COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

RailBus63

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I have a question though. If this 5 person limit gets upped to 10, can we technically have our friends and family over inside our homes? Can I go for a bike ride with my friend? 

I feel like the answer is obvious, but I want get another opinion because my way of thinking will likely be biased towards more interaction. 

Assuming you're talking about Ontraio, as Quebec will increase the limit this weekend. My honest opinion; You've always been able to do that, and nothing short of tracking by the government can prevent that or any activies/outings with friends. Excerise and adhear to the directives, 2m distance, limit of 5 or 10, because there will be power hungry by-law who won't hessitate to issue and your friend(s) $800-$6,000 tickets if caught. Just ask the 17 year old who was handed a $880 ticket for playing basketball by himself in Ottawa a few weeks back.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:18 AM, PCC Guy said:

Did I trip and fall through a membrane into another reality on New Year's? How is this a real tweet I am seeing?

Everything is so surreal right now.

As usual, it's the lack of thinking about how do we manage this that's bothering me the most.  A lot of the smaller businesses that have reopened are limiting the number of people inside to five people or so.  Fine, so far, so good.  However, it's springtime and that means the sun has gotten strong but it's still fairly low in the sky which means intense glare and that more often than not means you can't see through glass windows or doors inside to determine how many people are already in there and that in turn means you have to open the door and either stick your head in or step inside to see the whole premises and do a count - except sometimes you get shop clerks screaming at you to get outside  because there are too many people in there already.  Apparently COVID-19 also does a number of politeness.  This has happened to me at three or four stores now.  If it's rude, I just leave and I don't go back.  Honestly, don't go moaning at the government for free money but blast your would-be customers for attempting to give you business.  Some lady at one of the independent grocery stores was shrieking at people a few weeks ago because the rules for shopping there had changed yet again between people's current and previous visits.  I haven't seen that person since so I wonder if she got fired.

Then you get things like Canadian Tire.  It's open from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.  All of them.  Every.  Single.  One.  Nobody thought to do a staggered arrangement where some stores are 8:00 AM - 6:00 - PM, others 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM, etc. inside each geographic area where there are multiple stores so customers who are still working can go to whichever one fits around their work hours best?

More recently, at the place I work, some sit at home management genius decided to have all of the tables and chairs that were spread - emphasis on the word spread - around the atrium removed but left the tables and chairs crammed into each kitchenette alone.  In what way is this possibly a good idea?  Did nobody stop to think that packing the remaining people who have been mandated to work on site in even closer together at lunchtime than before is not a good idea?  Or do they think we don't need to eat, shouldn't be taking lunch breaks, and that there's absolutely no problem at all whatsoever with the line of thinking that reducing the total amount of spread out seating throughout the building is a good thing?

As for the non-medical face masks.  Has anybody stopped to think about why the non-medical face masks are non-medical?  And what that implies for efficacy?  This one actually causes me concern because if people are wearing ineffective masks and being lulled into a false sense of security that breeds complacency and carlessness, the marginal benefit they do provide may end up being more than negated which would leave everyone worse off vs. a definitive no mask = stay away, period.

• Like 1

Pertaining to the efficacy of face masks, I tend to take as truth what "the scientists" (e.g. U.S. CDC) are advising.  The use of a non-medical face mask isn't to protect the wearer.  It seems many are not interpreting the efficacy in terms of who it's protecting.

The wearing of a non-medical face mask is to protect those around you from YOU.  Since we know that Covid19 can be asymptomatic, many might have it and not know it.  Therefore, wearing a non-medical face mask is protecting those around you from your spittle just in case you are carrying the virus.  

The U.S. CDC's exact wording is "...the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others."

Even if we do not sneeze or cough, when a human talks there's a certain amount of saliva being sprayed into the air.  Very minute amounts, yes.  But if one of those minute specks of spittle land on your face or hand, and you touch your face with your hand that contains the very tiny amounts of spittle, you could become infected should that person who produced the spittle is positive for Covid19.  

Remember, that person might not know if they have the virus since many cases are asymptomatic.

And even if you've had a test in the morning and you tested negative, it doesn't mean that you're negative forever. You could very well test positive in the afternoon.   So why not wear a mask just in case?  ...it's to protect others from YOU.  

It's selfish, IMO, not to wear a mask.  I hear so many saying "I don't have the virus so I'm not going to wear a mask" or "I'm young and have a good immune system so I'm not worried about getting Covid 19 so I'm not wearing a mask.

Not wearing a mask in public (or covering your mouth with something  ...cloth, paper, or whatever other non-medical face covering), is inconsiderate  ...period.  It shows you only care about yourself and not others.  

Sure, when I put on a mask, I don't believe it's doing too much to protect me from getting the virus but I would be devastated if I were to learn that I somehow transmitted it to someone else and they were to get severely sick or die from it.  So I want to do everything I can to not have that happen ...staying at home as much as possible, wearing mask in public, and keeping distance when around others. 

