COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

RailBus63

Haha, well I better place my bets... Driving test is April 9th... Ford is gonna decide if he wants Peel and Toronto (or the whole GTA basically) to single handedly take the whole province down given they account for nearly half the amount of COVID daily cases or maybe move those areas to white SAHO (Stay At Home Order). I hope ford lets PHU individually decide on whether to lock down or not. I know the Ottawa Health Officer wouldn't put us in lockdown. Her and Jim Watson have always been against the lockdowns, especially the last one. Yes, Ottawa's number have increased, but now they're hovering around 120 from the usual 80 or so. Granted there was that one day spike to 184 to match the highest record set originally on Jan 10, but for a city with 300K less people than Peel, we're doing exceptionally well. Fuck, I've never been so nervous in my life and watching the news like the gospel telling me when doomsday will arrive, and my test us only 9 days away... I actually went to DriveTest today to see if they were still doing "walk-in's" in case there were cancelled test and what not. Sadly, they told me since C-19, it's 100% appointment only so even if there was an appointment no show, then I wouldn't be able to take it.

Gawd... Hopefully, he won't make an announcement this weekend, but the next (after Easter, so like the 9th... ?), because then I could be safe and actually not have my test cancelled on me again. Let me clear, I don't want another lockdown to be implemented for anyone or region, but I certainly understand our healthcare systems are becoming more occupancies than before, but at the same time, don't want to be punished for the acts COV-Idiots which are beyond my control (remember, we still haven't found a vaccine to protect against stupidity), especially given the majority of these numbers are coming within the GTA, 400+km away from Ottawa.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

maybe move those areas to white SAHO (Stay At Home Order).

Mmmm... they'll have one hell of a job trying to get people to stay cooped up indoors now that nicer weather is finally here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Mmmm... they'll have one hell of a job trying to get people to stay cooped up indoors now that nicer weather is finally here.

I don't know...  I'm on a community e-mail distribution list and some of my neighbours respond with messages such as "OMG!  If you dare leave your house, SOMEONE YOU LOVE IS GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!"  That and the fear-based Ontario COVID commercials showing a family dinner followed by an elderly man dying in hospital and the message "Stay home.  Save lives," is doing plenty to keep people indoors regardless of the weather.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

I don't know...  I'm on a community e-mail distribution list and some of my neighbours respond with messages such as "OMG!  If you dare leave your house, SOMEONE YOU LOVE IS GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!"  That and the fear-based Ontario COVID commercials showing a family dinner followed by an elderly man dying in hospital and the message "Stay home.  Save lives," is doing plenty to keep people indoors regardless of the weather.

Maybe so, but I don't think people like this make up any appreciable majority. I go for a long walk every day that it's nice, and the number of people I see out and about gets higher everyday. The parks and trails are filled. Pandora's box has well and truly been opened. If those in charge had an ounce of sense, they would be focusing on trying to get people outdoors instead of shutting them up inside again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Maybe so, but I don't think people like this make up any appreciable majority. I go for a long walk every day that it's nice, and the number of people I see out and about gets higher everyday. The parks and trails are filled. Pandora's box has well and truly been opened. If those in charge had an ounce of sense, they would be focusing on trying to get people outdoors instead of shutting them up inside again.

Before the pandemic I never saw the amount of people in my neighborhood going for walks, probably because they can’t do anything else..... (ie go to workout etc...)  before it would be maybe a random person walking the dog... 

• Like 2

Yes.  It's coming together.  All of the pieces are coming together.

• Statuary holiday long weekend for Easter coming up.
  • 16:00-midnight shift starts on Saturday for me.
  • Doug Ford announcement tomorrow with new restrictiongs getting dropped, likely to take effect over the weekend.

This almost sounds like the 1600-midnight shift run I had back in December that ended with me driving home from work half an hour into the new lockdown and being pulled over and boxed in because of "snow on my license plate" but a hell of a lot of questions about how the shift rotation at work is structured.

I'm going to be getting harrassed on my way to or from work this weekend, guaranteed.  I can see it now.

