Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

On 1/25/2019 at 7:47 PM, corynv said:

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=rechargement&L=en you can go here for a list of places that sell tickets (also if you're in ottawa, depending on how much oyu're planning on using transit, you can get a multi day pass from OC Transpo, they do work on STO, believe they have 3, 5, and 7 day passes).

Interesting, the OC Transpo day passes are slightly more expensive than STO day passes even though they are both valid on each others' networks.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, Oc4526 said:

The Octranspo  Multi day passes can only be purchased from Carling, Carleton, Mooneys bay & Greenboro Stations.

The Sto also sells multi day passes. Which are valid on Octranspo.

They can be bought from Stn De La Cité. 

You can buy an #octranspo day pass with your Presto card (do note that you will receive a paper version) this will be valid on the Sto 

Maybe I will try that. But La Cité is a bit out of the way for me, I am staying in Île-de-Hull. The STO website is down right now so I can't see if this is a vending machine at La Cité or if I have to be there within certain hours at a ticket counter.

2 minutes ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Maybe I will try that. But La Cité is a bit out of the way for me, I am staying in Île-de-Hull. The STO website is down right now so I can't see if this is a vending machine at La Cité or if I have to be there within certain hours at a ticket counter.

There are no vending machines for STO things currently. All our hour based. 

Also it mainly has to do with the provinces. Like the monthly pass for STO is just under 100 (97 or 98 i believe) while OC Transpo is 116 a month. Though for STO you need to be a gatineau resident (Photo ID pass). It's just the way the systems work. All passes (day, multi day, monthly) and transfers work on the other system. Just not tickets and eWallets from the different cards.

4 minutes ago, corynv said:

There are no vending machines for STO things currently. All our hour based. 

Also it mainly has to do with the provinces. Like the monthly pass for STO is just under 100 (97 or 98 i believe) while OC Transpo is 116 a month. Though for STO you need to be a gatineau resident (Photo ID pass). It's just the way the systems work. All passes (day, multi day, monthly) and transfers work on the other system. Just not tickets and eWallets from the different cards.

I think I will just keep it simple then ; from the VIA Station, use my PRESTO e-purse to get on OC Transpo to downtown, and then use my transfer to STO to get to Hull. If I want to go out for supper or for a drink I will try and do that within walking distance of my hotel. Then the next day, for the one return trip that I do have to complete on the Quebec side,  I will just pay the cash fare on STO or at worst use Uber.

I wish they could simply mail a Multi smart card to my house like PRESTO was able to do!

1 hour ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

I think I will just keep it simple then ; from the VIA Station, use my PRESTO e-purse to get on OC Transpo to downtown, and then use my transfer to STO to get to Hull. If I want to go out for supper or for a drink I will try and do that within walking distance of my hotel. Then the next day, for the one return trip that I do have to complete on the Quebec side,  I will just pay the cash fare on STO or at worst use Uber.

I wish they could simply mail a Multi smart card to my house like PRESTO was able to do!

You can't tap a multi smart card and use it on OC Transpo unless it has a pass loaded on it or it was recently tapped on STO (within the past 2 hours)

1 hour ago, CanadaGoose said:

You can't tap a multi smart card and use it on OC Transpo unless it has a pass loaded on it or it was recently tapped on STO (within the past 2 hours)

Or if he just has a presto and as long as he has cash on that Presto and taps, electronic transfer he has on the card from OC Transpo will be valid on the sto. If you have cash on your Presto but didn't tap before to get a transfer on OC Transpo, then STO will not accept it. Recap: If you an electronic transfer from OC then you're good. STO cash fare is $4 btw...

6 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

Why wait until now to post sensationalist crap from a downmarket newspaper that was first published two weeks ago? 

22 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Also, I already did post this when this crap first came out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Interesting, the OC Transpo day passes are slightly more expensive than STO day passes even though they are both valid on each others' networks.

I'm guessing your staying at ether the Best Western/Crown Plaza  the 44 (#octranspo)  is a short walk from both however the 44 doesn't go to the Museum late at night and there's very limited Sto Service that passes the Best Western. 

If your close to the Crown Plaza you'll have multiple buses to chose from. (Both Oc and Sto)

Hope you enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

Does anybody know what kind of ridership the rural shopper routes get? I’m sure it varies route to route, but I’m just curious how many people rely or benefit from this service.

I just took the 301 to Richmond today to take my Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course at "That Hunting Store". Only 2 people.

Interesting also, these 300 routes act like route R2 where they'll provide limited service on roads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I just heard on the new hot 89.9 in there traffic report that there are apparently two collisions which involve a "bus". Are they OC buses?

One of them for sure didn't involve OC. It was a school bus and a vehicle on Erindale near Baseline. Blocked a 50 Lincoln Fields and a 50 Tunney's Pasture simultaneously. Not sure about the other one.

• Thanks 2

For anyone interested, Google Maps has just recently updated their satellite imagery to images taken in 2018. You can now see the full Confederation Line with all stations built as well as a few trains (such as 1122 at Tunney's and a couple near Belfast Yard).

In the side menu on Google Maps you have to make sure "Globe" is turned off in order to see the new imagery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone noticed that the destination line for the 18 Parliament on the next-stop display inside the bus seems to have been converted to sentence case now? (i.e. 18 Parliament/Parlement instead of 18 PARLIAMENT) I usually don't take the 18 going the other way so I don't know if this has been changed for the St-Laurent direction as well.

Looks like they've done this entirely now for the 18 (regardless of the bus) but not for any other routes. Anyone know if they're testing the lowercase on the route or if this was a coding bug?