Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

7 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

I recently found out that 9201 was in operation for Kitchener Transit for a bit. Does anyone know why it got sent out? I remember that OC sent six Classics out to Laval to borrow for a few months back in 2007.

EDIT: I originally linked a thread, however, it doesn't seem to be showing up.

Iirc Octranspo 9201 was a equal trade for Kitchener Transit 9201 (a D40LF) 

for a Low Floor trial. 

Garage Bus Pick-up /Return/Placement?

Question?

I'm just curious, when a driver goes and starts his or her route and picks up his or her bus from the garage their out of, what's the process of picking up their bus from the garage? What bus type? Which Bus row? etc?

Also what's the process when returning to the garage after you finish your  routes, what is done to bring the bus back to its resting spot overnight?

54 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Garage Bus Pick-up /Return/Placement?

Question?

I'm just curious, when a driver goes and starts his or her route and picks up his or her bus from the garage their out of, what's the process of picking up their bus from the garage? What bus type? Which Bus row? etc?

Also what's the process when returning to the garage after you finish your  routes, what is done to bring the bus back to its resting spot overnight?

The operator will call the starter/placer, give their run number and receive a bus. Bus type is on the docket and in the starter/placer computer. Upon returning to the depot, the placer will tell the operator where to park. If no bus is avaliable of the type required, another bus is assigned.

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2018 at 10:39 PM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Complaints from passengers it was too powerful, I believe. People falling over.

Someone had mentioned to me that they modified the powertrain setting in order to save fuel. 

On 3/31/2018 at 8:44 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

So I see that OC has modified the powertrain settings on the hybrids back in 2010-2011. Anybody know why this is?

I prefer the newer setting sound better.

I actually preferred the sound of the original powertrain setting: I liked that higher pitch revving sound as the bus was braking/decelerating. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JCL said:

I actually preferred the sound of the original powertrain setting: I liked that higher pitch revving sound as the bus was braking/decelerating. 

I actually thought that I had just gotten so used to the noise that I didn't hear it anymore. Is the noise really gone? I could swear it's still somewhat audible.

I do agree though. It's a good sound.

On April 8, 2018 at 6:23 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Question about OC's old fishbowls, specifically the 81xx/82xx buses. The wiki says that they were delivered around the same time. 

Were the 1982s actually 1981s? Or were the 81xx buses 1981s and the 82xx buses 1982s as I previously thought?

According to the production lists I've seen, including the one in the wiki, OC Transpo's 81xx and 82xx 40' buses were 1982 buses delivered in late 1981.  In fact all of the buses were in a single serial number sequence, starting with 8101 to 8122, then 8240, then 8231 to 8239.

Something to keep in mind is that the model years run from September to August, and the VIN reflects this.

22 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

According to the production lists I've seen, including the one in the wiki, OC Transpo's 81xx and 82xx 40' buses were 1982 buses delivered in late 1981.  In fact all of the buses were in a single serial number sequence, starting with 8101 to 8122, then 8240, then 8231 to 8239. Billion 

Something to keep in mind is that the model years run from September to August, and the VIN reflects this.

Thanks a lot. I wonder why they just didn't number them 8201-8232 or 8101-8132 instead of using both 81xx and 82xx.

Does anyone have a photo/higher resolution photo of what the stickers on STO's front doors said on the classics? *or knew what it said* I've always seen it on the 92XX (more specifically 9204 and 9216)  but I've never cared to read other than the large bold word "DANGER". 

20180410_082709.jpg

Also, does anyone know what this sticker meant? It was only on 9117 from my observations.

20180410_083101.jpg

1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Does anyone have a photo/higher resolution photo of what the stickers on STO's front doors said on the classics? *or knew what it said* I've always seen it on the 92XX (more specifically 9204 and 9216)  but I've never cared to read other than the large bold word "DANGER". 

20180410_082709.jpg

Also, does anyone know what this sticker meant? It was only on 9117 from my observations.

20180410_083101.jpg

if i remember correctly. Only board at marked stops.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Never noticed this before, but are the temporary bus stop stands old wheel rims? You can see what looks like an old air spout at the bottom of the rim.

