2021-2030 SkyTrain Procurement (Alstom Mark V)// + New OMC4 Construction

Express691

On 2/23/2024 at 12:58 PM, Express691 said:

Before anyone forgets, this Saturday will be the last trains on the inbound tracks between Braid and Lougheed for the next two years as construction for the new OMC is set to ramp up.

Do you mean the actual SkyTrain-defined "inbound" or the "inbound towards Waterfront" direction?  The SkyTrain-defined inbound is actually for the trains going from Braid to Lougheed.  Trains going the other way (from Lougheed to Braid) normally travel on the "outbound".  This is legacy from the time when the Millennium Line was officially between VCC-Clark and Columbia, so "VCC-Clark" bound was considered "inbound" and "Waterfront via Columbia" bound was considered "outbound" as soon as trains left Columbia.  You can see this when emerging from the tunnel in the Woodlands area when heading towards Sapperton - there is a sign that says "travel direction changes to 0" or something like that.  0 is "inbound" in BCRTC-speak.  (But oddly, "0" is "outbound" on the Canada Line.)  I've confirmed this from the time that SkyTrain radio was on ScanBC.

I would have thought they'd be working on the "outbound" side as that is the side closest to where the new yard will be???  Maybe they're creating the switch first???

Will go and ride it today anyway, hehehe.

Clearly I don’t read; yeah construction is actually on the “outbound” track towards Lougheed.

Saw Some preliminary video at Sapperton and it looks like they’re running Japanese/UK style with trains on the left between Braid and Sapperton. Quite a sight to behold tbh.

UPDATE I’m willing to bet the net reduction in the peak Expo/Millennium requirement is 1, maybe 2 trains. Useful given the amount of mk2.0 undergoing “refurb” inside OMC2

23 hours ago, Express691 said:

Clearly I don’t read; yeah construction is actually on the “outbound” track towards Lougheed.

Saw Some preliminary video at Sapperton and it looks like they’re running Japanese/UK style with trains on the left between Braid and Sapperton. Quite a sight to behold tbh

So I went and checked it out yesterday and actually it is the "inbound" as defined by SkyTrain (but, for added confusion, they are the "outbound trains from Waterfront" 🤔).  And I noticed too that the sign I referred to has Radio Channel 3 placed over top (used to be 2) - but the direction is still "0".

Also, not sure if this is related to the construction, but there were a lot of oddities yesterday at and around Lougheed/Production Way.

The train I was on went from Braid "outbound" (actually inbound directionally, see above) to Lougheed "inbound" (the normal Production Way-bound platform), and then switched back over to the "outbound" to travel to Production Way.

Later, a Millennium Line train towards Lafarge Lake came into the proper location at Production Way, announced as such, then departed in the wrong direction to let a train to Waterfront come in first doing the same as above.  There was an incident at Royal Oak/Edmonds at that time too, so not sure if this is related to that, the yard construction, or some unrelated issue with the switch between Production Way and Lake City Way.

Oh, and not all trains run that "wrong side" pattern.  The Braid turnbacks stay on the "inbound" platform (platform 2).

Confused yet?  Hehehe.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This was noticed in a clip of the new SkyTrain having a test run: what are the two Mark I-style white trains parked in the background (circled in red on the grass)? Are they the demonstrator units for the Expo Line back in 1985? Or are they something else entirely?

CCF41998-3ADF-41B9-B1E8-2F7402C8C18D.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Electric said:

This was noticed in a clip of the new SkyTrain having a test run: what are the two Mark I-style white trains parked in the background (circled in red on the grass)? Are they the demonstrator units for the Expo Line back in 1985? Or are they something else entirely?

CCF41998-3ADF-41B9-B1E8-2F7402C8C18D.jpeg

To the best of my knowledge, the longer one is a prototype MK2. Correct me if I'm wrong

30 minutes ago, Electric said:

This is TV05
https://buzzer.translink.ca/2019/04/translink-20-the-secret-mark-ii-skytrain-cars/

======================================================================

Daily Hive article:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skytrain-omc4-trainyard

4 hours ago, 981 said:

To the best of my knowledge, the longer one is a prototype MK2. Correct me if I'm wrong

Yes that's correct. When the test trains left here one i believe was converted to a new prototype MK2 model. But i believe they scrapped that model to make them a bit quieter. But that's just my take.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I spotted train 6011-6025 at OMC3 in Coquitlam this afternoon. When I head to work tomorrow I'll be ready with my phone to take a short video if it's still there.

• Like 3

Unfortunately it was not there today. This means they have it out test running on the system though, so hopefully someone is able to catch a photo of it soon.

43 minutes ago, Xuddite said:

Unfortunately it was not there today. This means they have it out test running on the system though, so hopefully someone is able to catch a photo of it soon.

Either out testing or in shop getting some work done. 

1 hour ago, Busmanic92 said:

Either out testing or in shop getting some work done. 

If it's in the shop they better fix that god awful interior that makes the REM look like first class on a jet

• Thanks 1