Jump to content

Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion


SMS
 Share

Recommended Posts

Very good perspective from a driver. That being said, I'm hoping it's a genuine consultation and not a pony-show just for some head at OC to be like "oh, we've consulted", but curiously never release the results of said consultations.

That being said, the only stop that will be a hill  I'm willing to die on is Carling and Roseview...  That's just a giant finger to riders, especially in the any inclement, very hot or very cold weather. I've personally waited in the Tim's while I waited up to 30 minutes for an evening 85 run and during those times it was -10 to -35, it was great to have somewhere warm to wait

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Better bus stop project is coming to reality for Carling Ave... Except, their proposals are horrible! Better Bus Stops Project: Carling Avenue | OC Transpo Instead of ranting, I'll post why this is horrible with the same image they provide... (Sorry for typos - there's no spell check in photoshop!)

better-bus-stops_carling_1.pngUntitled2.thumb.png.e56046b19d5118a7620a5eb6bd786053.png

 

5657: Half-agree with you--Carling/Tavistock is a well-used stop, but removing this stop will increase the distance to a more reasonable 325 metres from Carling/Forest to Carling/Connaught.

6448: When I was an operator, I asked for the stop to be moved to the west side of Carling/Forest many times. Interestingly, unlike what you said, it will make it easier for buses on route 57 to make the three-lane change by taking advantage of the oft-changing Carling/Forest traffic lights to "hold" traffic back (during busier times of the day, the light changes much more often). It'll make the lane change less stressful and likely safer.

6449/6422: It centralises the two stops (currently 200 metres apart) to a better location. The proposed stop location is actually just west of the Carling/Richmond intersection, just as far away from the lights as 6449's current location east of the intersection. Residents of the apartment building at 415 Greenview will now have to cross Britannia Road to get to/from the stop, a modest 50 metres in extra walking distance.

5241: Hated this stop, and will probably still hate it without the bus bay.

6463: Removal of the bus bay will be nice, though I never had an issue with it, since the lights at Carling/Bayshore and Carling/Grenon changed enough to "control" the flow of traffic.

6441: Change will mean fewer stuck buses and one fewer stop to be closed in wintery weather. New stop location will be more accessible (sloped waiting areas greater than two per cent are not AODA compliant).

5243: Centralises this and stop 6441 (Carling/Grenon). Indifferent otherwise, but this stop needs to be moved if Carling/Grenon moves to its proposed location. Same bus bay comment as 6463.

5245: Good. The bus stop is currently arranged in a way that makes people walk slowly to the bus from the stop's bench. Hopefully the new stop will be better arranged (seems to have a friendlier property line). Same bus bay comment as 6463.

One small change I would like added is eastbound Carling/Pinecrest (6452). Currently, the bus bay does not safely accommodate one articulated bus without forcing it to block the north-south crosswalk or protrude into the eastbound travel lane. So either a bus bay extension with a slight relocation of the stop, or the removal of the bay altogether with no modifications to the stop's location.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DIE-CAST OC TRANSPO CLASSIC

 

 

Just a heads up Awesome Die-cast is 'sceduled" to release a OC TRANSPO Die-cast of a classic bus.

 

Here a pro-type what it may lok like:

Note this is only a pro-type and the actual one maybe slightly different. It's schedule for a summer release(June-Aug) but knowing Awesome Die-Cast the bus may be out later then that A Fall-Winter release. If I recall from my source a TTC Clasic along with other transit agencies are scheduled for the same time frame(no pics of the other buses) Prices is about $70-$80 Can depending on exchange rate

 

87-0394-1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree. I feel that creating circuitous routes or closely spaced stops so that there is a bus stop within ‘X’ metres of everyone’s front door is a mistake. (Of course, that is a person opinion.)

 

I would like to see some study of the trade-off: Is it better to stop closer to people’s doors but have very slow service; or to make people walk further to catch their bus, but have a faster ride to their destination? There must be a ‘sweet-spot’, and OC Transpo might be at that spot, but I haven’t seen the evidence from a study.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Richard Eade said:

I tend to agree. I feel that creating circuitous routes or closely spaced stops so that there is a bus stop within ‘X’ metres of everyone’s front door is a mistake. (Of course, that is a person opinion.)

 

I would like to see some study of the trade-off: Is it better to stop closer to people’s doors but have very slow service; or to make people walk further to catch their bus, but have a faster ride to their destination? There must be a ‘sweet-spot’, and OC Transpo might be at that spot, but I haven’t seen the evidence from a study.

This doesn't need a study. It needs good feedback from customers and operators.

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, sdgta2008 said:

FINALLY!!! OC Transpo is in the process of placing its data on Transsee 🎉

I wonder if anything will be done about the Ottawa Transit app, though. It's been a while (maybe a year and a half) since the app properly worked, and I used to be able to see how late or early buses were and what type of bus was running the route. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sdgta2008 said:

FINALLY!!! OC Transpo is in the process of placing its data on Transsee 🎉

OC Transpo hasn't really done anything here. The Transsee developer has simply integrated OC Transpo's existing API with their site.

5 hours ago, TransitGeek said:

I wonder if anything will be done about the Ottawa Transit app, though. It's been a while (maybe a year and a half) since the app properly worked, and I used to be able to see how late or early buses were and what type of bus was running the route. 

I don't think it's likely.

The developer used an undocumented method in the API to display the early/late status of a bus, and although it's still possible to determine that by comparing the data in the API to the schedule, I don't think the developer has any intention of developing their app further. I saw they were trying to sell off the app a while back.