• Sad 2

All regions in Ontario are to be entered into a 4 week shutdown effective April 3rd at 12:01 AM or the so called "emergency brake" if cases increase over a certain period of time constraining health care resources. 

Ironic enough, they added another tier called "white" which is similar to grey, but allows retail to open with capacity restrictions. Previously, it had to be red level to enable retail to open with the same restrictions regarding capacity.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-to-enter-four-week-provincewide-covid-19-shutdown-on-saturday-1.5371041

Reading earlier how the Ottawa health officer would rather vaccinate people with one dose with 80 percent protection versus 95 percent protection with two doses. I understand that the one dose will increase the amount of people vaccinated, but I prefer going with two to ensure the full effect. Being time sensitive administering the two shots and important to follow what the company advises. 

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/etches-does-not-support-accelerating-second-doses-for-front-line-health-workers

• Sad 1

This bears repeating:

9B919850-FE15-4620-B850-C730C2CEEAA3.thumb.jpeg.934ddb2b762a9bba5144652a7cf7ca2a.jpeg

and is the primary reason why it will fail.

Essential workers who can’t work remotely need to be vaccinated to break the chain. Vaccinate on site if necessary.

Most galling is despite ALL of what this year has taught us, paid sick leave for all is still nowhere in sight. Depressing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

This bears repeating:

9B919850-FE15-4620-B850-C730C2CEEAA3.thumb.jpeg.934ddb2b762a9bba5144652a7cf7ca2a.jpeg

Essential workers who can’t work remotely need to be vaccinated to break the chain. Vaccinate on site if necessary.

Most galling is despite ALL of what this year has taught us, paid sick leave for all is still nowhere in sight. Depressing.

Ford keeps passing the buck to Trudeau...saying it’s his problem... that’s the problem...

14 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

This bears repeating:

You're right, it's bears repeating.  It bears repeating again and again.

The giant outbreak at that massive Canada Post sorting plant in Mississauga and the Amazon warehouse in Brampton that was forced to close down with 5,000 employees isolating, at least as best they can given their living circumstances, should've been enough to make it clear what's been going on.

The National Post did an article the other day about how some young people were to get vaccinated early because they live in apartment buildings with large populations of seniors in a test project with the idea that the seniors would be well protected if everyone in the buildings they live in were vaccinated and the building had herd immunity from it.  I thought it was an interesting idea, a good idea, but I thought it would be a more effective trial to do that with all three shifts working at one of these giant fulfilment centres and get herd immunity within the plant going to try and prevent COVID-19 from spreading on site, then being taken home into crowded living quarters and then from there into the community at large.

Anyways, someone either saw the National Post's article or caught wind of it some other way because the whole pilot project effectively got deep sixed when they saw that a handful of young people living in the test buildings with predominantly senior populations would be getting vaccinated early.  Only the seniors are getting vaccinated in the test buildings now and since it's no longer everyone getting shot up, the whole premise of the test's been invalidated now so the experiment's pretty much worthless.

So the situation we're in is this:

• We're vaccinating stay at home retirees in an age down no matter what deployment.  If you're an essential services worker who has to go to work at work, you're pretty much second last in line behind everyone else but ahead of children/youth that the vaccines haven't been fully tested and validated for.  Bus Medic, PCC Guy, myself, everyone else who falls into this category has to keep going into work and incurring risk while retirees who can stay home easily get vaccinated.
  • We're giving tax credits to work from home office drones.  Trudeau's $400 no questions asked, no receipts necessary tax credit for displaced office workers who have long, epic journeys fraught with peril to the kitchen table to flip open a work from home laptop are getting  a break on their taxes because they're incurring a little bit more utility costs from staying home, never mind they're way ahead saving their commute costs by not driving the crap out of their cars or tapping their presto cards twice a day, every day.  There is nothing you're an essential services worker who has to go to work at work.  Bus Medic, PCC Guy, myself, everyone else who falls into this category has to keep going into work and incurring their full commute costs without any tax credit or anything else.
  • We're no way, no how, not at all mandating paid sick leave for anybody.  If you're a retired senior, every day's a Saturday or a vacation day or a sick day.  If you're an office worker, most white collar jobs have sick leave in the benefits package.  If you're an essential services worker, you're at the mercy of your employer on benefits including sick time and it's been well documented now that the low compensation jobs (low cash pay + minimal or no benefits).  Bus Medic, PCC Guy, myself, everyone else who falls into this category has to keep going into work, do without, or take whatever benefits our employers provide.  The TTC at least has a decent benefits package.  ATU 113 has been pretty good about making sure about that.  My place, holy crow, our union?  The contract we're on was negotiated before the pandemic and management armtwisted to get an exclusion from the health and wellbeing section that was negotiated into it for the technical maintenance staff based in Toronto.  Luckily, thank god, that exclusion doesn't strip away the existing benefits package including sick leave for the technical maintenance staff.