6CD9F583-5A68-437F-A28E-562D1005FD1E.thumb.jpeg.c3b44696a320dca970755e42e995ba4a.jpeg

-Charlie

Looks a whole lot like the wheel to this fishbowl...31B12D21-92BB-4F29-A4EB-8A6713983C9D.thumb.jpeg.91af2095c0349154ebce1d06ff8ad6da.jpeg

Not my photo, just found it on google images off of Wikipedia.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Never noticed this before, but are the temporary bus stop stands old wheel rims? You can see what looks like an old air spout at the bottom of the rim.

6CD9F583-5A68-437F-A28E-562D1005FD1E.thumb.jpeg.c3b44696a320dca970755e42e995ba4a.jpeg

-Charlie

18 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Looks a whole lot like the wheel to this fishbowl...

Yes, the temporary stop stands are old wheel rims.  No, this rim did not come from a Fishbowl.  Fishbowl rims had only five holes in them, so this might be a low-floor rim:

OC7905.JPG

OC4282.jpg

• Like 1

Quick question for operators who work AM eastbound connexion routes (from Kanata, Barrhaven, etc. To Mack Bridge)

For those who drive the 270's have you been told to now pick up passengers at Baseline in the AM instead only dropping them  off at the good old "Off Only" sign?

And for those you operate the 250's, and 260's, have you been told to now to only allow passengers off at Pinecrest in the AM instead of the good old full service it had since Sept 6th, 2009?

I'm just wondering because obviously the last service change makes it appear that Baseline is now full service whereas Pinecrest is now off only am and no service pm according to system maps

10 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Quick question for operators who work AM eastbound connexion routes (from Kanata, Barrhaven, etc. To Mack Bridge)

For those who drive the 270's have you been told to now pick up passengers at Baseline in the AM instead only dropping them  off at the good old "Off Only" sign?

And for those you operate the 250's, and 260's, have you been told to now to only allow passengers off at Pinecrest in the AM instead of the good old full service it had since Sept 6th, 2009?

I'm just wondering because obviously the last service change makes it appear that Baseline is now full service whereas Pinecrest is now off only am and no service pm according to system maps

Customer point of view. 
My understanding has always been, (Which was confirmed by Octranspo when the new Connection routing was introduced )
People were allowed to board a Connection bus in the am only if the bus had people getting off. 
With 0 Drop off's/Pick up's west of Tunney's in the afternoon.
(this is to prevent Local Pax only going a few stops along the West Transitway west of Tunney's Pasture (except for route 283 )  when the Express fare's were discontinued) 
For routes coming from Orleans there's only 2 off on request stops in the morning and they are at Blair & St Laurent  (passengers can board only if the bus is letting people off.)
Theres NO Stops between Laurier Stn / Orleans in the PM

@Enviro_1203 or @Waiting for 30 Minutes can correct me if my understanding is off/mistaken 

25 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Customer point of view. 
My understanding has always been, (Which was confirmed by Octranspo when the new Connection routing was introduced )
People were allowed to board a Connection bus in the am only if the bus had people getting off. 
With 0 Drop off's/Pick up's west of Tunney's in the afternoon.
(this is to prevent Local Pax only going a few stops along the West Transitway west of Tunney's Pasture (except for route 283 )  when the Express fare's were discontinued) 
For routes coming from Orleans there's only 2 off on request stops in the morning and they are at Blair & St Laurent  (passengers can board only if the bus is letting people off.)
Theres NO Stops between Laurier Stn / Orleans in the PM

@Enviro_1203 or @Waiting for 30 Minutes can correct me if my understanding is off/mistaken 

Alright thank you. And it's the 282 that's full service westbound in the PM, 283 is only available at Lincoln Fields in the PM for people who work at the Services Canada Centre at Lincoln Fields Mall.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Alright thank you. And it's the 282 that's full service westbound in the PM, 283 is only available at Lincoln Fields in the PM for people who work at the Services Canada Centre at Lincoln Fields Mall.

Thanks for clairifying 

I was unaware the 282 was full service in the pm. 

• Like 1