COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

RailBus63

3 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Please explain, I just see a picture of an empty cooler

Look up some pictures of North Korean grocery stores and remember what I said about being held hostage here unable to leave the country and more and more every day we get nudged away from our previous way of life...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Look up some pictures of North Korean grocery stores and remember what I said about being held hostage here unable to leave the country and more and more every day we get nudged away from our previous way of life...

Thank you, that is the usual North Korean situation, personally haven't seen this here since last March, but I will agree, we are getting more like those utopian workers wunderlands daily...

47 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

This is literally the dumbest post in this thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Is it?  Or is the use of hyperbole to make a point going over your head?

What point?  

Please do enlighten us how people sporadically hoarding is even remotely close to being "held hostage"  by Trudeau.

Our shelves are full, ya need a care package?

• Like 2

First day of reopening at the local mall and it is nice not having to check-in with security along with the stores resuming more limited hours. Especially some people really can't endure lockdown or having to close for a certain period of time. 

With a possible third wave coming. Drawing on Spanish Flu, there were four waves and it lasted 2 years and 2 months (February 1918 to April 1920). Next month marks one year since the pandemic was declared on COVID-19 and how the lockdowns started happening with capacity restrictions and figuring out how to better accommodate. 

This will be an interesting few months with the variant cases. Especially when they are working to increase supply of vaccines to develop immunity against COVID-19. I will only believe it once it really happens rather than promises of x supply by y date. 

13 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/02/doug-ford-paid-sick-days-waste-taxpayer-money/

But I guess the costs of rebuilding the shattered remains of our society post COVID aren't?

Especially when there is a proposal to reduce the salary of Ontario politicians to $500/week. Though this one will be an uphill battle noting this is the breakdown a member of parliament makes depending on position:

Members of Parliament (MPPs) makes around $116,500 annually

Associate ministers make $138,868 annually

Ministers of a crown (for example transportation, labour and finance portfolios) $165,430

Ontario premier makes $201,000

https://globalnews.ca/news/7646885/ontario-legislators-clash-bill-reduce-salaries/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1TC8g4b9IHf_PGtbN69y2UgoL34WpAVUNuFKmFPEk0DN06C_6zYNyayEw

It isn't going to get better when people are going to struggle with the plan trying to limit expenditures while trying to finance and approve capital projects and other relief measures. Now if the politicians were put in the same situation, I think they would be taking a very different approach. 

Well interesting twist... After getting violently ill last Monday evening, I was sent home from work and told to call Telehealth, an over the phone registered nurse for Ontario I can get in touch with. After calling, they told me to get a test which I did yesterday because of the snowstorm on Tuesday which dropped 25cm or so. Well much to my surprise as it was for my family, I apparently tested positive so I'm back to grounding... I've already been out of work for almost 2 weeks already over similar issues mentioned above by me in this thread, but i must say wow, I thought I just had a worst cold than I recall, but clearly my assumption was wrong.help.gif.1cf345e62e63f4af40116c05d40195ec.gif

• Sad 6

Had to do some banking today. I was close to an hour early for my first appointment, but because of you know, covid, there was NOWHERE to sit and wait. I went next door to a pizza place, ordered a couple dough knots (like a little bite sized piece of dough with mozza cheese, garlic pesto drizzle and a pizza sauce dip). I also ordered a coffee, but they do not have coffee (!!!).

Anyhow, I did just have coffee about an hour ago, so no big deal. As it was getting closer to my appointment time, decided I would use the biffy before heading out.  Guess what ?!!?  Because of covid, the washrooms were off limits. (And yet last time I was there with a swim pal, the washrooms were available for use).

After my bank appointment I graciously asked if there was a washroom that I could use and of course there wasn't, but the lady was kind enough to let me into the staff room.

At the second bank I had to go to, I was only a 10 minutes early, but there was a seated waiting area. Every second seat was marked with an X, but there was seating.

