SMS

Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

Not a OC / STO question, but still a GOA question

I was treating a (long) backlog of pictures. In 2017 i took pictures of the "famous" tourist blue bird flatnose with half the roof missing that were operated by Downtown GO Tours, however in 2018 the same bus is now showing the Gray Line / Lady Dive logos

What happen, is Downtown GO Tours got bought, bankrupty, was a division of Lady Dive all that time

LADYDIVE_BP2 943_20180805_A.JPG

TOURSCENTREVILLEGO_BP2 943_20170813_A.JPG

8 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Is it me or did Oc deactivate the buzzer that would go off when the rear doors on Nova are unlocked?

@Enviro_1203 any insight? 

Yes, the buzzers are being disconnected. I drove 4727 the other day, I am unsure if it came with the buzzer or not as it is also completely silent.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:52 AM, Loud-Invero said:

What LF's have white rear doors? I know 6355 has them, I could have sworn 6351 as well... 

6351-6357 all have white interior doors, although I don't really know why they are the oddballs considering all the S50 D60LFs had black doors as well as everything from 6358-6403 and 6404-6709.

23 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

Yes, the buzzers are being disconnected. I drove 4727 the other day, I am unsure if it came with the buzzer or not as it is also completely silent.

4609 also has them disabled.

Just now, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

6351-6357 all have white interior doors, although I don't really know why they are the oddballs considering all the S50 D60LFs had black doors as well as everything from 6358-6403 and 6404-6709.

They were delivered like that. Why? No one knows. They will likely be painted black when the buses go thru refurbishment.

1 hour ago, Enviro_1203 said:

They were delivered like that. Why? No one knows. They will likely be painted black when the buses go thru refurbishment.

6353 has them painted black

• Thanks 1

So I got 6454 as my bus the other day and I notice it has a blue light filter at the front to reduce glare. I personally only seen this on new double deckers, in any model 2015 and up. Are there any other buses that have this other than double-deckers?

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

So I got 6454 as my bus the other day and I notice it has a blue light filter at the front to reduce glare. I personally only seen this on new double deckers, in any model 2015 and up. Are there any other buses that have this other than double-deckers?

6454 was the test bus 4 years ago, all lights in the forward half of the bus had blue filters at the time.

Very interesting piece focusing on an OC Transpo bus operator who's venting about the state of things in the capital's transit system …

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/oc-transpo-schedules-nothing-but-fiction-driver-says-in-scathing-attack

A short excerpt follows:

In a rare, unblinking assessment from someone on the front lines, Chris Grover, 46, submitted a letter to this newspaper, personally apologizing for longstanding, unreliable bus service.

“First, I would like to apologize to every resident, taxpayer and transit user on behalf of OC Transpo and of the City of Ottawa,” Grover writes, though cautioning that he does not speak for the city, OC or the operators’ union, ATU Local 279.

“I am sorry that we have lied to you for years.”

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Apparently 4267 has an "MCI steering wheel"? Is that the case today, if it was true to begin with?

If the original post was in reference to the horn cover, there are covers from MCI, Orion, New Flyer, and ones with a horn icon stuck across the fleet.

5 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

If the original post was in reference to the horn cover, there are covers from MCI, Orion, New Flyer, and ones with a horn icon stuck across the fleet.

That would be my guess as well, I noticed the MCI logo on an invero years ago. Look at the Vehicle Improvement Products website and you'll realize that they make most transit and coach steering wheels, wouldn't shock me to see them buy replacements from whoever had them cheapest.

9 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

That would be my guess as well, I noticed the MCI logo on an invero years ago. Look at the Vehicle Improvement Products website and you'll realize that they make most transit and coach steering wheels, wouldn't shock me to see them buy replacements from whoever had them cheapest.

Or who knows, that MCI cap or the entire steering wheel could have come off an old Classic that got scrapped. From what I remember OC Transpo has been using that same steering wheel on all their vehicles for decades.

Found out last night that the 104 didn't die on October 6th... Rode the once a week trip on the 104 from the Train station to Hurdman. 5 minutes. from 23:25 to 23:30 to serve the last VIA train. 

Google does not have this trip but bus buddy does as "Hurdman Shuttle". Marked on internal computers as 104 and signed up as 104.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCtranspo10 said:

Found out last night that the 104 didn't die on October 6th... Rode the once a week trip on the 104 from the Train station to Hurdman. 5 minutes. from 23:25 to 23:30 to serve the last VIA train. 

