Go Raleigh, NC

Starting a new thread for Go Raleigh as there is no specific thread for this agency since their old name before they rebranded circa 2015. Old thread under the original name can bee seen here: Capital Area Transit (CAT) Raleigh, NC.

I found #1300 listed on Copart.com for auction as scrap. VIN number is: 15GGD271691176726 - https://www.copart.com/lot/44408429

• 6 months later...

I was down in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago, right as the COVID-19 stuff hit the fan. I didn't get a chance to ride, but from my observations the 2016 diesel Gilligs and the 2018-19 CNG Gilligs held the lion's share of the service. This might be an interesting system to see in the coming years as Wake County is in the midst of an ambitious transit expansion plan that will also heavily expand GoTriangle and GoCary service within the county.

In the meantime, enjoy the best shots from this trip: 1905 on the 15 at the near end of its route.

20200313_173251 - Edited.jpg

20200313_173258 - Edited.jpg

20200313_173307 - Edited.jpg

• Like 4
  • 8 months later...

I recently relocated to the Raleigh area so I have some minor updates about what's going on at GoRaleigh.

• They are really wanting to run their older buses ragged as of late, the CAT-era Gilligs have been seeing more and more service if anything due to the strict capacity limits COVID has forced on the agency (if any bus leaves downtown more than 50% full, discounting wheelchair positions, a tripper usually follows).
  • As a result, for a time this fall GoRaleigh borrowed GoTriangle's 2821 and 2822, wrapped them in the GoRaleigh livery, and ran them as extras. A lot of the service they saw was on the R-Line where the 29' Gilligs are capped at 10 riders and ridership patterns can be unstable.
  • The Proterras are on order and should arrive sometime in 2021.

Elsewhere in Wake County, GoCary is doing a redesign of their system effective the start of 2021. The Maynard Road circulators, a legacy, from the C-Tran days, are no more with three new fixed routes (7, 8, and a rerouted 1) plus a rush hour Cary-Apex express being launched. Also, Cary Depot will become a proper pulse point with all routes leaving at the top and bottom of each hour alongside the restructured GoTriangle Route 300.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Yes https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GoRaleigh#Retired_Buses

I wonder if the Orion 5s are still around? I assume they are because they’ve already moved on to retiring the gilligs, but I haven’t seen any confirmation yet..

IIRC there were quite a few of the V's being auctioned off earlier this year along with a couple of older Gillig LF. I'd assume they are all gone from the fleet now.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 3:03 PM, Orion6025 said:

Did they retain the #s 2821-22 at GoRaleigh?

It's actually up to 2824 and they tend to rotate them in and out. As I type this with Transee in another tab, 2821 and 2822 are out on the 25L and 26 respectively. With the R-Line on ice until probably July, it makes sense to run them on those connector routes that go either crosstown or connect as extensions to other routes.

More news: Some of the 2009 Gilligs have been given the GoRaleigh branded seat covers as their original, standard issue rainbow scheme had started to see better days. This on the heels of a couple of 2008 models have been retired and sold, namely the operators of the B110 in Brooklyn.

• Thanks 1
On 12/30/2020 at 3:25 PM, Orion6025 said:

Yes https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GoRaleigh#Retired_Buses

I wonder if the Orion 5s are still around? I assume they are because they’ve already moved on to retiring the gilligs, but I haven’t seen any confirmation yet..

The last of the Orion 5's were retired when the 1900-series CNG GIlligs entered service in mid-2019. The last Orion 5's running anywhere in the Triangle (or NC period) are the 2003 35' 5's at Duke though only two are accounted for and go in and out of service.

• Thanks 1