Sign in to follow this  
TristanA

Improved transit in port alberni

I haven't taken the bus in Port Alberni, but looking online, the service seems pretty good for a small system. More service than Campbell River and likely less ridership. BC Transit could use Vicinity buses over the Arbocs, but then again, it's a smaller system so an Arboc may be just enough. 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, Matt Dunlop said:

I haven't taken the bus in Port Alberni, but looking online, the service seems pretty good for a small system. More service than Campbell River and likely less ridership. BC Transit could use Vicinity buses over the Arbocs, but then again, it's a smaller system so an Arboc may be just enough. 

When I drove stopped in Port Alberni back in May on my way to Ucluelet, I was passed by either a Vicinity or a Dart, I wasn't familiar with the difference between the two models at the time so I'm not sure which is which. As for the original question, as with any system, the more reliable and frequent the service, the more likely people will use it. I have a certain hatred for one-way loop routing (having grown up in an area served like that) so improvements could be made on that front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

When I drove stopped in Port Alberni back in May on my way to Ucluelet, I was passed by either a Vicinity or a Dart, I wasn't familiar with the difference between the two models at the time so I'm not sure which is which. As for the original question, as with any system, the more reliable and frequent the service, the more likely people will use it. I have a certain hatred for one-way loop routing (having grown up in an area served like that) so improvements could be made on that front.

Darts are typically in the old red/blue livery. Vicinity is in the new livery

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Darts are typically in the old red/blue livery

Not exclusively but yeah in Victoria for the mostpart that's true. Whatever I drove past at the time was in the new livery, and I recall thinking it looked pretty modern for such a small town so I suspect it was a vicinity. Is there any way to find out what buses are currently assigned to which fleets? 

13 hours ago, Articulated said:

Unfortunately a lot of the pages on BC Transit's smaller networks are currently outdated by quite a lot, and I was hoping for a BC Transit source. The only system-specific information I could find was the number of buses in the CRD compared to the rest of the province in the annual report. 

5 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Unfortunately a lot of the pages on BC Transit's smaller networks are currently outdated by quite a lot, and I was hoping for a BC Transit source. The only system-specific information I could find was the number of buses in the CRD compared to the rest of the province in the annual report. 

The information on the Wiki should be relatively up to date, as much as it can be. I received an official BC Transit fleet roster dated January 2019, and the Wiki was updated to reflect that. Other local members have contributed bus movements throughout the year when they are known to occur.

• Like 2