Photography and Filming Banned on the Sheppard Subway?

So I was taking some photos and filming on the Sheppard subway today and apparently one of the drivers called the cops on me. I ended up going to Leslie station before they showed up, but I was later told that apparently both videos and photos for personal use are not allowed on the subway. Personally I think calling the cops is a little extreme (if they sent the station attendant out or a driver asked me to stop I would have and deleted all photos), but has anyone else had a similar experience? 

43 minutes ago, Streety McCarface said:

So I was taking some photos and filming on the Sheppard subway today and apparently one of the drivers called the cops on me. I ended up going to Leslie station before they showed up, but I was later told that apparently both videos and photos for personal use are not allowed on the subway. Personally I think calling the cops is a little extreme (if they sent the station attendant out or a driver asked me to stop I would have and deleted all photos), but has anyone else had a similar experience? 

According to the TTC Web page. Non Commercial Photos/Videos are permitted provided theres no interference with normal operations or with other customers.

https://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Business/Filming_on_ttc_property/index.jsp

If a cop tells you otherwise ask for a Sargent or show them this page.

Screenshot_20190929-114930_Chrome.thumb.jpg.329de171c55d3eaf9771d090b5941660.jpg

And if they ask you to delete any Photos/Videos, Your well within your charter rights to refuse ! 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Unfortunately the law takes a back seat to "self-deputized" citizens who use the police as their own personal customer service line. It's best to use a smart phone and sneak your shots here and there or take your shots off property. However, you are perfectly within your right to escalate the situation with higher authorities. If any operator puts their hands on you or your camera make sure you file an assault charge. If they bother you off property you can make a harassment claim. Get the jump on them when you can and call the police first.

13 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Unfortunately the law takes a back seat to "self-deputized" citizens who use the police as their own personal customer service line. It's best to use a smart phone and sneak your shots here and there or take your shots off property. However, you are perfectly within your right to escalate the situation with higher authorities. If any operator puts their hands on you or your camera make sure you file an assault charge. If they bother you off property you can make a harassment claim. Get the jump on them when you can and call the police first.

Yeah.  Or TTC employees that take themselves too seriously and call for the special constables.  Honestly, there are days I feel like calling up a friend of mine and asking if I can borrow his bigass Calumet 8x10 view camera and set that monster up on its giant tripod in a place like a park or a public sidewalk viewing some part of the subway system.  Maybe the belt line bridge and set it up to take a picture of Davisville station and make use of the view movements on it to make sure the TTC head office building isn't keystone distorted from the angle and spend a couple of hours taking one or two pictures on large format sheet film as an up yours right back at the no photo brigade.  Then call the media up for an interest story about how sniff...sniff... I'm being discriminated against practicing art in my medium of choice.

Unfortunately, I doubt anybody would get the point being made that shooting some slides with a basic 1970s 35mm SLR for my own use isn't that bad.

I need to take my Bronica out for a spin along with a medium format TLR camera I was given in a package of unwanted film equipment recently.  I just had two 35mm cameras, the TLR, and a 4x5 enlarger land in my lap a few days ago and I'd love to take the cameras out for a few days.  I don't have anything that shoots 4x5 sheet film though.  Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a press camera and a daylight sheet film tank at some point after the holidays.  The enlarger though.  My god.  That 4x5 enlarger is a monster of a beast.  I need to lightproof my laundry room and even then, I can't set it up on the counter because it's way too tall.  I'd have to set it up on the floor.

On September 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM, Streety McCarface said:

Out of curiosity, was it the police or the special constables that got called?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Yeah.  Or TTC employees that take themselves too seriously and call for the special constables.  Honestly, there are days I feel like calling up a friend of mine and asking if I can borrow his bigass Calumet 8x10 view camera and set that monster up on its giant tripod in a place like a park or a public sidewalk viewing some part of the subway system.  Maybe the belt line bridge and set it up to take a picture of Davisville station and make use of the view movements on it to make sure the TTC head office building isn't keystone distorted from the angle and spend a couple of hours taking one or two pictures on large format sheet film as an up yours right back at the no photo brigade.  Then call the media up for an interest story about how sniff...sniff... I'm being discriminated against practicing art in my medium of choice.

