Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

On 12/31/2022 at 10:50 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

Problem is OC’a routing style forever has been to cater to EVERYONE. And people nowadays are starting to hate it. For example the 168 on weekends, nobody gets off during the 161 portion yet it added 10-12 minutes to an already long commute.

I happen to. My parents live in Glen Cairn. And I'd like to see Kanata have more than one local route on weekends as the 168 is a mess on weekends, really. As they build up between Kanata and Stittsville (i.e. Blackstone, Fernbank Crossing, etc.), though, maybe they'll be more willing to add and/or re-route some routes to better serve the communities in Kanata and Stittsville.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:09 PM, OCCheetos said:

Theoretically yes, but OC Transpo's API is currently in a state of flux and that information isn't currently being published through it.

Is this why apps such as BusBuddy just shows every trip as a short bus now, when most trips I end up on are not short buses?

6 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

When the Transit Commission met today one of the slideshows showed the planned phase-out of all the bus types. Here's the screenshot. I found it to be pretty cool informationScreenshot_20230127_124942_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6f30b5ddd957fb4040dc340858a48047.jpg

Looking at the screenshot. Just over 400 buses slated for replacement by the end of 2026 alone. Between the articulated and double decker first-generation (2012) alone. That is a lot of high capacity buses that will be retired. Assuming the replacement needs aren't as large once the Confederation Line extensions are completed.

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Very interesting. So will they have E-Bus artics & E-Bus DD Buses by 2027? I dought it.

The timelines are not set in-stone. In case the charging infrastructure isn't ready, Confederation Line extensions are delayed issues with acquiring new buses. 

20 hours ago, Shaun said:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/power-outage-partially-shuts-down-o-train-service-sunday-evening-1.6251427

Did they not think of putting in backup generators? Or enough battery power to make it to the next station?

They didn't even have straps on the train overhead grab on bars for about a year. You're asking for more than they can give.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shaun said:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/power-outage-partially-shuts-down-o-train-service-sunday-evening-1.6251427

Did they not think of putting in backup generators? Or enough battery power to make it to the next station?

You need a lot of generating power to supply 1.5 kV (maybe a bit more, accounting for line loss) to several trains across 26 kilometres of wires and power the stations and its amenities. At the time the trains were procured, batteries weren't really thought of as supplementary power yet.

1 hour ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

You need a lot of generating power to supply 1.5 kV (maybe a bit more, accounting for line loss) to several trains across 26 kilometres of wires and power the stations and its amenities. At the time the trains were procured, batteries weren't really thought of as supplementary power yet.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/power-systems/electric-power/diesel-generator-sets/107842.html

A few of these could likely power the train at low speeds to the next station. Does Finch or cross town have this option? 

It's a rare event for line 1 to be shut down due to a power outage.

4 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

I'm hearing some buzzing going around on Reddit. Apparently Mark is threatening to cut the OC Transpo budget which suprise suprise, will mean cuts coming in the near future. Who couldn't have seen this coming...

It was gonna happen no matter what, so the system will only have the Barrhaven Locals, Frequent and Rapid Routes with probably every other route cut.

117 Buses (probably all the Inveros and a majority of the 8000s) are going to the scrapheap as well, apparently.

4 minutes ago, Dexter249 said:

So with the recent announcement of Cuts, what routes do we think will be cut, I'm thinking 200-299, all Local Limiteds, Local Routes in the Burbs (except Barrhaven) and the Shopper routes, and service frequencies slashed on the 75 (thanks David Hill).

1 minute ago, Loud-Invero said:

I'm hearing some buzzing going around on Reddit. Apparently Mark is threatening to cut the OC Transpo budget which suprise suprise, will mean cuts coming in the near future. Who couldn't have seen this coming...

The Budget documents are posted on the City's web site: https://pub-ottawa.escribemeetings.com/Meeting.aspx?Id=aa11cd79-044e-402b-9dff-47f95139d125&Agenda=Agenda&lang=English

The only detail that I'm aware of is the bus fleet reduction (i.e. fleet count) of 117 buses.

As for bus service cuts, I'm not aware on what the cuts will be. Maybe it is something that will be determined AFTER the budge is passed -- I'm saying this because in 2011 the Budget was passed, then Route Optimzation Proposal were presented in April 2011, and then went into affect on September 2011.

