Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

2 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Tons of little Easter eggs of things wrong with our schedules, maps and flags… it’s a fun little game 

True. Especially some that go unnoticed for several years too. I remember how Terrasses de la Chaudière 10 years ago had a Route 8 map dating back to 1996 which there were very minimal changes in roughly 15 years (spotted in 2012).

40 minutes ago, OCCheetos said:

icA2kuqqfukIAxhazu5aw4xYssJN-1zGi6IZATi5ODQCE3GZXpbBxuG-ggbv2upiuC3Oy3_czFcEm6nfhjrf_Eezedjbo9Ad1960R3fYJB-ARLpl-CqbTu_NhF11_vylKsljPA-dlqto1bkKt-6IcljqZkmjAeZ8Yeg-0pnFY_I9CVs_Jf5MGU8gvIRknCBAyfEb-6G56fT9CSuacXrQw--sBETo--Ga1qjhKUMGE2DdL2qhiWQ4XizPAJjjDJ9JRoN-rM1ipplbE6VSPt2yUKEzPOL4qq-ZVOlgTkUtkwdHjN4KDZW_N9t-Z1PMLZqXfuOqvWKn88QCl8Iy2OtGw4_8mbjpgYpyWlNgEjfLj5mDJByMUZXcG1R7sX9-Xoxrq8f_88-nsDOzzqB9ILea3ul_bUrYDg3Dm4qyG-uiThGqKyENJEasajR-1aLQWhVKcypBZbPoGE_LIALGu0xommlcKa4QPqtbyRtf7NdsazJMeuMgnJK7HIe3CxFda4zVB5VKT-Oe8Q-IIMq_5VBMMyQg0lq6IKhYL8jTSdoo4QyecjXfUBUOoeZ2-hs2F0PRzcllLI0IBlEmFuqhI-b159fmB-fpwcGmAd792JnplGFHfK9CiVm4T6Amd64hVV2didyk_OLr87mvMyZpgi-In274zf9xNbGpD7wMpurJHd1wqOZG-Z5SNrT09_QdX_i3o7FBud69yIHx1UlQdo9SZNbW1VChwybkhtQC8Cxq0sDFbNIv82KKJfYYQZPFvv2J65tzuvGinlb0f6p-RSyXgSnLaD4eZ6Nc8So5am1Hjg1SOR-DLAdp5zFrYDeQf5lg-f8tp_t8HtWBOYNNnSdnCn1ljd08V_oHHI8Ceo4PbXaHgQ0fjoEjNG5EvqzdYQg6t1umItoT1iZicN5kfLF5d0JqCgrZlkUulVaAuBSM10_BW7x-Cg=w973-h1297-no?authuser=0

I don't know if the 11 schedules still look like this or not, but it was a fun game of "spot the one without the 'v'" while waiting for a bus last year.

Checked the online schedule via website and it still has the "v" beside each departure going eastbound to Laurier.

You would think they simply would change the destination on the 11 eastbound to 11 Laurier on their schedules by now since all trips service Mackenzie King Bridge to better connect with Rideau Centre compared to when it was first extended with a few select trips. 

I'm not sure if this is a "test" or there going this route, but I was on the 46 this late afternoon on 46 Billings on bus 4821  I notice there was a large review mirror mounted on the upper right corner of the bus inside.

I'm not sure as to why they had the mirror there but from the drivers postion you could see the entire interior of the bus from the front door all the way back to the rear of the bus.

Id this something new?

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm not sure if this is a "test" or there going this route, but I was on the 46 this late afternoon on 46 Billings on bus 4821  I notice there was a large review mirror mounted on the upper right corner of the bus inside.

I'm not sure as to why they had the mirror there but from the drivers postion you could see the entire interior of the bus from the front door all the way back to the rear of the bus.

Id this something new?

The mirror was added to help operators see the driver-side of the interior. Previously, the driver side was already difficult to see with the mirror's default location, and made even more difficult with the operator shield added.