I finished a long run of seven midnight shifts in a row on Wednesday morning.  See exclusion to the health and wellbeing section above, and they do it by splitting the excess length shift tours over two pay weeks to get away without paying overtime.  They cancelled my standby day on Wednesday and turned it into a "day off" even though I didn't leave work until 8:00 AM on my "day off", Thursday's my other "day off" and that way they don't have to pay out or give me an extra day off despite Good Friday being a statutory holiday, so with the health and wellbeing exclusion, I just did seven days of overnights into a "long weekend" but didn't get any extra time off or any extra money on account of the stat day.  So, between yet another round of cute gotcha aggressive scheduling, the long run of midnights itself, I was beat tired and in a really foul mood on Wednesday.

Then I put Trudeau's press conference on while I was cooking someting and he starts running his mouth about how it's so great so many people are getting vaccinated.  Yeah right, Canada's slipped from 40 to 43 for vaccine rollout.  Trudeau ran his mouth about how Canada has the most insane, draconian restrictive travel policies in the world.  Yeah right it's for our safety.  BS.  With the abysmal and keeps slipping down the chart vaccine rollout, you'd be safer pretty much anywhere else other than Brazil.  You'd certainly be safer across the border in the United States.  All of my American friends are vaccinated.  All of them have been vaccinated on the correct, manufacturer tested and validated schedule for timing the first and second doses in the two shot jobs, not the stretch it out widly and hope for the best bullshit they're trying to pull here.  Keeping the border closed isn't about keeping Canadians safe at this point.  Keeping the border closed is about keeping Trudeau's re-election prospects safe from people going away and coming back with firsthand accounts of how much better most other places have handled this than Canada has.

Then my parents called.  They'd been working their way down their phone list doing the "look what we got that you didn't" routine that they love to do because they got their Pfizer shots.  That just pissed me off.  This isn't like when they go calling everyone up to tell them about going to a really fancy, expensive, exclusive restaurant or on a six week vacation, or some exclusive access event, this is two healthy, wealthy retired baby boomers gloating about how their health's protected while I get to continue going to work every day wide open and my temper finally snapped.  When they asked how I was doing, I unloaded.  I vented about the whole situation at work.  I vented how I have to keep going to work.  I vented how there's no vaccine in sight for me.  I vented how there's no parts in sight for my truck so if I don't get COVID-19 on the job, I could get into an accident if one of the faulty airbags deploys and the dashboard on my truck explodes in my face while I drive there and back every day.  I vented how I haven't been able to see any of my American friends or do any trolley museum stuff for over a year with no end in sight.  I vented how everything on this side of the border has been cancelled for over a year with no end in sight since we've decided we can't do anything at all under any circumstances here no matter what.  I vented about the whole taxation situation I mentioned above.  I vented about how everyone I know who's in the same boat feels seriously crappy and depressed about it and that living alone has taken a toll.  Needless to say, they weren't happy and had a few really choice things to say about it to me.