Unfortunately, I doubt anybody would get the point being made that shooting some slides with a basic 1970s 35mm SLR for my own use isn't that bad.

I need to take my Bronica out for a spin along with a medium format TLR camera I was given in a package of unwanted film equipment recently.  I just had two 35mm cameras, the TLR, and a 4x5 enlarger land in my lap a few days ago and I'd love to take the cameras out for a few days.  I don't have anything that shoots 4x5 sheet film though.  Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a press camera and a daylight sheet film tank at some point after the holidays.  The enlarger though.  My god.  That 4x5 enlarger is a monster of a beast.  I need to lightproof my laundry room and even then, I can't set it up on the counter because it's way too tall.  I'd have to set it up on the floor.

Out of curiosity, was it the police or the special constables that got called?

Police, probably because I was so far north. 

• Like 1

What's the brand name of your enlarger, wayside. I remember buying a huge darkroom kit about a decade ago for only $140. It came with an huge old enlarger that practically extended over six feet tall, a bunch of tanks, literally a bin full of lenses including Schneider lenses (some had a bit of fungus tho), filters, boxes and boxes of paper including that expensive fiber shit from ilford, etc etc etc. Unfortunately I had to sell it before I moved into my first apartment because my apartment at that time had sunlight beaming into it all day.

You are right about the operators and those special constables. I thought they got rid of those. I literally had them called on me on two occasions for merely watching trains on the platforms. Look, I get how some of these operators feel. They have boring lives I get it. They don't work glamourous jobs in spite of being paid handsomely for it. I understand why they need the little thrill of police involvement. Doesn't change the laws. Either way the law abiding will win. It's just a matter of finding a lawyer who works on contingency if they want to take it there.

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

What's the brand name of your enlarger, wayside. I remember buying a huge darkroom kit about a decade ago for only $140. It came with an huge old enlarger that practically extended over six feet tall, a bunch of tanks, literally a bin full of lenses including Schneider lenses (some had a bit of fungus tho), filters, boxes and boxes of paper including that expensive fiber shit from ilford, etc etc etc. Unfortunately I had to sell it before I moved into my first apartment because my apartment at that time had sunlight beaming into it all day.

You are right about the operators and those special constables. I thought they got rid of those. I literally had them called on me on two occasions for merely watching trains on the platforms. Look, I get how some of these operators feel. They have boring lives I get it. They don't work glamourous jobs in spite of being paid handsomely for it. I understand why they need the little thrill of police involvement. Doesn't change the laws. Either way the law abiding will win. It's just a matter of finding a lawyer who works on contingency if they want to take it there.

1 hour ago, Streety McCarface said:

Police, probably because I was so far north. 

This may well be the lesser of two evils.  The TTC’s special constables have historically been pretty brutal on people taking pictures.

Actually, professionalism as a whole was a big problem for them in the past which is why the Toronto Police Service revoked their special constable status which rendered them pretty much inert, little more than security guards.  This is probably what Downsview 108’s thinking of when he mentioned the TTC getting rid of them.  All this came to a head because of one particularly bad unit that was caught writing bogus tickets to cover goofing off on company time among other things.  It hit the press pretty big when it happened.  About 20% of the special constable workforce got fired over it, but getting the designation reinstated and restarting operation several years later was one of Andy Byford’s big achievements.

The enlarger I was given is an Omega Pro Lab 4x5.