Well where in for another wicked storm late tonight into Friday Saturday. At least schools are closed so no school runs, which frees up buses for other runs. I know there be a lot of canceled trips tommorrow, delayed trips as such, so it's going to be "PATIENS PATIENS" your bus will eventually come, just when? According to the news OC is going to have the LRT running all night(non-service)after it shuts down for the night supposely to keep the tracks clear of snow and IU'm guessing the over head wires clear of snow & ice.

Took a stroll through my old neighborhood where the 154 used to operate in Queensway Terrance. Anywho, I noticed this on both Route 154 and 155 bus stops. Seems like service will be indirectly cancelled entirely on the 2 routes once the winter storm schedule is triggered. Apologies about the quality. My camera lens is cracked from my pipe job - it literally has a hole in it, covered by tape <_<

20221230_202308.jpg

3 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Took a stroll through my old neighborhood where the 154 used to operate in Queensway Terrance. Anywho, I noticed this on both Route 154 and 155 bus stops. Seems like service will be indirectly cancelled entirely on the 2 routes once the winter storm schedule is triggered. Apologies about the quality. My camera lens is cracked from my pipe job - it literally has a hole in it, covered by tape <_<

20221230_202308.jpg

Hopefully those along the route are signed up for service alerts. Especially when they give 24 hours notice if the severe winter storm schedule is activated. 

I don't think anyone will want to wait at the bus stop not realizing that select routes and stops are cancelled.

19 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Hopefully those along the route are signed up for service alerts. Especially when they give 24 hours notice if the severe winter storm schedule is activated. 

I don't think anyone will want to wait at the bus stop not realizing that select routes and stops are cancelled.

I wouldn’t worry too much, there aren’t any trips anymore that matter let alone pick up people 

154 Lincoln: 4 trips 

154 pinecrest: 1 trip

155 Bayshore: 3 trips 

155 pinecrest: 2 trips 

I’d hope with pinecrest station lrt that their will be a linear route along greenbank that could have branched trips deviate to the neighbourhood but I’m being optimistic 

I mean even under Mark, I think we can get the 173 to travel Bayshore via Greenbank and Richmond instead of through DuMaurier. Why Jimbo decided to run the 172 and 173 parallel after Greenbank/Banner the whole way to Bayshore is beyond me, but there's certainly room for improvement that can be done with the confines of "tackling that OC debt".

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

I mean even under Mark, I think we can get the 173 to travel Bayshore via Greenbank and Richmond instead of through DuMaurier. Why Jimbo decided to run the 172 and 173 parallel after Greenbank/Banner the whole way to Bayshore is beyond me, but there's certainly room for improvement that can be done with the confines of "tackling that OC debt".

Problem is OC’a routing style forever has been to cater to EVERYONE. And people nowadays are starting to hate it. For example the 168 on weekends, nobody gets off during the 161 portion yet it added 10-12 minutes to an already long commute. 

when stage 2 is complete we should embrace a ttc style network while complimenting our local streets. Grid systems work incredibly well, and people will be willing to walk an extra 5-10 minutes if it means a bus shows up every 10. 

1 hour ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Problem is OC’a routing style forever has been to cater to EVERYONE. And people nowadays are starting to hate it. For example the 168 on weekends, nobody gets off during the 161 portion yet it added 10-12 minutes to an already long commute. 

when stage 2 is complete we should embrace a ttc style network while complimenting our local streets. Grid systems work incredibly well, and people will be willing to walk an extra 5-10 minutes if it means a bus shows up every 10. 

This, plus instead of axing the 74/75/39, extend those routes, with the 74 going from Baseline to Limebank 75 following the routing of the 305 from Baseline (all the way to North Gower) and the 39 replacing Clarence Rockland Transpo entirely (as it will likely already shut down when Trim opens)

8 hours ago, Dexter249 said:

This, plus instead of axing the 74/75/39, extend those routes, with the 74 going from Baseline to Limebank 75 following the routing of the 305 from Baseline (all the way to North Gower) and the 39 replacing Clarence Rockland Transpo entirely (as it will likely already shut down when Trim opens)

CRT no longer exists ( the branding was removed a few years ago along with the Lfs Suburbians)  

As for the 74 ( if the 74 is reinstated to the pre pandemic routing) would more than likely be extended to ether the Limebank Stn or Bowesville Station on line 2 (when or after they open). 