I'll protect YOU by wearing a mask and I hope you'll do the same for me.

(In the U.S., it's a politically divided issue.  Democrats understand "the scientific" reasoning behind wearing face-coverings.  Republicans do not think they really have to wear a mask.  I've been a life-long Republican voter but will never vote for another as I do believe in "science" and do not believe it should be a political issue.  Therefore, I will never associate myself with Republicans again --but I do not have much longer to go as I'm an old fart as many of you know.  Moderators, feel free to delete this post as I really don't want this to become a political discussion.  Thank you.)

• Like 7

On 5/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, roamer said:

Democrats understand "the scientific" reasoning behind wearing face-coverings.  Republicans do not think they really have to wear a mask.

It's certainly more nuanced. Since it seems you live in the US, you know that in comparison to let's say Canada, they're more of an indivdualist society as opposed to collective like Canada (generally speaking). I don't think republicans are denying the effectiveness or the science of mask, more so IMO their position is that you shouldn't be forced agianst your will to wear a mask, under the pretense that you're are an american and can choose as to what you want to wear and that politicans shouldn't be #ConstitutionalDistancing from peoples rights and freedoms. That's my perception.

Oh yeah, update: I'm returning to Work June 2nd and will be taking my good old Route 85 once again. Hopefully this can fix my urgency to go do things in public because I'm always trapped at home with no one to talk to.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

It's certainly more nuanced. Since it seems you live in the US, you know that in comparison to let's say Canada, they're more of an indivdualist society as opposed to collective like Canada (generally speaking). I don't think republicans are denying the effectiveness or the science of mask, more so IMO their position is that you shouldn't be forced agianst your will to wear a mask, under the pretense that you're are an american and can choose as to what you want to wear and that politicans shouldn't be #ConstitutionalDistancing from peoples rights and freedoms. That's my perception..

True, I agree with your specifying it being more nuanced and your perception is spot on.   Republicans generally see it as you described.  Most Democrats do not.  Again, I used to be a Republican voter and spent thousand of dollars through the decades supporting Republican campaigns but never again will give a dime to any GOP candidate because of the lack in believing in what is essentially "science" and their very shallow and short-sighted thinking.

But anybody reading what you wrote should see the absurdity in the logic of those claiming that their rights are being violated.  Again, masks are not protecting YOU as much as it's protecting those around you.  To me, it is selfish to say "my Constitutional rights are being violated because I have a right not to wear a mask as the government can't tell me what to do."  Yes, if it is only protecting you, then it might be a valid argument.  

I don't think a person has the right to spread the virus around to other people because once again, "science" is showing that the virus can be and in many cases is asymptomatic.  A person can be spreading it and infecting others hours before they show symptoms or may end up never showing symptoms and be infecting others.  Wearing a mask can help not to spread the virus under those conditions.

If it's strictly based on "the government can't tell me what to do as I have the freedom to do what I want" then it truly is ABSURD!

Why should I obey a law or any social mores?  That's taking away my freedom.  The government tells me I can't poop in the street in public but it's something I want to do.  That's taking away my freedom!  I should have the right to poop in the street if I want.  But there are rules governing pooping in the street to protect society from getting infected with those random people who may want to spread human feces in the streets.  But what if I'm one who wants very badly to do it? Are my rights being violated?  Shouldn't I have the freedom to do as I wish??  

My apologies for using such an inappropriate analogy but I guess I find both "the government shouldn't require me to wear a mask, I have the right to spread a deadly virus to others" and "the government can't tell me that I can't poop in the street as that's taking away my freedom" equally ABSURD.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ThomasW97 said:

What does everyone feel about Mr Trump golfing as his nation's mortality rate rises 

Good, let him golf as much as possible IMO. It'll help keep him distracted and possibly keep him from doing or saying something even more foolish.

(While I'd like to, I'll refrain from posting my own political party and broken system opinion as this isn't a political thread. I will note however that not all Americans are hardcore Republican or Democrat. I consider myself somewhere in the middle and I suspect I'm not alone.)

---

Anyways as for the topic, I don't think I've gone this long without riding on transit since about 2006. 10 weeks now... ...I miss it :(

• Like 5

I certainly agree with J. Mc.  The more he plays golf at this point, the better.  Again, I'm a believer in science and not conspiracy theories combined with a lot of nonsense (e.g. injecting disinfectant and powerful light into the body as a cure, etc.).  Therefore, trump should stay on the golf course as much as possible and leave the decisions pertaining to getting the virus under control to scientist and medical professionals.

Again, I apologize for letting my political stance clearly known.  J. Mc 's post is extremely poignant and spot on using succinct wording and appropriateness.   