5987F70E-4378-47FC-9298-F28ECC793CF2.thumb.jpeg.5ea6d76d6035d5b4020f3e6189767ce1.jpeg

D4308DEF-5DB1-4255-8563-3ECABF6DA15D.thumb.jpeg.a99c8a1590bd0e97a4ed8ac42606873f.jpeg

Loon at how huge that thing is!   I haven’t unloaded my truck yet because of the rain the last few days but that thing laying on a bit of a diagonal runs almost from the tailgate to the backside of the front passenger seat in my truck!  The base for that thing alone is larger than the box to the left of it!   And I thought the Omega B22XL I already owned was large.

Film equipment of all kinds is being sold for pennies on the dollar, if that, or outright given away these days like this was along with the three cameras that came with it.  All of this equipment is stuff I would’ve lusted after when I was in high school or my twenties but couldn’t afford even on the used market.  I’m sorry you had to sell off your darkroom rig without having a chance to use it.  That sucks.

Damn I need to lightproof my laundry room and get my hands on a press camera plus a box of Ilford HP5+ sheet film.

Maybe we need to arrange a strength in numbers all legal, above board photo expedition sometime in 2020.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

This may well be the lesser of two evils.  The TTC’s special constables have historically been pretty brutal on people taking pictures.

Actually, professionalism as a whole was a big problem for them in the past which is why the Toronto Police Service revoked their special constable status which rendered them pretty much inert, little more than security guards.  This is probably what Downsview 108’s thinking of when he mentioned the TTC getting rid of them.  All this came to a head because of one particularly bad unit that was caught writing bogus tickets to cover goofing off on company time among other things.  It hit the press pretty big when it happened.  About 20% of the special constable workforce got fired over it, but getting the designation reinstated and restarting operation several years later was one of Andy Byford’s big achievements.

The enlarger I was given is an Omega Pro Lab 4x5.

5987F70E-4378-47FC-9298-F28ECC793CF2.thumb.jpeg.5ea6d76d6035d5b4020f3e6189767ce1.jpeg

D4308DEF-5DB1-4255-8563-3ECABF6DA15D.thumb.jpeg.a99c8a1590bd0e97a4ed8ac42606873f.jpeg

Loon at how huge that thing is!   I haven’t unloaded my truck yet because of the rain the last few days but that thing laying on a bit of a diagonal runs almost from the tailgate to the backside of the front passenger seat in my truck!  The base for that thing alone is larger than the box to the left of it!   And I thought the Omega B22XL I already owned was large.

Film equipment of all kinds is being sold for pennies on the dollar, if that, or outright given away these days like this was along with the three cameras that came with it.  All of this equipment is stuff I would’ve lusted after when I was in high school or my twenties but couldn’t afford even on the used market.  I’m sorry you had to sell off your darkroom rig without having a chance to use it.  That sucks.

Damn I need to lightproof my laundry room and get my hands on a press camera plus a box of Ilford HP5+ sheet film.

Maybe we need to arrange a strength in numbers all legal, above board photo expedition sometime in 2020.

Nice. I haven't seen one of those before. Looks like a more modern enlarger than what I had. I can't remember the make of the one I had but it was really old. I actually did process one roll which resulted in one of my favourite photos I ever took seen in the attachment. It's crazy how cheap film stuff became as soon as digital cameras became commonplace. I remember going to downtown camera when it was a disorganized mess and looking at a little zoom lens that cost $80. Fast forward less than a decade later where I bought two huge camera kits with everything you could possibly need, including star filters, for only $120 total. That included two giant zoom lenses. I actually have a film camera in my basement. It is a Minolta electronic one from the 80s. Minolta 7000 or something I can't remember. It doesn't work though. I'd like to have it fixed because it came with some nice lenses and even a three pack of film. I got that at an auction for like $10. 🤣🤣🤣 Gets on my tits how cheap this stuff became after having to scrimp and save to buy what little second hand equipment I used to own.

EDIT. I just did a quick google search and found out mine was an Omega as well. An Omega D2

p2208044-edit.jpg?w=500&h=635

IMG_20191209_204152.jpg

• Like 1