As for the 75, I don't see much demand for a Rapid transit route to North Gower. Though i could see some demand for limited all day service to Manotick  (once the area south of Cambrian builds up.)  

10 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I will have to push back on your statement on the portion that I'm highlighting in red. And bear with me on the long-winded reply:

Grid bus route network work if the road networks were developed in a grid as well (which would enable bus routes to operate mostly in a line north-south, or east-west), and people can easily get to the nearest bus stop for the nearest bus service. However in the suburbs, especially those outside of the NCC Greenbelt, the road networks in a "spaghetti" style -- in my opinion, this makes it tricky when developing local bus routes that is efficient and yet doesn't impact people's walking distance to the nearest bus stop. 

Longer walking distances is fine if you are an average healthy person. But longer walking distance is an issue if a) you have mobility issues/you are a senior; b) inclement weather; c) weather seasons (extreme hot weather during the summer or extreme cold weather during the winter). Longer walking distance to the nearest bus stop is also an issue when OC is trying to attract people who have a choice between driving their car and taking the bus. 

Walking distance needs to be reasonable, but not long (or unreasonably long). 

Currently this the current City Council approved service design guidelines from a 2005 Staff Report (this link). The policy is:

• 95% of the population are within a 800 metre walking distance/10 minute walk during off-peak
  • 95% of the population are within a 400 metre walking distance/5 minute walk during peak periods

When the 2011 Route Optimization went into affect in September 2011 (after it was approved in April 2011, link to staff report), many bus service that was in place were restructured to comply with those Council-approved service design guidelines that were previously approved years ago (they cite that service exceeded the Council approved service design guidelines). There were service cuts, service removals, and rerouting of bus routes. Those affected by the service removal were required to walk longer distance to the nearest bus service compared to what the service was before Route Optimization. 

In my opinion, I already disagree with the exiting policy for off-peak service (a standard of 800 m/10 minute walk for 95% of the population). Any further changes in the future (should that occur) to the service design guideline policy to further increase walking distance simply invites more service cuts/removals in order to be compliant. 

Here is an example: I live in the Orleans-Fallingbrook area of Ottawa. My current two local bus routes are Routes 33 (the old 120/20A route) and 131. If hypothetically City Council were to adopt a revised service design guidelines to further increase walking distance from today's standard, and potentially remove service on Princess Louise Drive as a result of those revised guidelines -- yes, the route would be more efficient, more direct, and requires less time to complete. However it would impact people like myself due to longer walking distance as a result of the service removal. People like me might stop using transit. 

This the challenge when it comes to bus routes in the suburbs outside of the Greenbelt: On one hand you want the service to be efficient, but on the other hand you can't have people walk further for the nearest bus service. 

• Like 6

A OC Transpo's Bus Drivers Typical Days Work?

I'm just curious as to what it's like to be a OC Transpo bus driver?

Like:

• What do you do when you first get in to work?
  • What's the process of getting your work schedule?
  • How are you assigned your bus for the day? What do you do?
  • What happens if your bus breaks down? What happens?
  • Is there a difference(process)between getting your bus at the garage vs on the street/Station? How do you know which bus is yours for a shift change and what do you do?
  • How do you handle unruly passengrs or fare disputes(Yes I know this my vary from driver to driver)but in your experience?

I've always wonder how it would be like to be a OC Driver. Unfortunately due to my visual disability this will never happen

Although before my visual disability got as it is now, I did get a chance to drive one of the Ikarus-Orions back when the OC Bus Rodeo was held at Lansdown I think was 1990's? ? In any rate it was fun. You payed $2(at the time which went to CHEO) you drove the bus in a figure 8, there was I think a driver or trainer next to you tell you what to do.

So I'm not a bus operator but have answers to your question.

55 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:
  • What do you do when you first get in to work?

Depends on where you start your shift (either at the garage or on the street)

If the operators start the work shift at the garage, the operator reports to the garage location at the scheduled time, and take the bus out of the garage accordingly

If the operator start the work shift on the street, they operator reports to the location at the scheduled time and wait for the bus to arrive before relieving the operator (taking over the bus). 