I've really had it with places that don't allow one to sit down because of covid, yet one can sit or stand inches from another person in the bus and it is somehow alright.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Well interesting twist... After getting violently ill last Monday evening, I was sent home from work and told to call Telehealth, an over the phone registered nurse for Ontario I can get in touch with. After calling, they told me to get a test which I did yesterday because of the snowstorm on Tuesday which dropped 25cm or so. Well much to my surprise as it was for my family, I apparently tested positive so I'm back to grounding... I've already been out of work for almost 2 weeks already over similar issues mentioned above by me in this thread, but i must say wow, I thought I just had a worst cold than I recall, but clearly my assumption was wrong.? 

We're in this together bro. You know what I've gone through so you got this!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I've really had it with places that don't allow one to sit down because of covid, yet one can sit or stand inches from another person in the bus and it is somehow alright.

Our buses are limited to 10 passengers on a regular bus or 15 on an artic currently, though 'operators may use discretion' on if or when to switch to 'Bus Full'.

For public seating I haven't run into any that's been completely removed around here, aside from at fast food places operating drive-thru/take out only. At the Mall of America TC this is what they did to socially distance the benches, not even trying with stickers or signs ?:

50193903656_743377638a_t.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Our buses are limited to 10 passengers on a regular bus or 15 on an artic currently, though 'operators may use discretion' on if or when to switch to 'Bus Full'.

Where I am, the capacity limit is 20 (16 seated on a Nova or 17 on a New Flyer Xcelisor/LF bus and few standees). This is along with every other seat blocked off even though it isn't always followed just like with mandatory mask usage which is required on-board vehicles.

Now during the beginning in mid-March last year, it was limited to 10 passengers (fully seated) before the transit agency changed it to add two standees. Because if that capacity was reached, they would need to advise control to send another bus to assist. Front section blocked off during that time which means it was free due to not having an ability to pay. 

It is a challenge trying to accommodate everyone while trying to manage capacity. 

Speaking of capacity limits, am I the only one who thinks big box stores, by virtue of their build and the types of services that they offer, should have capacity limits calculated differently than some indie bookstore or coffee shop?

Our store has a normal capacity of just under 1000 people (!!!), so the capacity under the reopening restrictions is just under 250 people. That may seem sound if our store was a sports arena that packs every vacant spot regularly, but in practice things are just as bad as they were when they shut us down in December in the first place. It would be one thing if people were all spread out, but in reality what happens is we at the returns/customer service desk are holding up food in front of starved wild animals that descend upon us all at once. Besides being really annoying, if you're trying to tell me that the massive crowds that form around our area are somehow epidemiologically safe, you're a liar. When we reopened back in May last year we had a capacity limit of 50 people, which made much more sense, and it was much easier to do our jobs.

A million people wanting to do returns, a million people here to pick up their online orders, a million people calling the store... two people sure as hell couldn't hold the fort down! We are not equal to a small business, and we never will be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Speaking of capacity limits, am I the only one who thinks big box stores, by virtue of their build and the types of services that they offer, should have capacity limits calculated differently than some indie bookstore or coffee shop?

Our store has a normal capacity of just under 1000 people (!!!), so the capacity under the reopening restrictions is just under 250 people. That may seem sound if our store was a sports arena that packs every vacant spot regularly, but in practice things are just as bad as they were when they shut us down in December in the first place. It would be one thing if people were all spread out, but in reality what happens is we at the returns/customer service desk are holding up food in front of starved wild animals that descend upon us all at once. Besides being really annoying, if you're trying to tell me that the massive crowds that form around our area are somehow epidemiologically safe, you're a liar. When we reopened back in May last year we had a capacity limit of 50 people, which made much more sense, and it was much easier to do our jobs.

A million people wanting to do returns, a million people here to pick up their online orders, a million people calling the store... two people sure as hell couldn't hold the fort down! We are not equal to a small business, and we never will be.

