Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

6 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Per the O-Train Thread, Westboro was demolished today. I do have a question though. I noticed Westboro, Tunney's Pasture and I believe Lees station at one point had their glass replaced with silver sheets of metal. How come they had silver canopies while every other transitway station had tinted, curved glass windows with their canopies?

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

This is just a guess, cheaper I'm guessing.

Lincoln Fields (Large waiting room) had a bunch of the overhead windows replaced (iirc it was due to water getting inside the building)

Was just reading this article about the Chapel Hill South Park and Ride. Struggling to attract any demand due to limited service.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/chapel-hill-south-park-ride-empty-oc-transpo-1.6605543

Final comments:

There were plans for the Cumberland Transitway, but that is still a very long time considering the focus is extending light rail network. With Place D'Orleans and Trim having a lot more capacity and frequent service. If people were to choose a park and ride, those would be the two likely locations that will be utilized. 

Versus a park and ride with very limited service. 

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Was just reading this article about the Chapel Hill South Park and Ride. Struggling to attract any demand due to limited service.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/chapel-hill-south-park-ride-empty-oc-transpo-1.6605543

Final comments:

With Place D'Orleans and Trim having a lot more capacity and frequent service. If people were to choose a park and ride, those would be the two likely locations that will be utilized. 

Versus a park and ride with very limited service. 

The same could be said about the park and rides at the CTC , Nepean woods , Riverview & Leitrim.

The CTC P&R has unpredictable service even though it’s served all day by the 62  (even though some Route 62 drivers skip the stop entirely) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

There were plans for the Cumberland Transitway, but that is still a very long time considering the focus is extending light rail network.

The current hold up on the Cumberland Transitway is that the City and the NCC disagree on where it should be built.

In any case, this whole thing is overblown. Innovation Park and Ride is pretty similar location-wise and is also adjacent to the "future" March Road BRT, but still saw moderate use pre-pandemic. The pandemic coupled with very poor service levels make Chapel Hill South more or less useless now, but when it was built it could have attracted some use. That's my two cents anyway.

Was browsing GC Surplus recently and came across a listing for a bus shelter in Ottawa, not sure if it's connected to OCtranspo in any way, but if anyone has north of a thousand bucks lying around...

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=430755&lcn=579874&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos&saleType=A

Image 16

22 hours ago, Orion VI said:

Was browsing GC Surplus recently and came across a listing for a bus shelter in Ottawa, not sure if it's connected to OCtranspo in any way, but if anyone has north of a thousand bucks lying around...

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=430755&lcn=579874&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos&saleType=A

Image 16

Doesn't look like anything OC has used before. My guess is that it was for smokers.

The one thing I wish was a issue in the mayoral election is how people who uses OC Transpo and LRT are jumping onto the buses for free or breaking through the gates at LRT, obviously something is wrong in how OC Transpo deals with fare-evaders and the best way to enforce it is by have fare inspectors at random stations and buses and those who don't pay their fare, the inspectors should take them off the bus and deal with them... I been living in Ottawa for 16 months now and not once has a OC Transpo officer ask me for proof of fare, while when I was in high school, I see them on the 95 every day after school... Not sure what everyone's view is on this but everytime I see someone pry a gate open or board without paying, it makes me think "This is why our bus fares as so expensive"

1 hour ago, Transitfan39 said:

The one thing I wish was a issue in the mayoral election is how people who uses OC Transpo and LRT are jumping onto the buses for free or breaking through the gates at LRT, obviously something is wrong in how OC Transpo deals with fare-evaders and the best way to enforce it is by have fare inspectors at random stations and buses and those who don't pay their fare, the inspectors should take them off the bus and deal with them... I been living in Ottawa for 16 months now and not once has a OC Transpo officer ask me for proof of fare, while when I was in high school, I see them on the 95 every day after school... Not sure what everyone's view is on this but everytime I see someone pry a gate open or board without paying, it makes me think "This is why our bus fares as so expensive"

Fare inspectors (the official job title is Transit Fare Enforcement Officer, or "TFEO"), last I heard was that when the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020, they've been pulled from their duties and reassigned elsewhere within OC. I don't believe they have returned to their duties ever since (one of them I recognize is working as a Station Attendant wearing the red-vest). So at this point, it's up to the Special Constables for enforcement (which I've never seen, except one time almost 20 years ago). 

And then there are those who are advocating transit should be at no charge at all....

6 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

Yes fare evasion is rampant on OC property, but it’s because the infrastructure has made it this way. Decades of teaching passengers to do all door boarding with 60ft buses, transitway or not. Now with the mismatched LRT stations that were slapped onto bus stations (minus hurdman) it’s extremely easy to just walk on through the roads and bam you’re in a fare paid zone. 

although as a driver I’d love to see fare enforcement brought back, I don’t know if it will but I don’t check fares anymore because the minute I question an expired transfer people think it’s okay to lash out and threaten/yell at us… it’s a different world in transit these days 

On 10/28/2022 at 11:46 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

Yes fare evasion is rampant on OC property, but it’s because the infrastructure has made it this way. Decades of teaching passengers to do all door boarding with 60ft buses, transitway or not. Now with the mismatched LRT stations that were slapped onto bus stations (minus hurdman) it’s extremely easy to just walk on through the roads and bam you’re in a fare paid zone. 

