Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

This may be a weird question but a viewer on my youtube channel pointed it out to me, why are the new NewFlyer XE40 buses number 2101-04? Is OC Transpo starting to number new buses based on the year or is XE40 buses just a prototype and they are going to buy over a 100 of the new buses? The last time I remember OC Transpo having a handful of new buses was the first Double deckers they had (1201-1202) and then the new permanent double deckers were given their own fleet number 

2 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

This may be a weird question but a viewer on my youtube channel pointed it out to me, why are the new NewFlyer XE40 buses number 2101-04? Is OC Transpo starting to number new buses based on the year or is XE40 buses just a prototype and they are going to buy over a 100 of the new buses? The last time I remember OC Transpo having a handful of new buses was the first Double deckers they had (1201-1202) and then the new permanent double deckers were given their own fleet number 

It’s actually not known yet if this will be the new fleet numbering system, we’ve asked before ( internally ) and were given no definitive answer. I personally wouldn’t be against a numbering scheme of year/number of buses like the old days. If they choose to go the usual way the next bath of electric buses could either be 4850+ or in the 5000/7000s for different “fuel” type as were the Orion Hybrids in the 5000s

• Like 1

I'm hoping someone could answer this as I can't really find a report which is really strange considering I can find almost any report from nearly 15 to 20 years ago on OC Transpo, but what was the official reason the canopies at Queensway station in both directions (Upper level) were removed? They were not removed until 2012, so I asumme the even larger 2007 DDs has no problem clearing it before hand. Any info would be great, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

I'm hoping someone could answer this as I can't really find a report which is really strange considering I can find almost any report from nearly 15 to 20 years ago on OC Transpo, but what was the official reason the canopies at Queensway station in both directions (Upper level) were removed? They were not removed until 2012, so I asumme the even larger 2007 DDs has no problem clearing it before hand. Any info would be great, thanks!

Hybrid rear doors kept getting caught on them, and also the double deckers.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

14 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

Hybrid rear doors kept getting caught on them, and also the double deckers.

4 hours ago, Mrkaboom1 said:

Did not know about the hybrid had issues at queensway, only knew about the DD safety issue. That's actually hilarious.

The overhead canopy were taken off sometime in early-2013 for that reasons that @Enviro_1203 stated (though more so for the Orion VII Hybrids). I first noticed the that the canopy was no longer at Queensway Station Upper Level in April 2013. 

As for @Loud-Invero 's  question on whether or not there is a staff report -- this is a day-to-day operational decision that OC Transpo staff would have delegated authority to make and doesn't require City Council or Transit Commission approval. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info guys. Though I am surprised it took almost 3 to 4 years since the hybrid came out for them to fix the problem they faced... was it because post 2013 that they decided to use hybrids to run routes like the 61 in Kanata or the 261 in Stittsville because they got rid of too many good buses in 2011 or so, which then the problem of the Queensway canopies became apparent?

22 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Thanks for the info guys. Though I am surprised it took almost 3 to 4 years since the hybrid came out for them to fix the problem they faced... was it because post 2013 that they decided to use hybrids to run routes like the 61 in Kanata or the 261 in Stittsville because they got rid of too many good buses in 2011 or so, which then the problem of the Queensway canopies became apparent?

There were no runs or very few scheduled runs where hybrid buses with trips on routes going to/from Kanata via Hwy 417 or the Transitway.

If Hybrids did end up on runs that weren't suppose to get them (which definitely occurred as I use to post their sightings), then there were bus availability issues where Hybrids were the only buses left for assignment at a garage in order to make service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well my 46 Billings was late yet again at the Pearly Rideau Health Old Age Home. I understand what's going on with OC, I rather the bus be late by 5, 10 mins then the trip being cancaled and having to wait another 30 mins for the next unless that gets cancaled as well.

I was on the 46 Billings  DD bus, and though the bus was 10 mins late I could hear a lady arguing with the driver as why he was late, I felt like telling the lady shut up at least the bus showed up, so he's 10 mins late better then not showing up at all.

• Like 1

I received a June 2022 OC Transpo system map today in the mail, which I had requested through the information phone line.  The cover shows a Line 1 O-Train pulling into Tremblay Station.

I also asked the customer service agent whether she could send me any previous system maps, but she told me that the was not able to enter that request.

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

I received a June 2022 OC Transpo system map today in the mail, which I had requested through the information phone line.  The cover shows a Line 1 O-Train pulling into Tremblay Station.

I also asked the customer service agent whether she could send me any previous system maps, but she told me that the was not able to enter that request.

