https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/9767708-transit-route-for-orangeville-shelburne-dufferin-county-being-developed-by-grey-county/?fbclid=iwar1yc8omnysgmav6bp5x_b6hcczmdswlhyforqqi4sctsiesivxxbmrfjo4

Some news out of Orangeville's press, but it looks like Grey County's starting a new regional transit service linking Owen Sound to the rest of the county, including connections to Blue Mountains (potentially to Simcoe County) and Dufferin County.

Be a good topic to follow for the next few years.

In my own comments, as a Simcoe County resident, I think LINX should do two things - plan a route to either Orangeville or Shelburne to connect with Dufferin's own network (I have a few concepts in mind), as well as figure out a way for Route 2 to go to Downtown Collingwood (which would shave off 30 minutes or more off a direct trip from Barrie to Collingwood by eliminating a transfer to the Route 4 slow bus), while on Grey County's end, the Highway 26 route should go to the central bus station in Downtown Collingwood, so that there is a direct connection between the two systems plus Colltrans.

I applaud this move, and I'm definitely gonna plan a trip in the near future.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

Would it make sense to have GO transit operate this route?

No. This is way outside of GO's service area (which, by the way, is mandated by a provincial regulation), plus any service of this type would likely only be operated with cutaway buses, something that GO has no experience in operating or maintaining.

15 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

https://www.grey.ca/news/grey-transit-route-rolling-ahead

Latest news from five days ago. Looks like FirstGroup in Owen Sound is going to be the contractor. As for fleet, they're talking about going to Metrolinx to "lease" buses, so it could either be Arbocs, or Enviro 200s. 

I never heard of Metrolinx offering a leasing programme though?

Could be a lease to own. Just watch Kasper Transportation will mysteriously start running service as they seem to have been attacking the Voyago routes.

Grey County recently went to market for the lease of 6 buses for the county's regional transit system. 2 buses are bring used for the Owen Sound-Orangeville Route, 2 buses for the Owen Sound-Blue Mountain route, and 1 bus for the Owen Sound-Wiarton Route. The 6th bus will act as a spare.

The winning bidder was Overland Custom Coach who will supply cutaway buses on a Ford F450 chassis. Based on the limited details in the report and checking the Overland website, they appear to be standard floor cutaways with a wheelchair lift - likely the Elkhart EC-II or Glaval Universal.

The lease for all 6 buses will cost $15,234 per month with Grey County having the option to purchase the buses and the end of the lease period on March 2023. 

Damera Bus Sales (Mississauga Bus Group) and City View Bus Sales also bid on the tender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1