Streety McCarface

Favourite Subway/Metro Station[s]?

A post on Facebook inspired me to start this thread. I want to know what your favourite Canadian (and I guess international but emphasis on Canada) subway/metro stations and why. You can pick numerous stations if you wish. 

My choices all go to the TTC:

1. Sheppard West — The architecture of the station has stood the test of time, and despite the phallic shaped bus terminal, the interior tiling is my favorite on the system. 

36d2-201524-penis-ttc-map.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_1365-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.thumb.jpg.c764d0a911241b1500500e18173965f0.jpg612664395a40232133447d33247d383637373831303830.thumb.jpeg.0769894ada905e7c465dbf74c1672772.jpeg01665189.thumb.jpg.11990f80edbca46562cf9405da0efdca.jpg

2. Pioneer Village — The concrete work at this station is stunning, plus the rustic red, red, and blue really match up nicely. It gives a strong autumn impression, which is my favorite season.

w-PioneerVillage3.thumb.jpg.0f1200200d4656631cc5d1cb61099216.jpgPioneers-VIllage-Station-Toronto-4.thumb.jpg.d20313dc22002120c951f6df684fc364.jpgsubwaydesign21nw2.thumb.JPG.16c0fc2888dbf1705c87668f0a4bbb62.JPG

3. The Bessarion — Not just because it's a meme, I genuinely appreciate the cleanliness of the station, and the peace it brings. The artwork is also cool, subtle, but cool nonetheless. 

5475006018_fa502221e8_b.thumb.jpg.5f4d1baa516979124a007b0632e2e19e.jpg

4. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre — The presence of a bus terminal and a VIVA station with direct subway access give the station credibility, plus the mirrors are very welcoming

1681-031.thumb.jpg.a78114ffc06ec5b73735d358c6417541.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In Toronto: Dupont. Love the aesthetic.

In Montreal: Namur. Love the public art.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Vancouver Canada Line Broadway City Hall Station. Amazing little fresh produce market right next to it, great for grabbing some fruits and veggies on the way home (when I lived in Van).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dupont and St. Clair West for Toronto. As mentioned above, love the art at Dupont, and the south end of St. Clair West with the heightened ceiling and the view of trains from overhead is really cool.

0b9d658c178f9cf0d0f9da65f363ecee.jpg
30562052007_9b386e6d1a_b.jpg

Outside of North America, I am rather fond of:

Fehrbelliner Platz (Berlin)
1280px-Fehrbelliner_Platz_(U7).jpgUBahnhf_Fehrbellinerpl_U3.JPG

Zitadelle (Berlin)
U-Bahnhof_Zitadelle.jpg
Ubahn-zitadelle.jpg

Berlin Heidelberger Platz (Berlin)
UBahnhf-Heidelbergerplatz.JPG

Hermannplatz (Berlin)
UBahnhof_Hermannplatz.JPG

Rathaus Spandau (Berlin)
U-Bahnhof_Rathaus_Spandau.jpg

Kobylisy (Prague)
metro_c_kobylisy.jpg

In case it was not clear, I would really like to visit Berlin :P

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Dupont and St. Clair West for Toronto. As mentioned above, love the art at Dupont, and the south end of St. Clair West with the heightened ceiling and the view of trains from overhead is really cool.

0b9d658c178f9cf0d0f9da65f363ecee.jpg
30562052007_9b386e6d1a_b.jpg

Outside of North America, I am rather fond of:

Fehrbelliner Platz (Berlin)
1280px-Fehrbelliner_Platz_(U7).jpgUBahnhf_Fehrbellinerpl_U3.JPG

Zitadelle (Berlin)
U-Bahnhof_Zitadelle.jpg
Ubahn-zitadelle.jpg

Berlin Heidelberger Platz (Berlin)
UBahnhf-Heidelbergerplatz.JPG

Hermannplatz (Berlin)
UBahnhof_Hermannplatz.JPG

Rathaus Spandau (Berlin)
U-Bahnhof_Rathaus_Spandau.jpg

Kobylisy (Prague)
metro_c_kobylisy.jpg

In case it was not clear, I would really like to visit Berlin :P

While I've always loved the design of Berlin's (and Moscow's for that matter) metro stations, I never really found an appreciation for Prague's. To me, the Skoda trains are the highlight there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

In case it was not clear, I would really like to visit Berlin

It's obvious that the riding public appreciate and respect the stations (and probably transit infrastructure as a whole) and that the city also has pride in maintaining these. 

