2021-2030 SkyTrain Procurement (Alstom Mark V)

Express691

2 hours ago, Mac Write said:

I've looked all over and can't find the 30 Skytrain order. I want to know when they will arrive and enter service. Links please.

The extension is "funded" but not officially going ahead yet, so I don't think the 30 has officially been ordered yet.

Also, since it's likely an exercise of options under the order of 205, it might not get an official press release.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I come back - Read the daily hive quote which says

"While the newest existing model of train used on the Expo and Millennium lines is the Mark III, which saw the first trains rolled onto the system in 2016, the name of these new generation trains is the Mark V. Lovegreen explained that Mark IV has been assigned to the name of the Mark III trains undergoing some minor upgrades."

• Express691 changed the title to 2021-2030 SkyTrain Procurement (Alstom Mark V)
3 hours ago, Express691 said:

I come back - Read the daily hive quote which says

"While the newest existing model of train used on the Expo and Millennium lines is the Mark III, which saw the first trains rolled onto the system in 2016, the name of these new generation trains is the Mark V. Lovegreen explained that Mark IV has been assigned to the name of the Mark III trains undergoing some minor upgrades."

Any idea what these minor upgrades are? Also how many Mk IIIs are being upgraded to Mk IV?

6 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I hope they're not leaving it painted white. The Mark IIs are already a good example of why not to do this.

It's a mock-up, not a production vehicle. I suspect the new cars will either have the same livery as the Mark IIIs (/Mark IVs) or a coloured-roofed version like the 2019 buses. For that matter, based on the precedent of the Mark I rebuild, I suspect the rebuilt Mark IIs will also get the current livery.

Edit: Or maybe, between the new trolleybuses and the Mark Vs, they'll decide it's time for an all-new livery. The current Sweep-R will be two decades old at that point, with only modest revisions in 2018/2019 corresponding to the RapidBus and double-decker launches.

17 hours ago, Mac Write said:

The current livery is modern, looks good and doesn't look dated by a long shot.

I don't disagree. I'm simply pointing out that, if TransLink were to decide to shake things up, the launch of the Mark Vs and the new trolleybuses would be a perfect opportunity.

7 hours ago, Mac Write said:

When did Translink place an order for new Trolley buses?

Not ordered yet, but expect an RFP in 2024 or so. The ExxLFRs were delivered 2005–2008, and TransLink plans for a 20-year service life for trolleybuses. Also, the current electrification plan calls for maintaining the current trolleybus overhead through the 2040s and concentrating CapEx on rigging the rest of the bus network to charge bus batteries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Write said:

This needs a new thread

Yes, please discuss elsewhere (i.e. the trolleybus thread by scrolling down a bit in the vancouver subforum)

=====================

The buzzer released a post regarding naming conventions for the skytrain units.

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2021/11/why-isnt-the-new-skytrain-called-the-mark-iv-and-other-questions-on-the-mark-v/

• 7 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 12:30 PM, Mac Write said:

This needs a new thread

Having as much Trolley routes as possible alongside Battery electric trolleys would mean a unified fleet. Trolley busses could have partial routes without wires. We need the 15 back, and need to add the 2, 22 to the trolly routes. 

I doubt it for 15 since they're already interline with 50, if you say Battery Electric could be possible~~

On 6/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, Express691 said:

Screenshot from today's board meeting

Screenshot_20220623-103209_YouTube.thumb.jpg.49911303eee049a9b4111350e88996db.jpg

If I'm not mistaken those long roof pieces are painted blue!!!

Looks like we'll get a blue top livery for the Mark Vs?

• Like 2