19 Inch LCD Monitor

Orion V

I'm looking to buy one soon and want to see people's opinion on which of the following brand is the best in overall and best in colours.

Samsung

LG

ViewSonic

NEC

HP

Also, when I'm buying one, what are the obvious stats that I should look at? Eg. response time, contrast ratio, etc.

Thanks.

My dad just bought a HD ViewSonic yesterday. Great price, $300.

You live (or go anywhere) near Kennedy, right? Go south on Kennedy, south of Ellesmere to the Bia, I think it's the first light south of Ellesmere, theres a Canada Computers to the right, turn right and take a look at that shop.

They have everything except HP I think? Not that HP is good...:)

You don't like widescreens but you like movies? :)

My games don't support it and I am used to 4:3 monitors.

I also prefer the silver/white ones but apparently, most LCD monitors out there are black. What's with black?

Here's 2 I found that fits my needs but I need a recommendation of which one is better and a good reason if possible.

LCD 1

LCD 2

Get the Samsung, its a TFT and it costs exactly the same as that LG. The LG is a standard flat panel monitor so it will not provide as good of a resolution. TFTs are usually more expensive because of the better resolution.

Almost all LCD monitors are TFT LCDs, and that LG one is too.

I would get the Samsung as well though, unless you like silver better. The contrast ratio is a bit better on the Samsung, though it probably isn't much of a noticeable difference. The Samsung is worth $30 more too. So, whichever design you like better, go with it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I actually like silver/white LCDs since my entire computer set is white but most LCDs nowadays are black which is a problem. And most of my friends says Samsung is a better brand than LG for LCDs. Now I'm skeptical. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I actually like silver/white LCDs since my entire computer set is white but most LCDs nowadays are black which is a problem. And most of my friends says Samsung is a better brand than LG for LCDs. Now I'm skeptical. :D

Personally I prefer the Samsung brand over LG as a whole. I personally haven't had the best LG experience with 1 sort of not working DVD-RW drive replaced by a old Pioneer A04 and another dimwitted DVD ROM drive which has coincidentally been replaced by a Samsung. Yet my cousin has all his LG stuff working in excellent order to the point most of his stuff is LG. With 2 LG LCD monitors, his haven't gone wrong. Samsung is probably the safe brand since I've never heard of problems...yet while LG is cheaper but is sort of a hit and miss, mostly hits.

Personally I prefer the Samsung brand over LG as a whole. I personally haven't had the best LG experience with 1 sort of not working DVD-RW drive replaced by a old Pioneer A04 and another dimwitted DVD ROM drive which has coincidentally been replaced by a Samsung. Yet my cousin has all his LG stuff working in excellent order to the point most of his stuff is LG. With 2 LG LCD monitors, his haven't gone wrong. Samsung is probably the safe brand since I've never heard of problems...yet while LG is cheaper but is sort of a hit and miss, mostly hits.

In that case, if someone can point me to a silver/white 19 inch LCD Samsung with the same or cheaper price at a reliable store, I'll be grateful!

Somehow I don't think that'll happen especially at that price!

In that case, if someone can point me to a silver/white 19 inch LCD Samsung with the same or cheaper price at a reliable store, I'll be grateful!

Somehow I don't think that'll happen especially at that price!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001209

That's USD but I think it comes out less than the monitor at future shop. Of course this is an older model, black appears to be the preferred colour for most LCD monitors Samsung does offer Silver versions of its 701N(17") 940B(19") and 203B/204B(20") I just couldn't find anywhere quickly where they're being sold. You could try through the samsung site.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001209

That's USD but I think it comes out less than the monitor at future shop. Of course this is an older model, black appears to be the preferred colour for most LCD monitors Samsung does offer Silver versions of its 701N(17") 940B(19") and 203B/204B(20") I just couldn't find anywhere quickly where they're being sold. You could try through the samsung site.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me if I run games at 800*600 or 1024*768 on this monitor, will it be bad since it's a LCD and the native resolution is 1400 x 1050? I can't run games at anything higher than these resolutions so I hope I can still run it at lower resolution but the image won't be washed out or something? CRT monitors don't have this problem, but I'm not sure about LCDs.

It's not bad for the monitor, but it will probably stretch to the full width of the screen. It might look a little blurry too, because like you said, it isn't at the native resolution. Not sure if you can get it to display in a 4:3 aspect ratio on the screen at the proper resolution - something to research!

Which monitor did you finally decide on?

For the record, I went with LG 19" widescreens.

LG L194WTX-BF 19IN Wide LCD Black 5MS 1440X900 2000:1 300CD/M2 VGA DVI-D F-ENGINE Monitor for $217.99 each.

It's not bad for the monitor, but it will probably stretch to the full width of the screen. It might look a little blurry too, because like you said, it isn't at the native resolution. Not sure if you can get it to display in a 4:3 aspect ratio on the screen at the proper resolution - something to research!

Which monitor did you finally decide on?

For the record, I went with LG 19" widescreens.

LG L194WTX-BF 19IN Wide LCD Black 5MS 1440X900 2000:1 300CD/M2 VGA DVI-D F-ENGINE Monitor for $217.99 each.

Actually I didn't buy it last time after asking the questions.

But right now Best Buy has a 20" Samsung LCD while Futureshop has two 19" LG LCD. I'mm deciding on these 3.

20" Samsung

19" LG

19" LG