I called up a family friend after that and we talked for over an hour.  She's about the same age they are and she's gotten her first round of Pfizer too .  Anyways, we had a long talk about the whole family mess that's been ongoing forever.  Basically, a year plus in, it's clear the age descending order no matter what vaccine rollout is slowly catching the seniors.  Good.  My view on it is this, if you're a a healthy, wealthy retiree and you've gotten at least one of your two shots, great, fantastic.  The pandemic's over for you.  I don't want to hear any more crap about how you're at risk.  I don't want to hear any more crap about how you're scared.  I don't want to hear any more blaming working age people.  Bus Medic's post that bears repeating bears repeating.  It's young people getting trotted out to work every day that are getting nailed.  It isn't young people having fun because that's been banned over a year now.  And if you want to relive your duck-and-cover youth and hide under your bed like a scared house cat, fine, you go do it.  But don't get in the way of me living my life any longer.

Sorry for the long post but the frustration's really been boiling over for me lately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

We're vaccinating stay at home retirees in an age down no matter what deployment.  If you're an essential services worker who has to go to work at work, you're pretty much second last in line behind everyone else but ahead of children/youth that the vaccines haven't been fully tested and validated for.  Bus Medic, PCC Guy, myself, everyone else who falls into this category has to keep going into work and incurring risk while retirees who can stay home easily get vaccinated.

In fairness, I don't object to retirees being prioritized for the vaccine, because they are still at the highest risk of undesirable outcome if they should catch COVID. I know I sleep a lot better at night with the knowledge that all of my surviving grandparents have at least one shot now. But then, they are living in a hopefully temporary apocalyptic hellscape that makes Ontario look like the Nordic countries, so I was much more terrified for them than I would be if they lived here.

What bothers me is all the officials who are out there lamenting the open appointments, and instead of opening the eligibility to a wider pool of people, they are instead chasing their tails trying to convince them to get the vaccine. Enough is enough. We have the vaccine, it's here, it's available. If someone doesn't want it, that is their prerogative, but society should not wait for them. Move right along to the next eligible group. I would be thrilled to get mine ASAP, provided that they get me my second shot within a reasonable timeframe instead of the 4 month speculation they've got going on now. Seeing how many people don't want to get the vaccine, this should cause little difficulty.

Enough.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

In fairness, I don't object to retirees being prioritized for the vaccine, because they are still at the highest risk of undesirable outcome if they should catch COVID. I know I sleep a lot better at night with the knowledge that all of my surviving grandparents have at least one shot now. But then, they are living in a hopefully temporary apocalyptic hellscape that makes Ontario look like the Nordic countries, so I was much more terrified for them than I would be if they lived here.

What bothers me is all the officials who are out there lamenting the open appointments, and instead of opening the eligibility to a wider pool of people, they are instead chasing their tails trying to convince them to get the vaccine. Enough is enough. We have the vaccine, it's here, it's available. If someone doesn't want it, that is their prerogative, but society should not wait for them. Move right along to the next eligible group. I would be thrilled to get mine ASAP, provided that they get me my second shot within a reasonable timeframe instead of the 4 month speculation they've got going on now. Seeing how many people don't want to get the vaccine, this should cause little difficulty.

Enough.

The problem is wayside’s parents pretty much rubbed it in his face that they got something he can’t and they know he can’t, that’s pretty shitty......and what’s really interesting is my mom could barely get a spot when her age group came up...every clinic was filled on York region when they opened it to 65+ And she was on the phone at 8am... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Enough.

I don't have any objection in principle either, but the premise that there's ony one severely at risk group that's the elderly is not true.  The Toronto Star's run a bunch of articles about that all of a sudden over the last couple of days that essential workers are also a large at risk group and now that the vaccine shortage is finally beginning to ease, it makes sense to do a multitrack program targeting all the large at risk groups to get a handle on the current wave that's going around.  Those National Post articles I linked to show that the government's adamant about running a senior's only approach to the point of nixing that test which would've seen a handful of below retirement age people vaccinated.  The open appointments problem is another problem.  Some of it's got to be vaccine hesitancy but some of it's got to be a combination of online booking and seniors, especially the 80+ group that went first, aren't going to be doing online bookings for anything in large number and if they don't have someone to do it for them, some are going to be left behind.  That's not good and it needs to be addressed.

