Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
--Mulliganaceous--

What happened to the Eglinton station signal?

Recommended Posts

A few weeks ago, progress have been made to perform ATC signal upgrades, such that Line 1 trains on North York will only serve stations between Finch and Eglinton. I noticed that the rarely-used signal north of Eglinton on the southbound track [which always displays either a double-red or double-yellow, so southbound trains will reverse into the center tail track] has been replaced with an ATC-style signal.

More surprisingly, I noticed that the northbound home signal, N338 X54 now had its lower lights all covered up; meaning that the signal no longer have a lower head representing which direction this train will go to. However, the lunar aspect is still present, and is only activated if the train is destined to proceed into the center track as only the center track is grade-timed. It is the same signal which is involved for putting a few trains out of service and into the Eglinton pocket track, where I have discussed in "The Eglinton Center Track in Line 1 Yonge" and recorded actual footage sometime in late August. In total, I observed about eight instances of the center track being used in the past year and a half, which is more than any other instances of center track usage. I once did ride through a center track on Line 2 though.

I am not sure why this happened, but maybe it is part of the ATC upgrades or the Eglinton Station renovation which I heard will involve shifting the platforms north and making the center track all but inaccessible.

I am wondering exactly why the lower lights of the N338 X54 signal got removed?

Auto_Home_Signal[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

I am not sure why this happened, but maybe it is part of the ATC upgrades or the Eglinton Station renovation which I heard will involve shifting the platforms north and making the center track all but inaccessible.

I am wondering exactly why the lower lights of the N338 X54 signal got removed?

Yes. Pocket track not in service, they removed routing light from the X54. Took me two days to notice. Has to do with Eglinton Crosstown lrt and aligning the platforms...not sure about this, but from what I understand they are shifting the line 1 platforms a little north to line up with the lrt better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Turtle said:

not sure about this, but from what I understand they are shifting the line 1 platforms a little north to line up with the lrt better.

The original plan was to shift the platform north about 55 metres - basically centering the Yonge Line platform on the Crosstown platform.

 

They've since done a bit of a rethink on the distance, and are only moving it about 20 metres to the north, IIRC.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Furthermore, will the pocket track be removed in the near future, or will the tracks leading to the pocket track be redesigned so it will be back in service? The last time I saw that was around November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

Furthermore, will the pocket track be removed in the near future, or will the tracks leading to the pocket track be redesigned so it will be back in service? The last time I saw that was around November.

It'll be removed entirely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 12:17 AM, TechnicaProductions said:

It'll be removed entirely

That was the original plan, but last I heard is that it'll return to service once Crosstown and ATC upgrades in the area are done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...