2021-2030 SkyTrain Procurement (Alstom Mark V)// + New OMC4 Construction

Express691

On 7/8/2022 at 1:51 AM, UprisingCanadian said:

Nope. It so the double deckers weren't just a giant gray wall. The color of the roof has zero play in the strength of the roof.

The only improvement I can think of other than the avoidance of a gray wall was that the blue paint was more sun-resistant or something, which I have heard rumours of. 

• 8 months later...

New Mark V render from Translink.  Livery is as suspected with the blue roof though that was already confirmed in the constriction pictures from June last year.

Car is numbered 6011 showing a switch to four digit fleet numbering, to be expected given the large order.  I assume 5000 series is being reserved for the future Mark IV designated cars.

Source: https://www.translink.ca/plans-and-projects/projects/rapid-transit-projects/station-access-and-safety-project

ct_waterfront_station_skytrain.png

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, madog222 said:

New Mark V render from Translink.  Livery is as suspected with the blue roof though that was already confirmed in the constriction pictures from June last year.

Car is numbered 6011 showing a switch to four digit fleet numbering, to be expected given the large order.  I assume 5000 series is being reserved for the future Mark IV designated cars.

Wild guess but I also wouldn't be surprised if the numbering scheme is updated at least internally. i.e. remaining mk1 1000s, mk2 2000/3000s

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 2:43 AM, Mac Write said:

What are the changes to the Mark III expected to be? I am hoping it means they will add another C car, as the trains are less than 10 years old. Going from 84 to 105 5 car Mark IV's.

We ma hear about that soon, from the recent board meeting:

-Completed draft scope of work for the Mark II SkyTrain fleet overhaul project.

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/about-translink/governance-and-board/board-of-directors/board-minutes-and-reports/2023/march/23-03-29-public-board-mtg-agendamin.pdf

• 4 months later...

The fleet numbers revealed to be 6011-6015 as the first set and the second set as 6021-6025. 

It seems that the numbering system on the Mark V is based on the series number (6000), set number (01), and vehicle number (1).  (Example: set 01 = 6011-6015, set 02 = 6021-6025 etc...) Kind of reminds me of the Keikyu and Keisei Railways in Tokyo, Japan with their similar fleet numbering system. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, East Van Fan said:

The fleet numbers revealed to be 6011-6015 as the first set and the second set as 6021-6025

It seems that the numbering system on the Mark V is based on the series number (6000), set number (01), and vehicle number (1).  (Example: set 01 = 6011-6015, set 02 = 6021-6025 etc...) Kind of reminds me of the Keikyu and Keisei Railways in Tokyo, Japan with their similar fleet numbering system. 

Originally I thought the new fleet numbering was to make room for 21 additional cars possibly being added to the existing MK IIIs in the future for their “MK IV” upgrade because there wasn’t enough space in the 400s and I remember there was mention of potentially adding a fifth car to existing MK IIIs, assuming BCRTC ever got the funding for those additional fifth cars, but this explanation also makes sense considering there will only be 41 MK V train sets with the option to order more in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dane said:

I'm excited for when our definition of accessibility includes seats, again. 

The lack of seats has little to do with accessibility. Standees take up less floor space than seated passengers; therefore, by decreasing the number of seats, the capacity of each train increases.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:55 AM, GORDOOM said:

The lack of seats has little to do with accessibility. Standees take up less floor space than seated passengers; therefore, by decreasing the number of seats, the capacity of each train increases.

Yes, that's my point. 

On 9/8/2023 at 3:55 AM, GORDOOM said:

That's why many transit vehicles across Canada were converted to mostly perimeter seating during World War II: to increase total capacity even at the expense of seated capacity. They had to get people to and from war industries, and everything that could roll had to roll. That was with or without orders from the Dominion Transit Controller in the Department of Munitions and Supply.

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, anyfong said:

What's the Mark V delivery schedule looking like? I recall that they were supposed to be delivered starting October 2023, but I pass by Edmonds every day and they're still not in sight.

My guess is sometime early next year, considering they pretty much just finished testing 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Transit Guy said:

After seeing 6011 & 6025 in the recent pics, I went back to the test video. Didn’t realize the first MK V is actually numbered 6011, 6022-6025.

JR east’s, in fact the Japanese rolling stock numbering system argues this is normal

(It’ll grow on you)

• Like 2