• Like 2

Edmonton: Central Station- It was always my usual entrance to the LRT system. The design is quite dated and being right out of my childhood, I approve of that.
Toronto: Eglinton. Love the original tiles. Runner up: Eglinton West- Reminds me of Central Station with exposed concrete and brick. I remember the first time entering that station thinking about it looked so much like Central and Churchill in Edmonton. Of course, the Edmonton and Toronto stations were all built around the same time.
Vancouver: Granville and Burrard Station- Built inside a former railway tunnel. I generally find underground station more interesting than surface stations so I've always liked these two. Simple designs. 

In general I like simple, functional station designs.

• Like 5

Calgary - Westbrook Station and Sunalta Stations. Westbrook for being Calgary's only underground station and Sunalta for being elevated five stories above ground. They are simple in design yet are the most unique in the system 

Edmonton - Probably Bay-Enterprise Square Station as it's the Station I'm most familiar with. (I don't really have a favorite Edmonton Train Station)

Vancouver - Waterfront Station. The architecture, location and that it still retains it's use as a train station since its opening. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

While I've always loved the design of Berlin's (and Moscow's for that matter) metro stations, I never really found an appreciation for Prague's.

"For that matter"? Moscow's the clear winner out there, no questions asked. Here are a few examples of some of the older downtown stations. A lot of the newest stations are beautiful too, in their own way, like Nekrasovka. I think Moscow offers a nice combination of architectural styles ranging from vintage to modern. And of course there are also some more generic stations. Personally I like a lot of the stations in Prague too, some of them somewhat resemble Moscow in terms of fanciness. For example, Hradčanská or Muzeum (line A platform) (same wall pattern), Radlická is another good one. Budapest has a lot of beautifully designed modern stations. By comparison, most of the stations in Toronto are pretty bland (with some exceptions, like Sheppard West or the TYSSE stations). New York's stations are even worse unfortunately, although the complexity of the subway system itself greatly makes up for the lack of good design/cleanliness of the stations.

21 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

To me, the Skoda trains are the highlight there. 

While I agree that for me the only vehicles in Prague worthy of fanning are the 81-71Ms (besides obviously the historic Ečs and 81-717 trains), I can honestly say that after visiting twice I've had enough of Prague for a while. I'm not a tram fan so none of the trams in Prague interest me. Those 81-71Ms, while nicer to have than generic modern trains, are honestly no 81-717s, they completely lost their classic Russian style after Škoda laid a hand on them. The 81-717.2K is more modern yet in a lot of ways more reminiscent of the classic 81-717 that it replaced. But that's just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

most of the stations in Toronto are pretty bland (with some exceptions, like Sheppard West or the TYSSE stations). New York's stations are even worse unfortunately, although the complexity of the subway system itself greatly makes up for the lack of good design/cleanliness of the stations.

I'd give Line 4 (including the Sheppard-Yonge platform on Line 4), Museum, the Dupont, St. Clair West, Spadina, St. Andrew, Union, Queens Park/St. Patrick, Old Mill, Rosedale, Pape, Victoria Park, Yorkdale, and Eglinton West some credit. Sure, they're not masterpieces like Sheppard West or most Moscow/Berlin stations, but they have a decent aesthetic (some are arguably better than the modern Russian ones you shared). 

Not sure you've spent enough time in NYC, because while the station's architecture is usually bland (from it being a cut-and-cover heavy system), the station mosaics are incredible

1 hour ago, Streety McCarface said:

I'd give Line 4 (including the Sheppard-Yonge platform on Line 4), Museum, the Dupont, St. Clair West, Spadina, St. Andrew, Union, Queens Park/St. Patrick, Old Mill, Rosedale, Pape, Victoria Park, Yorkdale, and Eglinton West some credit. Sure, they're not masterpieces like Sheppard West or most Moscow/Berlin stations, but they have a decent aesthetic

Line 4 stations do look like nice modern stations, but I never really cared for the University/Spadina stations (QP and St. Pat's are basically bland versions of Hradčanská/Muzeum/some Moscow stations - same cylindrical shape, but no design), definitely wouldn't consider any of them better than line 4, TYSSE (including ShW) or the typical modern station somewhere like Moscow or Budapest.

Not sure you've spent enough time in NYC

Not even close :P Right now I'm mostly disappointed about not having any R42 shots and wondering if they'll be around long enough until I get back there (haven't figured out when).

because while the station's architecture is usually bland (from it being a cut-and-cover heavy system), the station mosaics are incredible

Wow, never even noticed that. Yes, it certainly does give the stations a better look, but the majority of stations you go into give off a somewhat different impression.

TTC:

1 Yonge-University-Spadina: VMC (Union was my fave before the TYSSE opened)
2 Bloor-Danforth: Kennedy
3 Scarborough RT: Kennedy
4 Sheppard: Don Mills

London Tube:

Heathrow Terminals

• Like 1