SMS

Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

From yesterday:

5116 → 262 West Ridge (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:15 PM)
5085 → 62 Stittsville (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:15 PM)
8022 → 61 Terry Fox (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:16 PM)
6530 → 257X Special (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:17 PM)
5092 → 61 Terry Fox (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:18 PM)
8047 → 251 Bells Corners (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:19 PM)
4266 → 258 Hastings (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:21 PM)
8034 → 111 Carleton (Meadowlands/Deer Park @ 3:52 PM)
8137 → 86 Tunney's Pasture (Meadowlands/Eagle @ 3:53 PM)

Just now, Loud-Invero said:

From yesterday:

5116 → 262 West Ridge (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:15 PM)
5085 → 62 Stittsville (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:15 PM)
8022 → 61 Terry Fox (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:16 PM)
6530 → 257X Special (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:17 PM)
5092 → 61 Terry Fox (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:18 PM)
8047 → 251 Bells Corners (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:19 PM)
4266 → 258 Hastings (Tunney's Pasture @ 3:21 PM)
8034 → 111 Carleton (Meadowlands/Deer Park @ 3:52 PM)
8137 → 86 Tunney's Pasture (Meadowlands/Eagle @ 3:53 PM)

These belong in the OC Transpo spottings thread

@Centralsmt please don't call me a mod because I said this.

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

Then let the mods do their job 🙄, no need to stick your nose in, its a first world problem.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

Oh man, I seriously gotta read the thread title. FCS 🤦🏻‍♂️ not again...

2 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Wow, over the next five years, the STO intend to purchase:

• 135 hybrid buses
  • 16 electric buses
  • 10 electric articulated buses

plus an additional 147 electric buses in the five years after that, with a total expenditure of $471.3M.

How many in inveros are there that are wrapped? I know 4291, 4420 and 4481 are wrapped but I'm not sure if that's all

1 minute ago, Loud-Invero said:

How many in inveros are there that are wrapped? I know 4291, 4420 and 4484 are wrapped but I'm not sure if that's all

As far as I'm aware. Only the 3 

8 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

How many Novas are ad wrapped? 4603 and 4609 are the only ones I know of.

As far as I'm aware just the 2.

Does anyone know if the Big Yellow DD is still roaming around ? 

12 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

As far as I'm aware just the 2.

Does anyone know if the Big Yellow DD is still roaming around ? 

8067. It was the last time I saw it about a month ago. Don’t see too many DDs downtown anymore. 

Does anyone know what the second light above the LRT doors is for? I know the one on the left flashes when the doors open or close, but what's the one on the right for?

1 minute ago, MCIBUS said:

Does anyone know what the second light above the LRT doors is for? I know the one on the left flashes when the doors open or close, but what's the one on the right for?

It indicates if a door is locked out and will not open. There's another light that does the same thing on the inside on one of the panels next to every door.

I may have already asked this question before.

Is 43 buses the most buses the STO has ever purchased in it's history?

Also noticed that ever since the 2002 Nova LFSs the STO hasn't skipped a year of new buses since then. 

16 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Also noticed that ever since the 2002 Nova LFSs the STO hasn't skipped a year of new buses since then. 

Does STO use steady state procurement? I feel like I only see like a dozen new buses enter service every year and I can't tell if it's proportional to the size of the STO fleet or because they're spreading their purchases out over a longer period.

https://www.octranspo.com/en/news/article/remembrance-day-service/

On Monday, November 11, ride at no-charge on OC Transpo buses, O-Train Lines 1 and 2, and Para Transpo. You do not need to tap or pay your fare when boarding the bus and all fare gates will be open.

OC Transpo and Para Transpo buses will pull to the side of the road at 11 am to observe two minutes of silence. The Last Post and Reveille will be played over the bus radios. A moment of silence will also be observed on O-Train Lines.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:33 PM, Busing_the_34 said:

Does anybody have a link or something official stating that STO plans to retire the 02 - 03 nova buses?

I don’t believe they are planning to retire them at all for the current time being.

5 hours ago, Busing_the_34 said:

I love the patern in the seats of 0702.

20191118_112003.jpg

If my memory serves me  0701 & 02  share the same seat patern. With 0703 -onwards haveing the standard blue coloured seats. 

On 10/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, JCL said:

Door Master Switch is not suppose to be used unless there is a technical issue with the rear doors closing. So the answer is, no. 

There are several operators (from what I've seen) use the Door Master Switch in order to not wait for the rear doors to close AND wait for the rear interlock to release. 

Similarly with the double decker buses, although there is no Door Master Switch to force close the rear doors, there is an Interlock Override switch that overrides the front door and rear door interlock. I have seen some operators on double deckers use the Interlock Override switch to not wait for any doors to close (bus pulls away as the rear doors are closing). 

Responding to my own post...

I just came across a video on Twitter of the Interlock Override switch being used (for an actual legitimate reason) on a double decker bus (8000 series) due to the back doors not closing properly at Carleton - the operator used the switch to disable the interlock in order to move the bus out of the way while trying to close the back doors.

• Like 3

On 11/18/2019 at 10:10 PM, JCL said:

Responding to my own post...

I just came across a video on Twitter of the Interlock Override switch being used (for an actual legitimate reason) on a double decker bus (8000 series) due to the back doors not closing properly at Carleton - the operator used the switch to disable the interlock in order to move the bus out of the way while trying to close the back doors.

That's a case of the curb being too high coupled with the pothole along the edge of the road by the curb. Eep.

In the 8000s double-deckers, the operation of the switch is quite simple. Flip it, and the interlock will be overridden until the switch is flipped back.

The 8100s have a more complex mode of operation. If the switch is flipped, but the interlock is not overridden in any way, flipping back the switch would simply shut off the override, nothing complicated. However, if the interlock was overridden at some point (eg. door(s) open with bus in motion), not only would the beeping from the dashboard intensify, but the operator, upon deactivating the interlock override, would be required to touch the brake prior to continuing normal operations. In that case, once the override switch is deactivated, the accelerator becomes deactivated and stays that way until the service brake is applied.

• Like 1

So what's the deal with the wheelchair ramps in the back of STO's 2nd gen nova's? I heard they were faulty but why were they there in the first place since you aren't allowed to enter from the backdoor?

27 minutes ago, Busing_the_34 said:

So what's the deal with the wheelchair ramps in the back of STO's 2nd gen nova's? I heard they were faulty but why were they there in the first place since you aren't allowed to enter from the backdoor?

To my knolage The 2nd Gen Novas (0201 through 0910) were delivered with an active ramp and wheelchair spot but were deactivated/removed before entering service. Not sure why ?