Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

Hey guys, I scrolled through some of the last couple pages and couldn't find what I was looking for...

Are there any plans for OC Transpo to get any new normal 40/60 footer buses? I know you guys are currently receving 2017 ADL E500s but I was curious about the fact that you guys hadn't purchased any standard single decks for the better part of 7 years. Is there no demand right now or do the new ADLs "go everywere" quite literally? 

1 minute ago, MiWay0310 said:

Hey guys, I scrolled through some of the last couple pages and couldn't find what I was looking for...

Are there any plans for OC Transpo to get any new normal 40/60 footer buses? I know you guys are currently receving 2017 ADL E500s but I was curious about the fact that you guys hadn't purchased any standard single decks for the better part of 7 years. Is there no demand right now or do the new ADLs "go everywere" quite literally? 

I don't think so, the D40is will probably been the only 40ft buses we'll have by next year. But that's okay we have over 100 double-deckers and over 300 articulated buses (The largest in Canada). And our upcoming light rail will carry as much people as our double-deckers and artics. So we already have an efficient transit system that does carry lots of people every day. 

5 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Currently, there are no plans to acquire any new 40 ft regular buses or 60 ft articulated buses. Only select Invero buses being refurbished to keep them together on the road for a few more years. Knowing they do have a lot of those buses (over 300).

The articulated buses were acquired in 2010 and still only a few years old. 

I don't think we will see any new regular bus acquisitions for at least a few years knowing the hybrid fleet will be eliminated along with not requiring as many buses. But anything can change too in the timeline. 

15 minutes ago, OCtranspo10 said:

I think at 1:30 of the video I recognize one of the board members haha 

Yep, I've seen that. @JCL possibly, considering he was on 9871 that same day, and he was recording from the same seat that you saw him in. I was just watching his 9871 video too. I'm pretty sure he went on a charter or something.

EDIT: According to his YouTube video, he was almost certainly in the same seat.

47 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Also, this video has 8952 in it, and it has a black surrounding beside the window as apposed to white.

Photo taken by Nick Hauser.

6F65A157-0A6D-4686-BE7F-1FB7BB6E81A4.jpeg

It's rear end in the video looks exactly like the photo above. Anybody know if any other Classic had this?

The video looks like it's from 1999 or 2000 since there is an Orion VI seen in the background.

8 minutes ago, Flalex72 said:

There was a discussion recently about buses that still have the old red priority seating stickers. 6352 has one on the tip in window behind the middle door. It's an odd place for a priority sticker, let alone a red one.

That was me who started that discussion. Thanks for the info. 5177, 5002, and 6352 are the three confirmed buses have them. We should make a list for buses that still have that sticker. :P

On 10/18/2017 at 3:52 PM, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Also, this video has 8952 in it, and it has a black surrounding beside the window as apposed to white.

Photo taken by Nick Hauser.

6F65A157-0A6D-4686-BE7F-1FB7BB6E81A4.jpeg

It's rear end in the video looks exactly like the photo above. Anybody know if any other Classic had this?

The photo shows at 8952 was repainted. I far as I can remember 8950 was the only classic left with the black edged rear window

8952.jpg

Just now, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

There was something called 8952.jpg when I saw your post. Did you try to post an image or something?

I did the photo is up. You're computer must have problems. 

1 hour ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Question about the new transfers: What is the four digit number on the transfer for? Could it be the fleet number of the bus? I

84B8D0F6-BDE1-447A-B651-EB4AF12FC349.jpeg

The four digit number is the bus number. In case if there is a dispute or question, they know where it is obtained from. Two letters are to make sure people aren't using old transfers (this change daily).

Barcode is for the O-Train Trillium line station turnstiles. Reason why they changed the transfers a few months ago is to ensure no obstructions (also why the centre is white).

9 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The four digit number is the bus number. In case if there is a dispute or question, they know where it is obtained from. Two letters are to make sure people aren't using old transfers (this change daily).

Barcode is for the O-Train Trillium line station turnstiles. Reason why they changed the transfers a few months ago is to ensure no obstructions (also why the centre is white).

Thanks for confirming. I don't remember that being on the older transfers from before.

4 hours ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Thanks for confirming. I don't remember that being on the older transfers from before.

There have been four-digit numbers somewhere on the transfers since OC Transpo switched to printed transfers in 1999, although I have a test transfer from 1997 that does not appear to have the number--it's hard to tell because the printing has faded on the thermal paper over the last two decades.  At first, the number appeared to be random, though I'm certain that OC had some kind of system to be able to trace the transfer back to the issuing bus, and transfers back then also had the route number and direction printed on them.  In 2006, the number switched to the bus' fleet number, and it's been that way ever since.

4 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

There have been four-digit numbers somewhere on the transfers since OC Transpo switched to printed transfers in 1999, although I have a test transfer from 1997 that does not appear to have the number--it's hard to tell because the printing has faded on the thermal paper over the last two decades.  At first, the number appeared to be random, though I'm certain that OC had some kind of system to be able to trace the transfer back to the issuing bus, and transfers back then also had the route number and direction printed on them.  In 2006, the number switched to the bus' fleet number, and it's been that way ever since.

I see, thanks for explaining.

23 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

I must make two corrections to what I wrote above.  The first is that whether the number was random or the fleet number depended on the software installed on the transfer machine as older machines continued to print the random number at least as late as 2008.  I have a transfer from my last OC Fishbowl ride in December 2006, and the number was random even though the bus I rode was 8239--I have a photo of the bus on my website.  It looks as if the non-upgraded machines were on buses that were due to be retired soon, as the fleet number transferes all appeared to be from newer buses.

The second correction is that there was no number on any of the transfers I have from between late 2011 and mid-2012.  There seemed to be some kind of software upgrade at the time and the number got left off, meaning that there was no way to trace the transfer back to its bus.  The error must have been noticed and corrected with the summer schedule change as it had reappeared by July.