Double Decker Bus Order

sseguin

Didn't now that. In anycase it'll take about a week when ship from eeurope anyway and whether its Halifax ior Montreal they still need to driven here. As for what exactly happens after their unload in Canada and go into service on routes on OC that I have no clue as to what the details are on that.

They aren't shipped from Scotland as there are no suitable port facilities, I think they are driven to either Holyhead in Wales, or possibly even Southampton in Southern England and shipped from there.

Southampton Dock, where most ADL exports are shipped from, including Hong Kong's, Singapore's order

Yes, but shipping to Montreal would be a waste of time if there is a perfectly good highway going from Halifax to Ottawa, which is nearly divided all the way (except for about 90 kms in Quebec along the 185). It is alot quicker to ship a vehicle at 100 kph (110 through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia as that is the limit on divided highways out there) then it is to travel a longer distance since they have to go to the mouth of the St. Lawrence at around 25 kph (or however fast those container ships go).

It depends entirely on how they have arranged freight. It may be that OC wanted the vehicles driven for fewer miles, and asked that the shipping company send them to Montreal because of that. Montreal may have equipment better suited for offloading the vessel. The Halifax stevedores may be on strike (although I think they sorted that out about a year ago).

As long as the distance is, offloading in Halifax versus Montreal only saves a day in the total shipping time.

Dan

It depends entirely on how they have arranged freight. It may be that OC wanted the vehicles driven for fewer miles, and asked that the shipping company send them to Montreal because of that. Montreal may have equipment better suited for offloading the vessel. The Halifax stevedores may be on strike (although I think they sorted that out about a year ago).

As long as the distance is, offloading in Halifax versus Montreal only saves a day in the total shipping time.

Dan

Well we know their going to be shipped through Halifax as the Lady Dive Enviro 400's just came through there and so has all the other Alexander-Dennis products that has been ordered in recent years. The only reason Montreal came up was because Enviro_1203 asked why don't they ship through there. Other then that one post, there has be no official talk of them coming through Montreal. I was just trying to explain the logistics of why they would choose Halifax.

ANYWAY on other news not related to where they are going to be shipped through (and personally I couldn't care anyway as long as they get here), seeing as the Olympics have started, is Alexander Dennis done with the Olympics orders now? Does that mean we're next in line?

Also as posted in another thread, "1204" has made it to the cover of the 2012 system map.

Well we know their going to be shipped through Halifax as the Lady Dive Enviro 400's just came through there and so has all the other Alexander-Dennis products that has been ordered in recent years. The only reason Montreal came up was because Enviro_1203 asked why don't they ship through there. Other then that one post, there has be no official talk of them coming through Montreal. I was just trying to explain the logistics of why they would choose Halifax.

Halifax has a huge port to accommodate on all types of import items. Montreal doesn't have the proper docking facility to deliver the vehicle. Besides, the St. Laurence river is narrow!

ANYWAY on other news not related to where they are going to be shipped through (and personally I couldn't care anyway as long as they get here), seeing as the Olympics have started, is Alexander Dennis done with the Olympics orders now? Does that mean we're next in line?

Also as posted in another thread, "1204" has made it to the cover of the 2012 system map.

don't forget about Hong Kong's order which represent a significant share of their export sales, and also ADL just purchased Custom Coach of Australia which they will open up their new market there...........they will be busy enough in the next couple years with the joint venture with NFI to produce and market Enviro 200 in North America as well........the company is just expanding crazily!

Also I've done the drive personally, as long as you don't take any lengthly breaks, you can do the entire drive in 14 hours flat. (Which includes washroom breaks and stopping at gas stations and getting meals). It also gives Alexander Dennis a good test run to make sure that nothing will go wrong as until they are accepted at OC Transpo, anything that goes wrong is their responsibility.

If they start from Halifax, it's a sure two days trip since any bus driver can drive an maximum of 13 hours during a single day (it's the law)

Halifax has a huge port to accommodate on all types of import items. Montreal doesn't have the proper docking facility to deliver the vehicle. Besides, the St. Laurence river is narrow!

Halifax has a huge port, it's true, but the vast majority of it is dedicated to containers.

Montreal has a large port as well, and it's better suited to large and oversize single items than Halifax's - items such as locomotives and buses.

Dan

Halifax has a huge port, it's true, but the vast majority of it is dedicated to containers.

Montreal has a large port as well, and it's better suited to large and oversize single items than Halifax's - items such as locomotives and buses.

Dan

Halifax has roll on roll off port. I dont think Montreal has it!

http://www.portofhalifax.ca/english/cargo/index.html#ro-ro-cargo

http://www.port-montreal.com/PMStats/html/frontend/statistics.jsp?lang=en&context=about

I'm not aware of any trans-Oceanic ro-ro vessels that can handle a vehicle as big as a bus.

Dan

Should be as anything with wheels can be driven or rolled on the vessel.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=what+do+ro+ro+vessel&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lDYZUJr2DcHviQLK9IDoAw&ved=0CH4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=663

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll-on/roll-off

Should be as anything with wheels can be driven or rolled on the vessel.

http://www.google.ca...iw=1024&bih=663

http://en.wikipedia....oll-on/roll-off

Most ro-ro vessels that perform trans-oceanic crossings are designed for new cars, and so the ceiling heights are too low to carry anything beyond anything bigger than an SUV. And while most car-carrying ferries can also carry trucks and buses, none of those are used for trans-Atlantic crossings. And so, as I wrote before, to the best of my knowledge there are no trans-oceanic ro-ro vehicles capable of carrying a bus.

Dan

Most ro-ro vessels that perform trans-oceanic crossings are designed for new cars, and so the ceiling heights are too low to carry anything beyond anything bigger than an SUV. And while most car-carrying ferries can also carry trucks and buses, none of those are used for trans-Atlantic crossings. And so, as I wrote before, to the best of my knowledge there are no trans-oceanic ro-ro vehicles capable of carrying a bus.

Dan

Most is true but there are some RO-RO ships that carry Containers on the top outdoor deck stacked up and inside carry trucks, bus, trailers , equipment and machinery that can be either driven on or rolled on and off the ship.

When the DD Buses arrive on the cargo ship from Europe are they in Cargo Contaimners ? or are they open like cars being shiped from europe where they can just drive off the ship?

Do you honestly think that you can fit a double decker bus in a cargo container?

There are flatbed shipping containers you know lol

There is no way you are fitting a 4 metre high bus on a 2.59 metre tall container. Not to mention the obvious issue of length.

Most likely they would be drove off a ship like This one

Well, except that they aren't driven onto or off of ships like that. They are loaded by crane into the cargo hold.

But yes, that is one type of ship that they would use.

Dan

There is no way you are fitting a 4 metre high bus on a 2.59 metre tall container. Not to mention the obvious issue of length.

Dan

You do know that was a joke though!

Well, except that they aren't driven onto or off of ships like that. They are loaded by crane into the cargo hold.

But yes, that is one type of ship that they would use.

Dan

That ship is listed as a RO/RO-Container Ship combo so much offer RO/RO service some how without use of a crane.

You do know that was a joke though!

That ship is listed as a RO/RO-Container Ship combo so much offer RO/RO service some how without use of a crane.

with less than a month before they arrive, I can't wait to see these beauty on the road........just can't wait!