• What's the process of getting your work schedule?

Bus operator pick their work shifts four times a year. They pick work in order of seniority. The process of selecting work shift is called Booking. 

Because a lot of details about the Booking process that are not public knowledge, so I will not elaborate any further on this topic (it's an HR issue). 

• How are you assigned your bus for the day? What do you do?

I'm assuming you are referring to bus operator starting their work shift at the garage and how they pickup their bus.

The operator start report to the garage at their scheduled time. The operator will then contact "The Bus Placer" (a garage personnel) and assign the bus according to the bus type determined by the Planning department. Once the operator gets the assigned bus, the operator must do a "circle check" and inspect the bus to see if it is safe to be on the road. Once that completes, the operator will go to their first scheduled location to start their assigned bus route. 

• What happens if your bus breaks down? What happens?

Call Transit Supervisor at Transit Control on the radio, and follow the Supervisor's instructions. 

If it's a serious mechanical issue with the bus (serious safety issue, and/or a "no-go" condition), it's a Code 4; if it's a minor issue (with no safety issue), it's a Code 5.

• Is there a difference(process)between getting your bus at the garage vs on the street/Station? How do you know which bus is yours for a shift change and what do you do?

There is really no difference other than how the work shift is setup by management (RE: getting your bus at the garage vs. on the street).

If the operator is starting their work shift on the street/station, the operator is to look up their schedule on what route and time that bus is suppose to arrive based on its run number, and look for that bus with that run number to arrive at the schedule location specified when starting their shift. 

• How do you handle unruly passengrs or fare disputes(Yes I know this my vary from driver to driver)but in your experience?

Call Transit Supervisor at Transit Control on the radio, and follow the Supervisor's instructions on what to do.

• Like 1

@Kashiwazaki posted in the Paper Bus thread that Paperdiorama.com have created OC Transpo 8222, the ex-HSR GM Artic TA60102N from 1982:

GM ARTIC BUS TA60-102N - Paper model 1/87 (H0 SCALE) - Paperdiorama - Donwload Free Paper Model

I have just two quibbles with the description.  The first is that it says the bus is an OC Transpo bus from Toronto :blink:.  The other is that is says that "Canadian operators were enthralled with the performance of the artics..."  Perhaps, but certainly not with their reliability, as the TTC got rid of theirs in 1986 and OC Transpo in 1987 and replaced them with the disastrous Orion III/Ikarus 286 :rolleyes:.

23 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

@Kashiwazaki posted in the Paper Bus thread that Paperdiorama.com have created OC Transpo 8222, the ex-HSR GM Artic TA60102N from 1982:

GM ARTIC BUS TA60-102N - Paper model 1/87 (H0 SCALE) - Paperdiorama - Donwload Free Paper Model

I have just two quibbles with the description.  The first is that it says the bus is an OC Transpo bus from Toronto :blink:.  The other is that is says that "Canadian operators were enthralled with the performance of the artics..."  Perhaps, but certainly not with their reliability, as the TTC got rid of theirs in 1986 and OC Transpo in 1987 and replaced them with the disastrous Orion III/Ikarus 286 :rolleyes:.

Well, that's not my page, I just linked it on that thread as-is.

Everything else is you guys' knowledge kicking in.

I guess all OC Transpo buses we could imagine of was already made and uploaded on the Paperbus Thread anyway, so it wouldn't be useful to make any more models, I guess.

• Thanks 1

Aha! I knew it. In September 2004 OC transport tried a new paper type to print their schedules on. They decide to use salmon coloured paper. Not sure how long they used it for but this explains why I saw such a colour on schedules from photos in the past. https://web.archive.org/web/20040811115104/http://octranspo.com/What's New/SignsOfChange_menuE.htm

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 4:21 PM, CanadianBrick1 said:

I don't know if this has been asked already but is there a way to see what type of bus is on the trip in Transsee or the open data? I haven't been able to find anything like that just trip numbers, etc.

Theoretically yes, but OC Transpo's API is currently in a state of flux and that information isn't currently being published through it.