53 minutes ago, pccstreetcar4549 said:

The problem is wayside’s parents pretty much rubbed it in his face that they got something he can’t and they know he can’t, that’s pretty shitty......

Thanks.  That's what made it boil over for me by the end of the day the other day.  This is pretty normal behaviour for my parents.  Whenever they get something or do something that's out of reach of everyone else, they go down their phone contact list and call everyone up about it or show pictures etc. at the next family gathering and make a big deal about how they got something you didn't.  In normal times bragging about the latest vacation or exclusive whatever isn't the nicest thing to do but it's pretty harmless.  A year plus into the pandemic, nasty variants circulating, media finally covering essential workers getting sick all over the GTA, I just searched my work email for COVID-19 exposure notices in the Toronto plant and there they are, March 1, March 23, March 26, March 30 and that's just the last month, calling me up and bragging "we just got vaccinated but we're staying home just to be safe" is pretty damn downright rude and at the end of a very long, crappy day, was what prompted the "You want to know how I'm doing?  This is how I'm doing..." from me that got them all pissed off.  I haven't asked my sister yet but she probably got the same phone call too.

When I was talking with the family friend about this yesterday, I ended up talking about the last normal times situation this happened with because my sister and I made it backfire.  You know that old hydroelectric plant in Niagara Falls that's been in the news because it's going to be open for tours later this summer?  The Niagara Parks Commission opened it up for tours as a test run during Doors Open Niagara in 2019.  Ok, so everyone knows this is the sort of thing I love right.  You think my parents told me about it ahead of time?  Or asked if I wanted them to book a ticket while they booked theirs?  No, of course not, but they'd made sure to get the DSLR pictures on to a laptop to show off and rub it in at the next family gathering.

So far so good except one of my friends who's also an electronics technologist and I were down in Niagara Falls in 2005 and we parked in the lot next to the plant and ended up bumping into one of the plant mechanics and talking with him,  and he invited us in for a very serious hard hat tour of the whole thing while it was still running.  I actually thought about applying for a job at Fortis Ontario after that except they shut the plant down just over a year later.  Then my sister piped up and said that she was going to be working down in the plant in a couple of weeks because the Niagara Parks Commission hired the company she worked for to do some work on the building and that they were all promised tours.  Then I decided you know what, I'm really going to make this backfire and rub it in, in reverse, and pointed out that of the four of us that will have seen that old power plant, I was the only one to have seen it running with all the equipment on, machines spinning.  My sister and I sure enjoyed sucking the wind out of the "you didn't get to do that" sails since we've both had our faces rubbed in it many, many, many times.

Rubbing in getting vaccinated like that to someone who can't and has to go out into the workplace every day where COVID-19's been known to go around, even if it isn't the huge numbers in the fulfilment centres or the food factories etc?  That's a new low for being rude.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Ironically, that power station will now be a permanent open exhibit starting July 1st:

https://www.niagaraparks.com/visit/attractions/niagara-parks-power-station

Elevator to the tail race tunnels to follow in phase two.

That was the big thing that puzzled me - the place already had a modern elevator from ground level to the wheel pit and tailrace section unless it deteriorated so badly between 2006 that it couldn't be a resurrected.  The irony that gets me though is there was one place we couldn't go in 2005, mainly the gallery under the generators because there was exposed live 11,500 volts out in the open on the buss bars, that sounds like is going to be open to tourists right away since none of it's a hazard anymore now that the place is shut down and disconnected from what was left of the 25 Hz grid.

On a COVID-19 note, on my way into work (What shutdown?  What long weekend?) this afternoon, I saw bylaw enforcement working over two kids who had their bikes leaned against a fieldhouse in a park.  Not this again.  So many other countries are vaccinating and moving on reopening, but here all we're getting is a rehash of last year, really.

Oh yeah, I got another phone call last night and got chewed up for speaking my mind on Wednesday.  Time to start letting calls go to voicemail again.

• Like 3

Implement staffing limits of not more than 50% for businesses and services deemed to be essential upon review.