I was thinking about that a couple months ago when I saw one of the local Canadian Tire stores had a sign by the door saying that the customer capacity was 698 people.  At that point, it's so insane, might as well decide to squish two more in to make it 700.  I wouldn't be comfortable going into that place with 697 other customers already inside plus staff under normal circumstances.  I don't even think they get close to that during pre-COVID-19 Boxing Day sales.  The 174.5 customers that 25% of full rated occupancy works out to would be an entirely reasonable volume for normal times.  By the way, I did run the numbers on the calculator app that's an ALT-TAB away and 174.5 customers is what it came out to.  Now, I could crack a joke about possible ways of getting to that half customer in a store that has power tools on displays but it'll go over like a lead brick.  I'll leave it to others to debate whether it should be rounded up or down since I honestly don't give a crap.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Pre pandemic, even though the capacity is 1000,  I doubt it  hit  any where near that?  That’s a lot... I know that’s fire marshal limit thing

• Like 2

Less than two weeks in the red level zone, my area is going back to lockdown (grey) effective Monday. Especially when people from grey zone areas would travel to a different area. Yet I am still waiting for an appointment slot to be available for a haircut appointment which is most likely going to be deferred by another few weeks. Because they can only have so many people at once plus the amount of time to prepare between clients.

The one year anniversary when things started getting locked down is coming up next month. Especially reading an article about how vaccines have been very effective in reducing COVID-19 cases. Right now, the problem is getting enough supply to handle the demand. Considering this open and close cycle is causing a lot of frustration. 

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/return-to-lockdown-ontario-pulls-emergency-brake-on-simcoe-muskoka-1.5326033?fbclid=IwAR2hrzGniIkpdQYMi_jQCBy-hGRQKAVrQra1JBIFY1_raPuVwid_jnqVkbo

• Sad 2

An article regarding how the COVID-19 vaccine was developed noting the supply chain involved plus distribution. 

Not all the ingredients are listed of course because it is proprietary and the suppliers don't want competitors building a similar product. With how patent laws work that whoever gets their application in has the exclusivity for 10 years. Research and development isn't cheap even with a COVID-19 vaccine a guaranteed contract of a massive scale.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/from-science-to-syringe-covid-19-vaccines-are-miracles-of-science-and-supply-chains-1.5327003?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvbarrie%3Apost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0qr44c4F8DHlvX9TUEn6biWOztK_SB4EPlkyWZzwAwdq0TRuS8ObJOIi0

• Like 1

Pawn shops can be a good source of reasonably priced tools and equipment if you can check out what you're thinking of buying and make sure it's still in decent condition, and not some piece of clapped out junk that someone hocked to get a bit of cash back out of vs. throwing it in the garbage.

Passed by one that's in one of the grey stay at home zones a couple of days ago that I've bought stuff from before and saw something in the window that I needed plus the open sign was on.  Park the truck.  Walk over.  Get hit with the obligitory astounding COVID-19 stupidity.

Start talking to the guy I've dealt with in the past and it turns out the open sign was on because they're open if you're doing anything involving loans.  That's ok because that's a financial service and that's allowed and there's no problem.  But if you want to buy something on the shelves, they can't do that because COVID-19 will kill everybody.

We had a good laugh about the Walmart exemption where they'll happily sell you a new iPad, a big screen TV, a camping stove and a kid's bicycle and whatever else in store no problem because they've got groceries at the other end of the building which makes all the other retail lines suddenly A-OK.

So we were talking about applying the same principle to that little shop, if it's ok to be open for "financial services" because they do loans, wouldn't that legitimize the other lines of business a la Walmart?  Their thoughts initially were yes, in principal, except they didn't want to do that because they know that Ontario's been reluctant to gang up on Walmart and Costco etc. with Doug Ford being on TV a while ago saying it's preposterous to start deciding what they can and can't sell and so on, but small businesses that are deemed to have stepped out of line have been steamrollered so they're erring on side of caution.  Fair enough.

So what happened?  Well, with the way we're so far down the road of different rules for different people, groups, entities, and specific boutique exemptions to everything, we decided cash and item could change hands.  Then we spent the rest of the evening shooting the breeze in the parking lot as the sun went down and the streetlights came on as the darkness at the end of day set in until it was closing time.  I've never seen the plaza's parking lot so empty.  My truck and the two cars that belonged to the guys working at the pawn shop.  According to them, it's been like that for almost a year now with the other businesses either mandated to be completely closed and/or gone out of business and this plaza that's got a small parking lot where it always used to be hard getting a space in the past has been a ghost town since March last year.

• Like 1