STM 40-XXX Delivery Watch, Sightings and Discussions

Frozen Yogurt

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, MTL66 said:

According to Facebook 41-002 was spotted today. So it looks like there will only be 251 for this order.

We also still have the flyers to put in service. Too bad, looks like the 25 series won't linger for long... and I'm waiting for fall to come so I can be able to take SD lines again... it's pretty sad to imagine how (miserable, probably) SD will be like in a few months, and I've pretty much given up any hope for SN and LE. I have to say, it's not fun when the oldest bus you see daily is some 29-8xx.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

We also still have the flyers to put in service. Too bad, looks like the 25 series won't linger for long... and I'm waiting for fall to come so I can be able to take SD lines again... it's pretty sad to imagine how (miserable, probably) SD will be like in a few months, and I've pretty much given up any hope for SN and LE. I have to say, it's not fun when the oldest bus you see daily is some 29-8xx.

The way it's going for the Flyers... The STM tried to go get another unit at MCI to conduct tests. The bus went into emergency mode and would not come out of it. Kept displaying Police 9-1-1 despite the switch being off. Bunch of electrical issues with them, doesn't help that most of the units spent the winter parked outside at MCI exposed to the elements. The CO I spoke to said they are hopeful for them to be in service for the fall schedules.

• Like 1

I don’t like to spread hearsay but someone on the MdeM forum saying that they might have seen 40-254 last fall. I walked by SN2 yesterday but the door was closed so I couldn’t see anything. Would be interesting to see if the VIN numbers of the remaining undelivered 40s would correspond to those with some of the 41s. Link: https://www.metrodemontreal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12430&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=4480

40-911 was parked inside SN next to door 12 and an unidentifiable fellow New Flyer bus in STM livery was parked outside at the back.

11 hours ago, ReusableNoseTissue said:

I don’t like to spread hearsay but someone on the MdeM forum saying that they might have seen 40-254 last fall. I walked by SN2 yesterday but the door was closed so I couldn’t see anything. Would be interesting to see if the VIN numbers of the remaining undelivered 40s would correspond to those with some of the 41s. Link: https://www.metrodemontreal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12430&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=4480

40-911 was parked inside SN next to door 12 and an unidentifiable fellow New Flyer bus in STM livery was parked outside at the back.

My 2 cents: it's Roger Morriset, notorious for making typos on the facebook group. It could as well been 40-251 or 245 that's supposed to be in that post. Also, that person posts zero original contents, it's mostly tracker 2nd hand info or info scavenged from facebook groups/forums like ours. So I wouldn't trust it that much. Plus it's easy to misread a 1 and 4. 

There's not much to see at SN2 even if the doors are open. I passed by there a little while ago and by luck their door was open, and it's full of beautiful airport runners that we all like sitting inside.

Finally, the Flyers are always parked there at the doors whenever I pass by (just because it's a convenient place to take a walk that is pretty quiet outside rush hours, not much for spotting anything buses these days).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
20 hours ago, M106 said:

If things goes well, some New Flyers (40-9xx) will hit the road with passengers for the first time this Tuesday.  Be aware🧐🤓

It's probably like the 55th time I'm hearing this kind of thing now... it'd be more than surprising if this time it turns out to be true. A tweet from the STM a while ago (answering someone) stated that more testing needs to be done, and the Flyers won't be ready for a few months still.

We'll see I guess.

14 hours ago, 2044 said:

Anyone know why Montreal’s XE40 have taken so long to commission? Toronto’s entered service a few months after they were delivered.

Most of the chargers were not installed, static tests did not go well at the start, requiring buses to be towed. STM has a criteria, the bus must meet X number of hours without incident before being put into service, they just were not hitting it until now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I was dead wrong this time. Can't believe they're finally starting to pick up passengers now.

However, so far only 40-918 went out once yesterday morning. We'll see how often they're in service but I don't expect to come across one of those on the 171 very soon.

Since we're onto Flyers, spotted one at Côte-Vertu yesterday... STL 2054 with strike stickers all over the bus including over the destination signs.

5 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Wow, I was dead wrong this time. Can't believe they're finally starting to pick up passengers now.

However, so far only 40-918 went out once yesterday morning. We'll see how often they're in service but I don't expect to come across one of those on the 171 very soon.

Since we're onto Flyers, spotted one at Côte-Vertu yesterday... STL 2054 with strike stickers all over the bus including over the destination signs.

My sources say that 171 is one of the targeted routes for these tests. Criteria is a Garage-Garage AM assignment returning no later than noon to the garage. No word on if they plan to do afternoon tests. From what I understand, the bus replaces another on the route. Like when training classes go out for road tests, they show up to the start of the route, tell the regular driver to En Transit to his next departure and they will do the run. Same principal will apply here from what I understand, since the drivers trained on the XE40s are in a select group, so only they can drive the buses.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MTL66 said:

My sources say that 171 is one of the targeted routes for these tests. Criteria is a Garage-Garage AM assignment returning no later than noon to the garage. No word on if they plan to do afternoon tests. From what I understand, the bus replaces another on the route. Like when training classes go out for road tests, they show up to the start of the route, tell the regular driver to En Transit to his next departure and they will do the run. Same principal will apply here from what I understand, since the drivers trained on the XE40s are in a select group, so only they can drive the buses.

