Hiring Help! Experienced TTC op transfer to CT

TheAverageGuy

Hi All

I’m currently an operator with TTC and will be relocating from Toronto to Calgary area in 6-10 months (due to family) and I’m having a hard time leaving the job I love and seniority I’ve finally built up. however I’ve found some assurance in the hopes that I may be able to replace it all at Calgary Transit

I’ve repeatedly looked online for job postings with CT but haven’t seen any posters

would anyone happen to know how often CT hires, how many on average per year and perhaps when the next anticipated batch of hiring may take place? Or perhaps if theres anyway to be transferred in as an existing operator of another transit system?

i could look at other jobs, but I really want to keep doing what I love, if i absolutely didn’t have to, I would never quit my job 

You won't be able to transfer, they are two completely different companies.  You'll have to apply at the new company, go through their hiring process and if you're accepted, do their training program just like everyone else.  As for your seniority, you start from the bottom again.

Doesn't look like CT is currently hiring, but if they were, it would probably be posted here:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/careers/applying-be-operator/current-operator-opportunities

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

You won't be able to transfer, they are two completely different companies.  You'll have to apply at the new company, go through their hiring process and if you're accepted, do their training program just like everyone else.  As for your seniority, you start from the bottom again.

Doesn't look like CT is currently hiring, but if they were, it would probably be posted here:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/careers/applying-be-operator/current-operator-opportunities

I figured the transfer would be a long shot. Thanks for the link, i’ve been checking but nothing posted for a while, was hoping if anyone know anything about when CT hires or next anticipated hiring is

1 hour ago, TheAverageGuy said:

I figured the transfer would be a long shot. Thanks for the link, i’ve been checking but nothing posted for a while, was hoping if anyone know anything about when CT hires or next anticipated hiring is

Check out all the other operators around here. I know Southland is hiring right now for sure.

20 minutes ago, TheAverageGuy said:

What do you mean by all “other operators” ?

isn’t southland a School Bus company?

Other operators as in other companies.  Calgary Transit may not be hiring but there may be other companies such as Southland Transportation (school bus and motorcoach) and Willco Transportation (school bus) that’ll likely be hiring for the new upcoming school year.

16 minutes ago, TheAverageGuy said:

What do you mean by all “other operators” ?

isn’t southland a School Bus company?

Southland also operates coach-style commuter services between Calgary and several bedroom communities. It also uses those buses to operate daily summer services between Calgary and Banff/Canmore.

During major events, Red Arrow (Pacific Western, I believe?) operates public transit style shuttles between the LRT and the various facilities at Spruce Meadows. Red Arrow are best known for operating intercity coach services.

The neighbouring city of Airdrie operates its own transit system.

So does Banff/Canmore, though those locations might be far enough away from Calgary that it’s not a feasible work option. 

8 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

Other operators as in other companies.  Calgary Transit may not be hiring but there may be other companies such as Southland Transportation (school bus and motorcoach) and Willco Transportation (school bus) that’ll likely be hiring for the new upcoming school year.

Got it, I’ll look into these, thanks for the help

8 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Southland also operates coach-style commuter services between Calgary and several bedroom communities. It also uses those buses to operate daily summer services between Calgary and Banff/Canmore.

During major events, Red Arrow (Pacific Western, I believe?) operates public transit style shuttles between the LRT and the various facilities at Spruce Meadows. Red Arrow are best known for operating intercity coach services.

The neighbouring city of Airdrie operates its own transit system.

So does Banff/Canmore, though those locations might be far enough away from Calgary that it’s not a feasible work option. 

Thats very helpful information, appreciate the input, thanks.

Since others are mentioning as far afield as Banff and Canmore, Red Deer and lethbridge would be fair game too.

I admire that you’ve got the balls to  follow through, though it doesn’t appear to be a voluntary choice in your case. I’ve pondered leaving too, but chickened out...at least for the next decade and a half.

Knowing you chose pragmatism over your dreams is a shitty feeling.

First and Diversified have a few shut downs coming up in the Ft Mac area as well, temporary positions but flights and accommodations are paid. You might even be able to roll into one shut down to the next. Good experience and good money. 

7 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Since others are mentioning as far afield as Banff and Canmore, Red Deer and lethbridge would be fair game too.

I admire that you’ve got the balls to  follow through, though it doesn’t appear to be a voluntary choice in your case. I’ve pondered leaving too, but chickened out...at least for the next decade and a half.

Knowing you chose pragmatism over your dreams is a shitty feeling.

I appreciate your input, i’ll look into those as well. My first hope would be CT so I don’t miss TTC much since its the closest match but till then I’ll settle for whatever is closest option other than CT. 

To be quite honest, I’m not sure if its a good idea to leave TTC and I’m well settled in Toronto and was born and raised here and if i should go on a limb, i can stay in Toronto but I have family and it’s a  dream of mine to live in the west close to the rockies and outdoors 

7 hours ago, 9924 said:

First and Diversified have a few shut downs coming up in the Ft Mac area as well, temporary positions but flights and accommodations are paid. You might even be able to roll into one shut down to the next. Good experience and good money. 

This might be a bit much for my family, wife and kids wouldn’t be too happy, but I appreciate the input

6 hours ago, 9924 said:

Big agency right on the Pacific is hiring like mad right now.

It’s the golden handcuffs here in Toronto stopping me. I’m exactly halfway through my 30 year stint. Knock wood, I’ll be healthy enough at 53 when I come out the other side to enjoy semi retirement with my full pension....Maybe get in with a charter outfit out there or something for fun mostly. 

I’ll likely stop spinning wrenches for money though, unless I get an offer I can’t refuse.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:12 AM, Bus_Medic said:

It’s the golden handcuffs here in Toronto stopping me. I’m exactly halfway through my 30 year stint. Knock wood, I’ll be healthy enough at 53 when I come out the other side to enjoy semi retirement with my full pension....Maybe get in with a charter outfit out there or something for fun mostly. 

I’ll likely stop spinning wrenches for money though, unless I get an offer I can’t refuse.

Golden handcuffs is the right term indeed. Its a tough decision