Victoria Park/Stampede CTrain Station Overhaul

LRT

• 11 months later...

Time for an update. 

Looks like they the installed the final span segment over the Elbow river bridge today. 

Yesterday they removed a section of “red picket fence” on the east end of the ROW (Stampede grounds) along with some of the structures of Weadickville. 

New catenary fixtures (holes) have been accommodated in the past weeks. 

Stampede yard has been removed to accommodate the new signals building. 

Ctrack is still there for now. Hard to say how long it will be there... probably until the bridge is completed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Jon Calon said:

So is this project behind schedule because of Covid or is it actually going according to the plan and timeline that's indicated in the schedule above?

Not sure... I think it’s on schedule... Ctrack platform is cut up now!

5 minutes ago, LRT said:

Not sure... I think it’s on schedule... Ctrack platform is cut up now!

That was supposed to be done prior to the Labour Day long weekend.  According to the images, it would appear we're behind schedule as the pedestrian bridge and most of the headhouse are supposed to be gone by now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

They've also delivered a lot of the new special trackwork near Erlton station, west of the tracks.  I believe the plan is to install the new switches and crossovers for the south interlocking that will access the new siding bridge on May long weekend.  This siding will replace C-Track.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

They've also delivered a lot of the new special trackwork near Erlton station, west of the tracks.  I believe the plan is to install the new switches and crossovers for the south interlocking that will access the new siding bridge on May long weekend.  This siding will replace C-Track.

I wanted to get some better pics but I'm a little slow and forgot the station buildings are closed 😢 

Here's what I managed from the platform

IMG_9464-Pano.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice progress there.  This weekend is the official end of C-Track at Stampede - no more access for trains, rails are coming out, and mainline switches clamped.  The real start of work here, but it will make things harder when there's a train that needs to get out of the way!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

Nice progress there.  This weekend is the official end of C-Track at Stampede - no more access for trains, rails are coming out, and mainline switches clamped.  The real start of work here, but it will make things harder when there's a train that needs to get out of the way!

Glad I got to see 2301 and a couple others parked on C-Track one last time in June. Hopefully soon they finish up the Elbow river siding.

9 hours ago, green_line_26 said:

Glad I got to see 2301 and a couple others parked on C-Track one last time in June. Hopefully soon they finish up the Elbow river siding.

I don’t believe the new siding on the bridge is ready until at least spring. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

I don’t believe the new siding on the bridge is ready until at least spring. 

Should be interesting to see what happens this winter when we have some B/O trains. 11th Street yard is the only option!

😆

• Like 2

“Lost track” on how many broken down trains I dragged into Ctrack. “Lost track” on how many times I’ve been routed into Ctrack for short turns, hockey game floaters, Stampede fire work extras. It was fun!

• Like 6

At the stampede on closing night I was walking by the stage and some staff asked me to take a picture of them. It was all people from the last 30 years of the stampede. They guy told me they were demolishing the stage for the 17th Ave extension. 

Anyway went by there yesterday and I could have sworn it was already gone when I went by on the train. I swear it was visible from the tracks but I couldn't see it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It’s going to be a huge change there starting Tuesday, for passengers and operators. They were already moving all of the ticket machines onto the platform today, close to the ramps at both ends.  Having pedestrian crossings will be weird. 

It’s been like this since 1981, so it’s going to take some getting used to!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

Did anyone get photos of the indoor station head?  For preservation purposes? 

I have a good set from 2013 that I took for a project. Can send them to you if you want as it would be too much to attach in a post.

• Like 1

Quick question: after zooming in & taking a quick look... why the sheer & utter lack of safety gates & barriers? Considering recent accidents... I kind of thought they'd have some basic safety gates & rails in place? Still shaves off alot of time for pedestrians, but come stampede (or other events), how will people be kept off the tracks, or be warned of incoming trains to also avoid further accidents and fatalities? I zoomed in as much as I could, and I don't see almost any safety infrastructure in place that we see elsewhere (Sunnyside & SAIT for example).