Well, that's the problem with the 171 (and most SN routes): the runs are either super short (AM rush only, ends before 9:00), or span the entire day. Judging by their choice of that 160 run, they want to choose the longest run that ends before noon. Their choice of run seems to be very limited: I looked at the GTFS for fun and there's basically no runs ending between 9:00 and 12:00. Unless they split the longer runs, the Flyers won't be on the road very much. Maybe that 160 run will get the Flyers a lot.

I saw 40-922 on the 213 today. No pictures unfortunately but I did see it on Côte-Vertu blvd. Similar to the Luminator signs found on the 40/41 series, the destination only displays one line of text at a time. The text "Parc-Industriel" at the front was displayed in a smaller (and weird) font. However, St-Laurent on the other hand was giant and big. Pretty weird to see two completely different formats.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 12:45 AM, Frozen Yogurt said:

Well, that's the problem with the 171 (and most SN routes): the runs are either super short (AM rush only, ends before 9:00), or span the entire day. Judging by their choice of that 160 run, they want to choose the longest run that ends before noon. Their choice of run seems to be very limited: I looked at the GTFS for fun and there's basically no runs ending between 9:00 and 12:00. Unless they split the longer runs, the Flyers won't be on the road very much. Maybe that 160 run will get the Flyers a lot.

The way I understand they are doing these runs is what is called a Batisse. Where they take portions of different runs and mash them together to make a run. When they have too many runs and not enough reserve drivers, they will make what is called a batisse. They take half or 1 full round trip and combine it with other segements. Example is school specials and industrial extras late at night that don't have an assignment. Instead of giving these half trips to drivers in OT, where the driver is paid 3 hours even he/she only works 20 mins, they will run a program to make a profitable run. 747 is often a route done by Batisse, since they have planned extras in case of overload. Batisse runs can often be nice shifts for the drivers, as combining half runs, making buses deadhead between thse half runs, I have seen Batisse runs where the drivers can have 40+ minute breaks upon arrival from a deadhead.

I took 40-906 for a short ride on the 105 this morning. It was a very nice ride, however there was one glaring issue: the driver's plexiglass barrier swings outward when the front doors are closed to improve the driver's visibility (same as on the STL units). However this creates delays on a busy route like the 105, where people run after the bus: people get on and fumble around for their fare, and the driver can't close the door and leave until they have paid and crossed the yellow line. Hopefully they disable this feature.

On 12/13/2021 at 6:51 AM, MTL66 said:

The way I understand they are doing these runs is what is called a Batisse. Where they take portions of different runs and mash them together to make a run. When they have too many runs and not enough reserve drivers, they will make what is called a batisse. They take half or 1 full round trip and combine it with other segements. Example is school specials and industrial extras late at night that don't have an assignment. Instead of giving these half trips to drivers in OT, where the driver is paid 3 hours even he/she only works 20 mins, they will run a program to make a profitable run. 747 is often a route done by Batisse, since they have planned extras in case of overload. Batisse runs can often be nice shifts for the drivers, as combining half runs, making buses deadhead between thse half runs, I have seen Batisse runs where the drivers can have 40+ minute breaks upon arrival from a deadhead.

So I actually take this run I had 40-906 on pretty regularly, and I can confirm that it was the regular driver at the wheel. Maybe they do the Batisse's in other cases though, 40-904 did a mixed assortment of 115 and 105 trips from different runs the other day.

image_2021-12-16_194953.png

image_2021-12-16_195020.png

image_2021-12-16_195101.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 12/13/2021 at 6:51 AM, MTL66 said:

Thanks for the explanation. May I ask how are they evaluating those buses? It seems like nobody is doing the observations on board, so how do they collect the data and analyze them?

The gap between the perimeter seating at the rear section and the wall/window is horribly large, you can fit a reasonably-sized human in there. Such a waste of space for such an uncomfortable layout, all because it supposedly "looks" open and clean. What a pity.

6 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

May I ask how are they evaluating those buses? It seems like nobody is doing the observations on board, so how do they collect the data and analyze them?

I believe every bus now have remote diagnostic and statistics, that's the standard now on trains and trucks. Otherwise the bus is always recording events on a onboard computer, they can extract this info once at the garage.

Check in the brochure the section about Connect 360.

12 hours ago, FelixINX said:

I believe every bus now have remote diagnostic and statistics, that's the standard now on trains and trucks. Otherwise the bus is always recording events on a onboard computer, they can extract this info once at the garage.

Check in the brochure the section about Connect 360.

I thought they said they wanted to evaluate the comfort or something along the line in their press release, so I don't really understand how they can assess things without passenger input. I was probably having too much hope about the STM caring about its riders for once I guess...