airlift of 2020 is now underway.  I'm sure there's a generous amount of overlap between the grey haired old fogies that spent all spring, summer, and early fall screaming to keep the border closed until temperatures started dropping which prompted the inevitable, "Whaddaya mean I can't drive to Florida?" question to be asked and search for a loophole to be stared.  The loophole is this:  The old biddies are paying to ship their cars to Buffalo.  Truck drivers can cross no problem hauling personal vehicles being shipped as cargo.  The fly to the US loophole is still open so once the car's loaded up and on its way, the biddies hop into a chartered helicopter in Fort Erie and moments later land in Buffalo, go through customs, pick up the car, and head on their way south because enduring the awful Canadian winter, well, that's just untenable.  Keep the border closed - well, except for seniors escaping to nicer climes, of course.  Everyone else under the age of 70 can stuff themselves as usual.

What's really offensive to me as an essential services employee that's been worked to death the whole time but dumped on as one of the supposedly irresponsible contaminated plague-spreaders that's partying too much and being disrespectful of the elderly as we've all been lectured by the politicians and the old fogies themselves for months now, thank you to this court decision any of the grey haired biddies that weasel themselves through the loopholes to go south for the winter are going to have their healthcare covered if they do get COVID-19 at phenomenal expense courtesy of the taxes paid by working people like myself that have been getting maligned shit on the whole time.  That made me think about the whole working age vs. retiree situation I did an informal survey and talked to a bunch of co-workers and friends who've been essential serviced the whole time and asked if any senior citizens said thank you for doing your part in keeping society running through the pandemic at risk to your own health and the answer was no, without exception.  I'm disappointed but not surprised.

To be fair, I highly doubt that the same people who were pushing to keep the border closed are the ones who are travelling south now for the winter. As far as I can tell, the amount of people who were in hysterics back in March is very similar the number of people in hysterics now. Sure, you'll get the odd person who has tailored their opinion to reflect the updated level of risk that we face, but as far as the overwhelming majority of people is concerned, things are exactly as fucked now as they are in March.

I share your offence as a fellow essential services employee, however. It is ridiculous that I've been breaking my back every day during all of this lunacy, dealing with the chronically entitled and out of touch, and the thanks that I get for that is all the armchair virologists on the internet want to take away even going for long walks far away from home from me 😭 Of course, the option to travel was never on the table for me. Next year.

As U.S., U.K. plan to roll out vaccines in December, Canada largely silent on distribution

Frankly, the headline alone should put a stop to the idea that this country is doing a "good job" handling COVID-19.

The kicker is, here, Trudeau and company have pinned absolutely everything on one or more successful vaccines arriving to get the pandemic well under control by steadfastly refusing to manage around it by approving mitigation treatments (there's another CBC article about how Health Canada finally approved one that was domestically developed right here weeks after it had been approved for use elsewhere), approving and deploying rapid testing to allow people to resume life as close to normal as possible by having widespread screening to catch it quickly and early, the National Post has done plenty of articles about that, and the all over the map guidance from Dr. Tam.  So, given that they've hung everything on the arrival of a vaccine, you'd think with three vaccines now imminent with possibly more following close behind, Trudeau eager to outline what the light at the end of the tunnel looks like and what the plan is to get there from where we are now.  If nothing else, by sketching out what the plan to get from here to there is, it would probably go far towards easing the frustration and pushback towards the lockdowns and restrictions that might be necessary during the intervening time so there's everything to gain and nothing to lose from doing that and yet, as the headline and the article says, silence.

• Like 4

On 11/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Frankly, the headline alone should put a stop to the idea that this country is doing a "good job" handling COVID-19.

Starting to think that not jumping the gun might not be the worst thing.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-data-isnt-up-to-snuff/

Christ alive, there's no end in sight, is there? 😐

On 11/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, PCC Guy said:

Starting to think that not jumping the gun might not be the worst thing.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-data-isnt-up-to-snuff/

Christ alive, there's no end in sight, is there? 😐

Pfizer's and Moderna's studies appear to have been done with the appropriate scientific rigour so I'm not too concerned about those two.  Unfortunately, it's clear that the Astra-Zeneca vaccine isn't ready for prime time yet but on closer read of that article, I don't think their vaccine is a writeoff yet.  The data from the smaller studies particularly about the increased efficacy of the smaller doses that they tried to aggregate shouldn't be taken to mean too much yet, but what it does do is provide an informed basis for setting the parameters for conducting a proper, full size phase 3 trial.  If they do that, then there'll be useful statistically valid data to draw conclusions from.  As it stands now, there are two vaccines that are ready to go to mass manufacture and distribution as soon as government regulatory clearances are given, with Astra-Zeneca still a strong possibility albeit delayed pending a proper phase 3 trial, plus the other candidates that are still in progress too, so vaccines are coming soon-ish.

And soon-ish brings up the whole issue of since we don't have the industrial capability to make any of that here, we're automatically minimum second place in line behind countries that do have that capability.  It's shades of the whole PPE debacle from the spring all over again.  I'm really hoping that this leads to some serious thoughts about domestic manufacturing in general.  If you don't have the main plant or a branch plant located in your country, you're completely at the mercy of someone else who does and you're going to be second in line behind them at a minimum for receiving output.

Canada's been happy to let deindustrialization take place for decades now and buy slightly cheaper from more populated countries like the United States or blocs like the European Union where there are larger economies of scale to be had instead of spend a bit more to keep domestic industry running.  However, one crisis, one natural disaster, one significant disruption from business as usual, the moment something major happens that kicks the instinctive "me first" protectionism into action in a big way and the whole idea of buying from somewhere else falls apart when the people in charge of that somewhere else restrict export sales and prices skyrocket due to multiple customers vying to buy the limited quantities available and bidding wars start.  We need to think long and hard about keeping a strategic cross section of industrial base active here and the fact that yes, it's going to cost some amount of money vs. large economies of scale jurisdictions vs. low wage slave labour and lax regulatory environment jurisdictions, otherwise we'll get caught with our pants down again and again every time something serious happens and we're living through a painful example of that right now.