I'm sorry... am I reading this right? Did these people really just suggest workplaces should run at half their staffing levels?

?

• Sad 1

Today (April 6th) marked one year since my local transit agency formally reduced transit service to hourly 7 days/week in all time periods. Previously only evenings and Sundays it would drop down to hourly. To further add insult to injury, the capacity was limited to 10 people seated with rear door boarding.

So if I needed to visit the grocery store and the bus I am waiting for is full and they don't dispatch an additional bus to assist, I would be waiting another hour for the next departure. Hoping to not run into the same issue, but I mean the buses that were cancelled and reallocated as RAD (run as directed) buses can be a challenge depending on where they are available and how long it takes to respond. Noting ridership went down around 80 to 90 percent during that time. 

The chance of a bus bypassing during that time was a hit and miss depending on the time of day. Daytime of course would be a lot busier versus night time if I can find a grocery store open late (closing at 8 PM that time). 

Fast forward today: The capacity is around 20 (16 or 17 seated depending on bus and 3 or 4 standees). Each transit agency dictates their own policy regarding capacity along with available resources. I have been on buses that have been close to that limit, but it can also be a challenge to advise someone to wait for the next bus/take a different one. 

Especially some routes where I am still operate hourly 7 days/week. Being a challenge for some and on top, how the crews are written for a specific time period. I mean they can add service if needed by spare operators, but the formal change won't be written until the next crew signup. 

Currently in the 3rd wave with no end plan in-sight. You would think they have figured out a recovery plan by now.

The stay-at-home order in Ontario has been issued effective tomorrow (April 8th) at 12:01 AM along with the state of emergency for the next 28 days. 

Non-essential businesses will have to be closed during this time along with retailers that are essential can only sell essential goods. Dealing with over 3,000 daily cases reported along with over 500 people in ICUs (intensive care units). Trying to flatten the curve again to ensure adequate resources available.

Final comments:

This is going to be interesting especially the section where retailers have to block off aisles for the non-essential items. I know Manitoba implemented a similar measure and they had to make provisions such as gift cards be allowed for sale because not everyone has a credit card in the beginning when non-essential aisles be blocked off.

Hopefully this is long enough to increase the amount of people getting vaccinated against COVID-19. Though I don't really have much confidence in Doug Ford's leadership to be honest. 

• Thanks 1

I was asleep.  I was actually having a very good, sound sleep and then the amber alert went off on both my own phone and my work-issue one.  I guess that’s that then since I wouldn’t be able to get back to sleep before I have to get up anyways.

I’m making breakfast now.

Then to find out from the mechanic’s shop if my truck is going to be ready in time to go to work or if I’m going to have to use a loaner for the day.   This has been one of the things the pandemic’s done. I was talking with one of the other guys at work and he’s had the same thing.  With the Go schedule cut back, we’ve been wearing our vehicles out hard and fast.

Just saw the sections blocked off at my local Loblaws (needed something essential). Here are the sections blocked off from what I saw:

• Clothes 
  • Kitchenware/Bathroom supplies such as towels along with pillows
  • Office supplies (can't even buy a stack of paper)

I prefer not to buy online for clothing because sometimes the online description isn't always accurate.  

They didn't block off the gift card section which if you can't get it in-store, need an option to buy online since not everyone has credit cards. Though not 100 percent sure if it will be blocked off since some stores didn't block off anything at all form what I heard.

To be honest, Ford is handling it a lot worse than before. You can't even buy a plate and forks, but you can purchase disposable ones which will be more expensive. If people were given some notice, I wouldn't complain. But only a few hours doesn't really help since the stores were all backed up today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Pharmacy across from me called to say they will be getting the Astra Zeneca vaccine in later today.  In the news there have been a few reports of people experiencing blood clots as a result of this brand of vaccine. 

I booked an appointment for Sunday, but I do have the option to cancel it.

I am torn as I really would like to be able to receive a vaccine close to home as opposed to having to travel by bus to some location, and then going for my second dose after the bus routes change.

I would like to know if anyone here has gotten the Astra Zeneca vaccine. Any side effects ?