although as a driver I’d love to see fare enforcement brought back, I don’t know if it will but I don’t check fares anymore because the minute I question an expired transfer people think it’s okay to lash out and threaten/yell at us… it’s a different world in transit these days 

I constantly see people prying the LRT gates open enough to get through, it gets to the point I can identify 3 stations in the network where people get through the gates, which is Rideau at number 1, followed by St Laurent and Parliament, and the one thing I absolutely hate is when people board through the back door of a LFS or Invero at Rideau, once I saw 3 fare enforcement officers standing around chatting while people boarded through the back door of a LFS not 100 feet away without paying

4 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

I constantly see people prying the LRT gates open enough to get through, it gets to the point I can identify 3 stations in the network where people get through the gates, which is Rideau at number 1, followed by St Laurent and Parliament, and the one thing I absolutely hate is when people board through the back door of a LFS or Invero at Rideau, once I saw 3 fare enforcement officers standing around chatting while people boarded through the back door of a LFS not 100 feet away without paying

Solution: just implement card readers at the rear doors. Tackles the problem in a heartbeat.

Does anyone know if free transit is happening again in December under the new municipal government? With the gas cartels that is OPEC (and non-OPEC countries for that matter) having announced that companies under their wing will be artificially cutting supply which will bring prices back up to $2 a liter or more in the coming months, I honestly  can't bare paying $80-100 bi weekly for 02' Civic (or even more money if I do food delivery) again, so I'm looking to cut back as I wouldn't be surprised if petrol prices reach as high as diesel did 3 weeks ago (about $2.50/L).

41 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Does anyone know if free transit is happening again in December under the new municipal government?

No.

It only happened last year because the Confederation Line was shut down for two months. The foregone fare revenue was recouped by not paying RTG for that downtime. There's nowhere to recoup lost fare revenue this year, plus there's still a deficit to deal with.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

It doesn’t help, but it allows transit to board passengers faster while also absolving the operator of conflict over fares, it’s a lot easier to ignore back doors 

It could, at least a little bit. Honestly, I am surprised OC Transpo hasn't done this yet, meanwhile the transit agency across the river has implemented card readers at the rear doors of all buses for about a year now. Personally, I would imagine that once the pilot project has completed with the new card readers, and once they come into full swing, they should install the readers at all doors of all buses. It would be the perfect time to do so as well, but who knows if that's actually the plan or not? I sure do hope so.

On that note, does anyone actually know when the pilot project for the new readers end?

2 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

No.

It only happened last year because the Confederation Line was shut down for two months. The foregone fare revenue was recouped by not paying RTG for that downtime. There's nowhere to recoup lost fare revenue this year, plus there's still a deficit to deal with.

Ah shucks, sucks to hear that. A pass is only slightly cheaper than a month's supply of gas to my work and back. $40-$80 is not worth the loss time. I guess I shouldn't worry though as hundreds of millions of more dollars will be "invested" on stroads, expanding existing stroads, and more enforcement cameras instead of turning stroads into a street or a road to prevent the need for cameras in the first place 📸 - that will do it!  laugh.gif.c233bf3d2ccc3bbf798dabeb03fb0237.gif

9 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Ah shucks, sucks to hear that. A pass is only slightly cheaper than a month's supply of gas to my work and back. $40-$80 is not worth the loss time. I guess I shouldn't worry though as hundreds of millions of more dollars will be "invested" on stroads, expanding existing stroads, and more enforcement cameras instead of turning stroads into a street or a road to prevent the need for cameras in the first place 📸 - that will do it!  laugh.gif.c233bf3d2ccc3bbf798dabeb03fb0237.gif

And transit will be cut from the burbs as well, the 75's Capacity is about to be reduced under David Hill 

On 11/6/2022 at 11:01 PM, TransitGeek said:

It could, at least a little bit. Honestly, I am surprised OC Transpo hasn't done this yet, meanwhile the transit agency across the river has implemented card readers at the rear doors of all buses for about a year now. Personally, I would imagine that once the pilot project has completed with the new card readers, and once they come into full swing, they should install the readers at all doors of all buses. It would be the perfect time to do so as well, but who knows if that's actually the plan or not? I sure do hope so.

And on both sides of those doors for artics and DDs.

Question?

If a trip is cancelled for what ever reasons, and the next trip is 1/2 latter but that trip is also cancelled  so customers would basically be waiting for 1 hour till the next trip, but that route usually has an average to large load, would OC try to fill that 2nd run? or would they just let the 3rd trip(after the two cancelled runs) and let the bus be packed that you can hardly move?

My guess would be let the two trips be cancelled and let everyone wait for the 3rd trip not carrying if they piss off the passengers and letting the driver get bitched at by passengers?

They haven't printed any since Summer 2020. I don't see them printing any more. Though some customers may not have a "Smart Phone" I would say the mass majority do, and with all the ways of getting scheduled  bus times-info at stop, 560-1000, 560-560Text, several bus apps and online, I honestly don't see them coming back. Though I would like them too, I dought it.

• Thanks 1