• Like 2

Late addition:

The Toronto Star has a great article about the domestic manufacturing of critical products issue I was getting at that covers the ugly history succinctly and correctly points out that Trudeau has said nothing about fixing this situation.  Here's an alternate link in case you're out of free articles.

Bottom line, all the free trade deals out there have exemptions on national security grounds and traditionally that's been a United States beneficiary thing (WE get to use the national security exemptions) but Canada has used them in the past consistently to award navy shipbuilding contracts to domestic yards to retain that industrial capability here.  The pandemic has demonstrated why those national security provisions in every trade agreement need to be exercised to retain a lot more strategic industrial capability here because you never know what's going to happen and what internationally sourced supplies are going to dry up, and we've been caught seriously unprepared multiple times over the last nine months.  Any politician who thinks it's acceptable to let it slide so this can happen again needs to be turfed out at the next election.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Switzerland riles Alpine neighbours by keeping its ski resorts open

https://www.ft.com/content/392f6801-2128-4101-a560-ea13e69e6f1c

Mr Granvik, the hotelier, hoped the government would hold its nerve. “I understand shopping for food is a necessity and skiing is not. But at the same time, you cannot take everything away from people — you have to give people some glimmer of hope.”

Lockdowns in Alberta again. Effective midnight Sunday Dec. 13, 2020. Retail can stay open with 15% capacity, but Pools, Barbershops, Estheticians are closing, along with dine-in services for restaurants. Mandatory social gathering and mask laws take effect immediately.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-alberta-reatrictions-1.5832682?fbclid=IwAR13STqG-vMP9cc0uiZtnO_XkvaeTrd4gpmIU5XpXxte-LyZ0vd8x2sbXSo

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Lockdowns in Alberta again. Effective midnight Sunday Dec. 13, 2020. Retail can stay open with 15% capacity, but Pools, Barbershops, Estheticians are closing, along with dine-in services for restaurants. Mandatory social gathering and mask laws take effect immediately.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-alberta-reatrictions-1.5832682?fbclid=IwAR13STqG-vMP9cc0uiZtnO_XkvaeTrd4gpmIU5XpXxte-LyZ0vd8x2sbXSo

Reminds me of how I will know Friday regarding my region if it will escalate to red or grey level (live somewhere in Ontario).

Especially before the holidays. I feel bad for those that have to remain closed even with protocols in-place considering the holidays are coming up very soon. 

From taking a look at the stories on the various CBC local sites:

Hamilton lockdown likely

I'll cut to the chase and lift a quote out of the CBC article that inadvertently highlights how absurd the whole situation is:

Mayor Fred Eisenberger said:

"The frustrating part is we see ... retail is doing what it needs to do. The suspicion is it's social activities in our community … all the recommendations we put forward don't matter much if people are just ignoring them," he said in a media update on Monday.

If retail is doing what it needs to do and that's not where the problem's occurring, how does he think locking it down is going to solve anything?  Seriously.  Right there in that quote, the mayor of Hamilton hit the nail on the head why lockdowns have been a lot less effective than one would think at first glance.

• Like 2

With 10 months of learning, gaining experience, with tools being added to the box like rapid testing that theoretically could have been used to resume something more akin to a normal life, with vaccines starting to be administered, somehow none of it matters?  Painful and expensive lessons that were learned are being ignored.  The tools, the rapid tests, they're not being used because for whatever reason, Trudeau has gotten out every excuse to prolong the crisis instead of getting out every tool and tactic to manage around it and get on with life.  Even with vaccines starting up, he hasn't sketched out what the endgame looks like, the we're here, normal's there, this is how we get from here to there and incrementally resume typical activities as vaccines roll out and the ability to test and manage improves.  Instead, he seems to want to go sideways forever.  Or, backwards even considering that the best that the provincial and federal government can do after almost 10 months of learning but ignoring the lessons, acquiring but not using tools, and having months and months over the summer and fall to make plans but not come up with anything, all they've got after all that is a return to Stage 1, ca. March, 2020?  I consider this and the mishandling of events leading up to it an abysmal failure.

And, does anyone even really believe that this lockdown's going to be for "only" 28 days?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Welp, I was suppose to take my G1 exit (G2 entry) test on the 15th of Jan., but thanks to the sudden deceleration of a lockdown by the Ford gov., my test is now de facto cancelled. I've been waiting since early September to get this test, since it's already been backed logged from the last province wide lockdown. Thankfully, our Mayor Jim Watson and Ottawa Public Health disagree with the duration of the lockdown so MAYBE there is a sliver of hope that they can convince the Ford government to reduce the lockdown from 28 > 14., which would make the lockdown expire at 12:01 AM, January 8th. Maybe then my testing could be saved, avoiding yet another couple of months of delays. I was REALLY looking forward to break free from the hell hole that is OC Transpo, but I guess by cabinet directive, I'll have to endure the risk of public transit for much longer than I have hoped for...

For those wondering outside of Ontario, a G2 class permits me to drive on my own. I currently have a G1 that's a learners permit, meaning I need a G-dependent driver with me when operating a motor vehicle like a car. I can't drive on 400 series highways and always (as mentioned), need a dependent so my car is basically a prop most of week, doing nothing... Can't drive to work, to run errands, etc.

Screenshot 2020-12-23 065836.png