The definitive book of Montreal buses is now out

SMS

The STM issued a press release yesterday for the opening of the Boutique STM in French only here: http://stm.info/en/press/press-releases/2019/100-ans-de-bus-a-montreal----un-livre--un-balado--une-boutique-et-des-portes-ouvertes---french-only-

Very soon, the book will be available for sale online through the website. I looked a few minutes ago, but it was a dead link. One of the authors will inform me which select bookstores will carry the publication, as I want my alma mater McGill to have a copy. 

Here are the details of the book...

Authors: Benoît Clairoux, Jaysen Constantineau, Robert Lacombe, Jean-François Lacourse

Title: 100 ans de bus à Montréal

ISBN: 978-2-9804700-1-1

Published in Montreal by Regroupement loisir et sport du Québec, 2019.

Do not be intimidated that the book was only published in French. It is 500 pages long and has 1400 photos and illustrations.

• Like 2

Benoît confirmed to me that other select book stores will carry the publication. Boutique STM will not have a monopoly on this! The various "amical" at garages will also offer the book to interested STM employees.

10 hours ago, webfil said:

They had less than 500 copies available online.

image.thumb.png.f831d8c79a924dd38e151842efa2fb72.png

Lots were sold during the launch of the book (which coincided with the launch of the physical store of the Boutique STM). This was only the first batch, more will be coming once printed. Interesting story, the books only arrived 1 hour before the launch party, there was worry that they would not get there in time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My copy has arrived. I'm very impressed. Lots of great pictures and lots of interesting "side bar" stories like a picture history of bus stop signs, and another on ancillary vehicles.

Spotted one typo though, the early 1970s Flyers are described as model F-700A when they should be D-700A...

And I haven't found the caption for the pictures on page 39... I think it was accidentally omitted.

Edited by DavidW

Got my copy earlier this week. A few tidbits that didn't make it into the book:

• Montreal was the only taker for the CanCar Brill C40 and CD40, 50 of each. Likewise Montreal-based Provincial Transport Company was the only taker for the suburban IUCD40, again 50. All were TC models, for torque converter; that was omitted (standards were ST). The A suffix was for a steel frame vs. the earlier aluminum one.
  • The date of 94-Frontenac's conversion to trolleybuses - June 22, 1952 - was omitted.
  • For the TD51s, it was never explained why they were less reliable than their predecessors. Mostly engine-related issues, plus being underpowered, with heavy steering, poor brakes, and poor heaters.
  • For the second order of fishbowls: The 3 amber/red roof lights added were not referred to by their common term "Michigan markers".
  • No more than a brief mention, in a photo caption, of the old transfer boxes.
  • Laval's parallel service to CTCUM's Mirabel Aeroservice was omitted. That ran 1975-82, from then-CTL's Henri-Bourassa terminal, using 12 Prévost Champions. It made several stops in Laval, and one in each of Rosemère and Ste. Thérèse, en route to/from YMX. 
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...