Carleton University has quite a few OC Transpo vintage maps available to view on their site. Click here

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Gregory said:

Carleton University has quite a few OC Transpo vintage maps available to view on their site. Click here

I'll also add for people here, me and Tom also have some maps not listed on Carleton site as well. Example, Carleton 1998 map is peak period only while Tom has the 1998 regular route version (digital). I have a September 2004 map while Carleton only has June 2004 which was before the biggest cuts to transit occurred, which saw many routes, including Route 90, canceled in September 2004

21 hours ago, Gregory said:

4 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I'll also add for people here, me and Tom also have some maps not listed on Carleton site as well. Example, Carleton 1998 map is peak period only while Tom has the 1998 regular route version (digital). I have a September 2004 map while Carleton only has June 2004 which was before the biggest cuts to transit occurred, which saw many routes, including Route 90, canceled in September 2004

Indeed, I've already downloaded all of the maps on Carleton's website, plus several other system maps from OC Transpo's website which aren't on Carleton's website.  I also have paper copies of every OC Transpo map from June 1988 until October 2019, plus one map each from 1976, 1984, 1985 and 1986, along with photocopies of maps from 1981, 1982 and 1987, so I was hoping that I might have been able to fill a few holes in my collection, particularly the ones during the "COVID gap". ^_^

Something been making me curious since February, Is there any reason why the designation sign for Route 18 still says "18 Parliament/Parlement" since it hasn't ended at Parliament since January? I seen the 18 start at Parliament maybe 2 times since February but its so weird that they don't just update the on bus designation sign for the 18

The NSAS (or "Clever" Device) signs the bus automatically for drivers which defaults to "18 Parliament" as on paper, Parliament is its terminus and this closure is just a "detour". Clearly the system hasn't changed the default to Rideau. To my understanding, most new drivers aren't really taught to screw around with the luminator keypad to input (Probably outdated) 18D to sign up as 18X Special to at least attempt to convey a different routing, but I don't see this being fixed anytime soon TBH. You could complain to Twitter, certainly have better odds getting it fixed there..

My point is OC Transpo should just make it official and have the system changed to 18 Rideau, they already have the terminus listed as Rideau, I always assumed they would change it when the new schedule comes out, unless they will change it in September for the 2022-23 schedule

Although the sign still does display 18 parliament with no apparent return to parliament station (why it doesn’t go elgin/Queen to station I have no idea) the NSAS does announce last stop at Rideau station and it signs out of service before entering Rideau. 

as for the return trip from “parliament” I’m not positive as I haven’t done any trips from that direction since the convoy but I believe operators just follow a manual timetable to start at Rideau station which is normally 3-5 min after parliament 

part of me thinks OC is holding out in hopes they reopen Wellington so they don’t need to do revised maps and schedules  

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to post this on this thread rather than the 'O-Train Line 1 Confederation Line' or the 'Trillium LIne' threads

There is a Webinar scheduled for September 14, 2022 at 12pm discussing the topic on Improving Track Availability, hosted by TRACCS (Transit Rail Association for Canadian Contractors, Maintainers and Standards)

It is a free event.

https://www.traccs.ca/event-details/improving-track-availability

STO fall schedules affective August 29th are now available on Plani-Bus.  A few things to note:

• A noticeable shift in resources.  Peak routes will be less frequent.
  • Route 56 will run mid-day every 60 minutes.
  • Route 38 will see a service increase to every 20 minutes mid-day on weekdays, and will increase to every 30 minutes on weekends.
  • Route 52 will not increase to every 30 minutes on Saturdays.  Service every 60 minutes will be maintained.
  • Routes 55 and 59 will be slightly less frequent during peak hours.
  • The terminal at Promenades Gatineau will be closed as of August 29th (I assume it will be demolished to make way for Costco Gas).  Bus stops moved to Ch. de la Savane.  I'm awaiting word from Orléans Express as to where the new bus stop will be located.  Maheux has already relocated to Station la Cité.
  • Parc-o-bus Robert-Guertin will be permanently closed as of August 29th.

I've written to some Gatineau city councillors pitching the idea of a stop-to-stop on-demand service in low-ridership areas of the city during late evening to alleviate concerns of near empty buses in certain areas.  I've referenced the on-demand services and equipment being used in Durham Region.  Any thoughts?

• Thanks 1

I find most times it’s from water and corrosion, either from heavy rain which we’ve had, moisture from the AC or even when the buses are parked outdoors overnight at Indy and at Laurent. It’s funny because it’s rarely a slow decline of quality. I remember years ago I had the same hybrid twice in 2 days and and the sound was like a screaming chipmunk on day 2 

4 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I find most times it’s from water and corrosion, either from heavy rain which we’ve had, moisture from the AC or even when the buses are parked outdoors overnight at Indy and at Laurent. It’s funny because it’s rarely a slow decline of quality. I remember years ago I had the same hybrid twice in 2 days and and the sound was like a screaming chipmunk on day 2 

Huh... that's interesting... at least you didn't have this Invero Bell... It was louder than it sounded.

7 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Can someone tell me how E-Bells go bad to the point of sounding terrible and acting more as a device to make you go deaf? Artics I've noticed this more on. 

7 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

It's most pronounced after the air-conditioning is turned off and the humidity returns. Vapour in the air condensates on the sound coil and sounds funny when the current is sent through it to play the sound.

• Thanks 1