3 hours ago, Dexter249 said:

So with the recent announcement of Cuts, what routes do we think will be cut, I'm thinking 200-299, all Local Limiteds, Local Routes in the Burbs (except Barrhaven) and the Shopper routes, and service frequencies slashed on the 75 (thanks David Hill).

Why except Barrhaven?

Shopper's routes can go, and the Connexion and locals can merge and/or reorganize, sure... but Barrhaven is no more special than Kanata or Orleans is.

3 minutes ago, bsnider001 said:

Why except Barrhaven?

Shopper's routes can go, and the Connexion and locals can merge and/or reorganize, sure... but Barrhaven is no more special than Kanata or Orleans is.

The Barrhaven routes are priority used as school routes at this point, and generally have enough ridership.

1 minute ago, Dexter249 said:

The Barrhaven routes are priority used as school routes at this point, and generally have enough ridership.

Doesn't make them exempt from cuts.

That said, I think within Kanata the 161 and 164 can definitely go. The 67 could replace parts of the 161 and the 168 already serves most of Bridlewood. The 64 can go too, replaced by the 63. Connexion routes are very underused at the moment (and usually use larger capacity buses) and they can all go in my opinion or be combined with their local routes. And I dare say it I think there should be cuts to the 61 and 62, and that's if they even keep the 62.

17 minutes ago, bsnider001 said:

Doesn't make them exempt from cuts.

That said, I think within Kanata the 161 and 164 can definitely go. The 67 could replace parts of the 161 and the 168 already serves most of Bridlewood. The 64 can go too, replaced by the 63. Connexion routes are very underused at the moment (and usually use larger capacity buses) and they can all go in my opinion or be combined with their local routes. And I dare say it I think there should be cuts to the 61 and 62, and that's if they even keep the 62.

I don't see why they'd cancel the 62. They replaced D96 trips in 2015 and no way in hell would those in Tanger Outlets and those near the CTC would like to be isolated and confined to Kanata with the 162, which doesn't run on weekends anymore for a very good reason.

8 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

I don't see why they'd cancel the 62. They replaced D96 trips in 2015 and no way in hell would those in Tanger Outlets and those near the CTC would like to be isolated and confined to Kanata with the 162, which doesn't run on weekends anymore for a very good reason.

I was more speaking for the Kanata portion of the 62 along Campeau, but yes, that's valid.

I'm not sure exactly what routes will be cut or service(schedules)will be effected. But with the possiblilty of feds returning to work for 2 or 3 days a week the OC planners have to think of that to.

Also I have a feeling a OC strike might be in the future, i just got this feeling. As most city contracts are either on the last year or have just expired, and the way Mark and his Concretive buddies on council  want to save money don't be surprised if you see strike possibilities from most city departments. My department can't strike as where concerned essential personal.

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm not sure exactly what routes will be cut or service(schedules)will be effected. But with the possiblilty of feds returning to work for 2 or 3 days a week the OC planners have to think of that to.

Also I have a feeling a OC strike might be in the future, i just got this feeling. As most city contracts are either on the last year or have just expired, and the way Mark and his Concretive buddies on council  want to save money don't be surprised if you see strike possibilities from most city departments. My department can't strike as where concerned essential personal.

There is a 5-year contract ratified by City Council in 2020. Expires on March 31 2025. 

Unless it's a wildcat strike, there will be no strikes in the immediate near future. 

2 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

And with stuff like this people wonder why everyone likes to take the car instead. I don't think important Orleans routes like the 25, 30, 34, 35, 38, 39 & 131 would get cut. Probably the 31, 32, 33, 37, 138 and 139

OC Transpo staff is just simply doing what the political masters want. 

There was a choice in October 2022 during the municipal election that would improve transit, and people chose the current Mayor. Can't do much until 2026. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JCL said:

There is a 5-year contract ratified by City Council in 2020. Expires on March 31 2025. 

Unless it's a wildcat strike, there will be no strikes in the immediate near future. 

OC Transpo staff is just simply doing what the political masters want. 

There was a choice in October 2022 during the municipal election that would improve transit, and people chose the current Mayor. Can't do much until 2026. 

And it won't change in 2026 due to amalgamation, Ottawa as a city is doomed unless we get rid of the rural bits.