Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

14 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

According to the map for Hurdman Stn "A" will be the night stop.

Yes, and stop "B," the off-only stop will overflow back into "A" at peak hours. This is a change from the initial setup, which had stop "A" in the construction area and "B" through "D" in service. These stops will all be relabeled, so "B" becomes "C", etc.

• Like 1

Are all of the Rapibus logo and people's faces removed from all the STO 12XX & 13XX Artics?

Because I've done my usual bus spotting downtown a few days ago and hadn't seen a single unit still with them.

All they have now is just green and blue stripes and they've also removed them from the rear passenger windows and the rear window at the back of the bus.

39 minutes ago, OCCheetos said:

It's impressive how fast they managed to install all of those ticket machines on the Confederation Line while the ones on the South Eastern Transitway have been installed but non-operational for the last three months... ?

Is it possible (for whatever stupid reason) they're waiting for the line to open to fully activate the SE ones?

1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Looks like OC is switching to Darth Vader helmet looking lights at Greensboro for the O-Train very soon.

20181112_145827.jpg

It's slightly more than a switch. More like an upgrade of the entire signal system. They have several new signal posts that aren't replacing anything and are entirely new.

• Thanks 1

A question for the operators on this board:

Recently on Reddit there was a discussion on articulated buses in snow and someone brought up the notion of an automatic lockout switch that disables the bus if it is in danger of jackknifing (or more like folding itself in half) and can only be re-enabled if a supervisor is present. Is there any truth to that?

46 minutes ago, OCCheetos said:

Recently on Reddit there was a discussion on articulated buses in snow and someone brought up the notion of an automatic lockout switch that disables the bus if it is in danger of jackknifing (or more like folding itself in half) and can only be re-enabled if a supervisor is present. Is there any truth to that?

If it’s anything like Toronto’s, yes.

you guys have flyers, but it’s still a Hubner joint, so I think the override switch would be basically the same. TTC seals theirs with a lock wire, not sure what OC does.

1 hour ago, OCCheetos said:

I just read the posts on Reddit. If the articulated bus does bend too much of an angle in the turn, the bus will lock itself out.

There is an override switch located behind the front destination sign panel (i.e. one has to unscrew the destination sign panel, open the panel, in order to access the override switch). The reason why a Supervisor needs to be present because technically operators aren't suppose to actually know about this override switch to unlock the bus when the bus has been bent too much - it is obvious that some operators know about it and some don't.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Food Drive

Here are the results from John Manconi(via city network e-mail)

Dear colleagues,

This year’s 34th Annual OC Transpo/Loblaw Christmas Food Drive was another outstanding success.

The results are in and we delivered a total of 121,038 non-perishable items and $38,400 in cash and food vouchers – an incredible testimony to your generosity for this year’s food drive to help those in need.

I know that many were involved in making this year’s food drive a success, and many more donated non-perishable food items, made a monetary donation, and volunteered at a store location this past Saturday. To all of you, I thank you for your kind-heartedness and generosity.

Please remember that the Ottawa Food Bank is always looking for donations. While the OC Transpo/Loblaw Christmas Food Drive has come to an end, the season of giving still continues. Please visit www.ottawafoodbank.ca/ for more information.

Thank you again, and happy holidays!

Sincerely,

John Manconi