As for the bus type, that's on OC Transpo. It still works here and there, but for many buses that info is no longer provided. I'm not 100% sure why, but I assume the internal migration between dispatch systems that has been ongoing is related.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed when passing by Labrosse Station, the railway tracks are torn up towards Lorrain... Are they turning the whole Corridor into a Transitway only? It's a shame too because I used to railfan there to catch the very specific trip that happened on Monday. Now it seems the train will be a thing of the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I noticed when passing by Labrosse Station, the railway tracks are torn up towards Lorrain... Are they turning the whole Corridor into a Transitway only? It's a shame too because I used to railfan there to catch the very specific trip that happened on Monday. Now it seems the train will be a thing of the past.

That's part of the Lorrain extension. Judging by this Image, The rail will be replaced once the corridor is complete.
Heres the PDF presentation (in french only)  
image.thumb.png.d4f6c3f1afb2e37f0ff95a7edda3de12.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes and I've bought one via my source.

 

Also set to be released in late summer/early fall are Classics--OC Transpo,TTC, a white blank and few more US agencies.

 

See pic below:

 

 

87-0394-1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2022 at 3:16 PM, OCCheetos said:

OC Transpo hasn't really done anything here. The Transsee developer has simply integrated OC Transpo's existing API with their site.

Have any of you tried to figure out if the vehicle numbers coming through the API actually have any meaning, similar to what the Montreal guys discovered with exo's data? (i.e. if vehicle number 12345678 matches to bus 9001 today does it match to it every day, and could that mean that 12345679 would be 9002?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Orion 1200 said:

Have any of you tried to figure out if the vehicle numbers coming through the API actually have any meaning, similar to what the Montreal guys discovered with exo's data? (i.e. if vehicle number 12345678 matches to bus 9001 today does it match to it every day, and could that mean that 12345679 would be 9002?)

OC Transpo doesn't provide any vehicle identifiers (of any kind) through their API.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, OCCheetos said:

OC Transpo doesn't provide any vehicle identifiers (of any kind) through their API.

But they used too?? They did have vehicle IDs pre 2019 which was often very accurate, at least all OC tracking apps back then until that post LRT API change...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

But they used too?? They did have vehicle IDs pre 2019 which was often very accurate, at least all OC tracking apps back then until that post LRT API change...

I'm not familiar with that. You can get the ID of a trip, but there is no relation to the vehicle that was assigned to the trip.

It gives some details about the bus like the type, length, and whether it has a bike rack but it's never been 100% accurate and it can't be used to uniquely identify a vehicle. It's also currently unable to differentiate the XE40s from other buses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

OC Transpo doesn't provide any vehicle identifiers (of any kind) through their API.

That's the way that I remember it (I haven't accessed it in a long time), but I saw vehicle numbers on Transsee and I don't know if they're coming from the API or if they're something that Transsee is generating as a placeholder for them.

image.thumb.png.41035b5549a23811ee0a64fae2c3c0ab.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Orion 1200 said:

That's the way that I remember it (I haven't accessed it in a long time), but I saw vehicle numbers on Transsee and I don't know if they're coming from the API or if they're something that Transsee is generating as a placeholder for them.

image.thumb.png.41035b5549a23811ee0a64fae2c3c0ab.png

Those numbers don't appear in any of the API methods I'm aware of (even the undocumented ones), so I would presume that they're placeholders.

The developer has also indicated that vehicle searches are not possible with OC Transpo's API, which also supports that theory.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This video is a final look at the Transitway between Tunney's Pasture and Dominion Station in its current state in 2022 prior to the closure for LRT conversion. As discussed in the other thread, Transitional Detour begins this morning at 9:30am, with ultimate Transitway Detour beginning on June 26, 2022. 

Video was taken in April 2022.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

3 nights ago, the shelter at Carling/Ritchie (Route 85) had its glass removed. 2 nights or so ago, the whole shelter was removed. @Waiting for 30 Minutes I'm sure you'd know, but has OC approved any of the stop relocations for Carling Ave.?

I'm on leave from OC Transpo for a few months, so I don't have access to my email. Based on the timelines of the Merivale and Blackburn Hamlet bus stop relocations, it seems about right, but I would confirm with someone with hard information.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weird question for y'all - do you know if the 61 and 62 interline at the Stittsville rec centre? IE 61 Stittsville ends at the rec centre and then continues down the street as a 62 Tunney's.

A friend and I noticed that both routes always seem to leave Tunney's at the same time and was wondering what the logic was since you'd think it would make sense to stagger the two Kanata-Stittsville milk runs apart from each other instead of them running in tandem at half-hour gaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wowzhao said:

Weird question for y'all - do you know if the 61 and 62 interline at the Stittsville rec centre? IE 61 Stittsville ends at the rec centre and then continues down the street as a 62 Tunney's.

A friend and I noticed that both routes always seem to leave Tunney's at the same time and was wondering what the logic was since you'd think it would make sense to stagger the two Kanata-Stittsville milk runs apart from each other instead of them running in tandem at half-hour gaps.

Don’t have the logic for them leaving around the same time, they should be staggered but aren’t. As for interlining, Sometimes yes and sometimes no it all depends on the trip times at cardelrec. At cardelrec they’re more spaced out 

edit: I had some time so 

 

15 of the 42 trips to cardelrec interline with the 62, the others either return as a 61 or go off elsewhere 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...