Google does not have this trip but bus buddy does as "Hurdman Shuttle". Marked on internal computers as 104 and signed up as 104.

In the GTFS data its short name is "Hurd" and its ID is 104. I had been wondering why that was there...

Someone posted photos on the /r/Ottawa subreddit of bus 4436 that has crashed through a garage door - possibly Pinecrest garage.  No date provided.  Can anyone confirm this actually happened?

GM ARTIC's

I remember when in 1982 we got I think it was 21 or 22 not sure which GM Artics buses back in 1982. When they all arrive they all had that small window(passengers side next to front door).

During the time we had them during the trial period some(not sure how many)lost that small window after a retrofit. I'm not sure of why they lost that window, but does anyone recall how many lost that window and as to why? 

8222 doesn't have that window, but if you look at photo's of OC GM Artics some have that window while others don't. Like I said as to why that window was eliminated on some but not others I;m not sure why. The only thing I can think of is structural issues on some buses?

I'm not sure if any of the Mississauga,TTC or HSR GM Artics had the same issue or not?

21 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

GM ARTIC's

I remember when in 1982 we got I think it was 21 or 22 not sure which GM Artics buses back in 1982. When they all arrive they all had that small window(passengers side next to front door).

During the time we had them during the trial period some(not sure how many)lost that small window after a retrofit. I'm not sure of why they lost that window, but does anyone recall how many lost that window and as to why? 

8222 doesn't have that window, but if you look at photo's of OC GM Artics some have that window while others don't. Like I said as to why that window was eliminated on some but not others I;m not sure why. The only thing I can think of is structural issues on some buses?

I'm not sure if any of the Mississauga,TTC or HSR GM Artics had the same issue or not?

Most artics lost the "raindrop" window near the front window because the buses had structural issues. The buses were literally a Classic front end grafted onto a modified 60 foot version of a fishbowl. The front section was the first 30 feet taken straight from a 35 foot Fishbowl, and the rear section of the bus was the last 25 feet of the 40 foot version of the Fishbowl.

I recall reading somewhere that the GM artics used normal Fishbowl frames from the front wheelwell back. As a result, they weren't strong enough to handle the increased leverage of the Classic fronts. To compensate, most if not all 53 GM artics from all four agencies (OC, TTC, Hamilton, Mississauga) had to get new frame members welded above the front wheelwell and in the space where the window originally was, thus solving the structural problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How come transitway speeds are being reduced everywhere? Lincoln and Queensway use to be 90 km/h but reduced to 70 km/h, Walkley and heron use to be 90 km/h but reduced to 70 km/h?

I remember the Barrhaven crossing was changed because of the fatal collision so it was reduced in intervals from 90 → 70 → 50 → 30

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

How come transitway speeds are being reduced everywhere? Lincoln and Queensway use to be 90 km/h but reduced to 70 km/h, Walkley and heron use to be 90 km/h but reduced to 70 km/h?

I remember the Barrhaven crossing was changed because of the fatal collision so it was reduced in intervals from 90 → 70 → 50 → 30

Might be related to the upcoming Stage 2 construction. 

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:

Might be related to the upcoming Stage 2 construction. 

It could have something to do with the safety checks going on in the system. 

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/oc-transpo-to-conduct-safety-review-of-transitway-stations/amp

I dont know why they didn't do it after the accident.  It seems shocking that they have not fixed the issue that caused the accident in the first place. 

Is that incompetence, lazyness or just the lack of caring? The same accident could happen tomorrow and nothing has been done to prevent it. 

On 12/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, Enviro_1203 said:

Has 6351 been refurbished yet? I’m sitting in it now (88 Hurdman) and it’s still got the white rear doors.

12 minutes ago, bsnider001 said:

Has 6351 been refurbished yet? I’m sitting in it now (88 Hurdman) and it’s still got the white rear doors.

According the the refurb thread, no. One way to identify a refurbished D60LF would be the absence of the yellow treadles located on the floor of each bottom door (Also applicable to 6642 which was refurbed, also identifiable from outside because the bus will not have yellow strips below the rear doors similar to the S50 D60LFs). However, some D60LFs and D60LFRs lack the yellow treadles despite not being refurbed.

The seats also should be dark blue as new covers are put on and the body should be shiny.

Only 6365, 6366, 6374, 6381, and 6385 are refurbished and in service at this point. 6380, 6393, and 6402 are being refurbished right now.

• Like 2

Rode 6557 on the 57 Bells Corners with the operator being one of the forum members, thanks for the safe ride to Lincoln Fields 😉

• Like 1