Double Decker Bus Order

sseguin

Are those new DD just running weekdays only rush?

All double deckers are restricted to weekdays service only express routes, certain peak routes, and Routes 91/93.

The only times they are out on other routes are:

- If a driver extends as a Reporter (i.e. do extra trips to help Transit Control cover service)

- If Industrial Garage is short on articulated buses

- Canada Day (based on the least the last three occasions)

• 4 weeks later...

Wajax:

8127 is the new arrival for this week.

8124 (which was first seen pre-delivered in late-January), 8125 (now plated), and 8126 are also there.

8101 to 8123 are the present units that are in-service.

So only 11 or so units left to be delivered?

10 more units for the delivery of 37 units, plus an additional 6 units that OC Transpo added to the order.

With regards to the additional 6 units: I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the board for not mentioning that additional buses were added to the order. On June 17, 2015, OC Transpo made a budget request to the Transit Commision to add an additional six units in a report called "Capital Adjustments and Closing of Projects - Transit City Tax and Rate Supported" (link: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=6497&doctype=agenda&itemid=330199). In Documents 2 and 3 they've made a request to purchase an additional 6 double deckers to retire 6 existing buses that were beyond repair (I don't have the bus numbers, but I'm told the buses being retired were involved in fires).

For clarity, OC will be getting 43 double deckers (8101 to 8143) - 37 expansion units (buses that OC needed in the first place to run service as the Transitway close down for LRT conversion) + 6 replacement units. OC Transpo will only state publically that they are purchasing 37 DDs.

Came across this picture on Instagram back at the beginning of January but I forgot to share it (the uploader of the photo has since made their profile private):

IMG_0445.PNG11280479_679006498910803_1005536454_n.jpg

It shows 4249 being scrapped presumably this past summer. Looks like this bus caught fire back in 2013 (here are a few photos). Wiki editors: note that 4249's retirement isn't listed in the Wiki.

On a somewhat related note, I posted back in the summer that I observed 4201 being sent to scrap. There are a few pages on the Wiki that still could be updated to show this information :)

10 more units for the delivery of 37 units, plus an additional 6 units that OC Transpo added to the order.

With regards to the additional 6 units: I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the board for not mentioning that additional buses were added to the order. On June 17, 2015, OC Transpo made a budget request to the Transit Commision to add an additional six units in a report called "Capital Adjustments and Closing of Projects - Transit City Tax and Rate Supported" (link: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=6497&doctype=agenda&itemid=330199). In Documents 2 and 3 they've made a request to purchase an additional 6 double deckers to retire 6 existing buses that were beyond repair (I don't have the bus numbers, but I'm told the buses being retired were involved in fires).

For clarity, OC will be getting 43 double deckers (8101 to 8143) - 37 expansion units (buses that OC needed in the first place to run service as the Transitway close down for LRT conversion) + 6 replacement units. OC Transpo will only state publically that they are purchasing 37 DDs.

Never expected 6 additional double deckers to be purchased which I would assume they would still get the same volume discount that was previously offered with the 75 double deckers and the 37 expansion units. It is very rare for Alexander Dennis to have a customer from North America to purchase their double deckers, especially with the amount of volume OC Transpo is taking in alone.

Though, insurance would cover the damaged buses that were beyond repair which means they would have to budget the remaining costs, but I don't think it is much more which I think the city can accommodate the extra cost to replace.

Never expected 6 additional double deckers to be purchased which I would assume they would still get the same volume discount that was previously offered with the 75 double deckers and the 37 expansion units. It is very rare for Alexander Dennis to have a customer from North America to purchase their double deckers, especially with the amount of volume OC Transpo is taking in alone.

Though, insurance would cover the damaged buses that were beyond repair which means they would have to budget the remaining costs, but I don't think it is much more which I think the city can accommodate the extra cost to replace.

It's not the first time they've prematurely retired a bus due to a fire and replace it with a brand new bus. An example would be bus 6118 that caught fire years ago, and was replaced by one of the four D60LFs purchased in late-2009/2010 (6399 to 6403).

It's not the first time they've prematurely retired a bus due to a fire and replace it with a brand new bus. An example would be bus 6118 that caught fire years ago, and was replaced by one of the four D60LFs purchased in late-2009/2010 (6399 to 6403).

In M5 when I looked at 6399-6403 when I was doing coop, 6399s purchase price (purchase price shows up for every unit), was $0.

Wajax:

8127 is the new arrival for this week.

8124 (which was first seen pre-delivered in late-January), 8125 (now plated), and 8126 are also there.

8101 to 8123 are the present units that are in-service.

I spotted 8127 at approx. noon on Good Friday on hwy 402 about 50km east of Sarnia heading eastbound for delivery to Ottawa.

Rode 8102 today, and we had a bit of door trouble at Lebreton station after someone hit the sensitive edge (whether accidentally or not). It's not the only new bus I've been on that has had trouble with doors, 8114 was the same way a few months back.

Has anyone else noticed issues with these newer buses? I know teething pains are to be expected, but a door problem seems fairly serious. I like them otherwise.

Rode 8102 today, and we had a bit of door trouble at Lebreton station after someone hit the sensitive edge (whether accidentally or not). It's not the only new bus I've been on that has had trouble with doors, 8114 was the same way a few months back.

Has anyone else noticed issues with these newer buses? I know teething pains are to be expected, but a door problem seems fairly serious. I like them otherwise.

Yes, there have been rear door problems that I have observed based on what you have described.

Furthermore, there have been some units where the rear doors would only open partly after the touch bar has been pushed - preventing people from actually being able to exit because they weren't fully open (I haven't seen this issue occur recently though).

1 hour ago, Enviro_1203 said:

Just spotted 8129 at Hunt Club and Lorry Greenberg on delivery to Wajax. Also note this bus is being delivered with the bike rack installed.

3 bike, bike rack or the old 2 bike bike rack ?