I didn't realize there was actually a "politics" sub-forum here.  I know this is a Canadian forum so won't go ranting about U.S. politics there but, again, please excuse my inappropriate and off-topic remarks  ...it's just that I'm so stressed-out with not only how badly this virus is being treated by our U.S. administration but with a lot of things they have been and are currently doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roamer said:

I didn't realize there was actually a "politics" sub-forum here.  I know this is a Canadian forum so won't go ranting about U.S. politics there but, again, please excuse my inappropriate and off-topic remarks  ...it's just that I'm so stressed-out with not only how badly this virus is being treated by our U.S. administration but with a lot of things they have been and are currently doing. 

No worries, what happens south of the Border has a direct impact on what happens here, for better or worse. (Mostly worse, but I don’t need to convince anyone here of that)

”Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.”

-P.E. Trudeau.

• Like 4

Might just be a rumor, but I heard from a swim pal the the pools may open (in Edmonton) mid June, but one has to demonstrate a medical need to use the pool. Not sure how true this is, but gonna get a note from my doctor just in case. I just hope he will give me one.

On May 27, 2020 at 5:43 PM, captaintrolley said:

Might just be a rumor, but I heard from a swim pal the the pools may open (in Edmonton) mid June, but one has to demonstrate a medical need to use the pool. Not sure how true this is, but gonna get a note from my doctor just in case. I just hope he will give me one.

I hate to say it since I know what the pool means to you, but, the manpower needed might not justify the cost given the financial situation the City is in, especially for a limited number of people. Pools should generally be a phase 3 reopening. I believe the City has talked about keeping some facilities closed to save money. 

3 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I hate to say it since I know what the pool means to you, but, the manpower needed might not justify the cost given the financial situation the City is in, especially for a limited number of people. Pools should generally be a phase 3 reopening. I believe the City has talked about keeping some facilities closed to save money. 

Not only what the pool means, but the sheer number of people that require swimming for their physical and mental well-being.  It's no longer funny. I am in agony, and I am not the only one. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Any opinions on this?

Not an opinion on the article, but many people including myself are experiencing deteriorating mental and physical health from not being able to access swimming pools and health spas. I can barely move, muscle tone has deteriorated, my cardio and pulmonary health has declined, as well as my mental health.  Also, not being able to sleep has gotten worse because I am not getting the physical exhaustion that comes with a hard workout at the pool. Still, I would rather be in rough shape than contract covid-19.

2 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Wouldn't surprise me, considering there's still a bunch of hospitals that haven't yet resumed elective surgeries.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-hospitals-elective-surgeries-1.5581177 

You'd think that all other disease was put on hold, the way we're going about it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I’m not surprised.  I could see the problems coming, especially once this started to drag on.

The reopening is lopsided too.   So you can get a massage.  You can rent a cottage.  Which I assume implicitly approves travel to and from cottage country which was a big no-no, what two weeks ago for the long weekend, since rentals would be pointless if you aren’t allowed to go there and back.  AirBNB type short term rentals have been allowed to start up again which has further implications for travel.  But you can’t get a hair cut.  You have to be kidding me.

When you look at the political scene in Ontario, it’s interesting.  Federally, you have a prime minister who got smacked down pretty hard in the last election and got reduced from having a majority government to a minority.  Doug Ford managed to get his approval ratings to crater to Kathleen Wynne Liberal levels in months compared to 14 years for the Liberals polling to reach the same depths.  And then COVID-19 comes along and these politicians and political parties go from being on the ropes pretty bad to experiencing a nice bump from handling the crisis.  Would it be cynical of me to suggest that maybe, for purely political reasons, they might like to drag this out for...as...long...as...possible...since they’re about the only people who are actually benefitting from it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I get out my electric clippers tomorrow and give myself an army style buzz cut while blasting David Crosby’s “Almost Cut My Hair” at full volume while I shriek in anguish and capture it on video live to YouTube, can Trudeau send me a big fat cheque on the basis that it’s self isolation performance art?

Seriously, this needs to be wound down.  If there isn’t a huge explosion of cases stemming from the mass gatherings at protest, it needs to be wound down pretty damn quick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Seriously, this needs to be wound down.  If there isn’t a huge explosion of cases stemming from the mass gatherings at protest, it needs to be wound down pretty damn quick.

Well, if this tweet linked here is true, then we are on the right track:

Surprise surprise!

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

What PCC said, but also let’s see what comes out of these protests too. Many places around the world to look at in about a weeks time. I hope that CNBC article is accurate.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

What PCC said, but also let’s see what comes out of these protests too. Many places around the world to look at in about a weeks time. I hope that CNBC article is accurate.

Exactly.  For better or worse, all those large protests are going to be indicative of how well or not COVID-19 spreads out in the open like that when huge groups people get together in an uncontrolled manner.  Yeah, I think about a week from now is about right to start seeing results attributable to the earlier protests so if there's a minor bump or no bump or nothing attributable to those gatherings, the government needs to really take a very hard look at how they're handling this. Unless, as I cynically suggested earlier, for purely selfish political reasons, they'd like to keep things more or less as they are.

• Like 1