Sign in to follow this  
map.man (Darrin)

Luzerne County Transportation Authority (LCTA) rebranding.

Effective August 1, 2019, the LCTA has rebranded as the Northeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority.

The new site is https://www.gonepta.org/.

Don't know how long the lctabus.com site will be operating, but it is operating for the time being.

Of note, they're switching to the Avail tracking system, in which I think it will be easier to recognize their active fleet in service.

It's not clear if this is the precursor to amalgamation of LCTA with COLTS and Hazleton systems, but sounds like it *could* happen.

nepta-icon-150x150.png

• Thanks 1

The choice of the new name (a play off of SEPTA) would certainly seem to indicate that Luzerne County wants the amalgamation to happen.  Whether it does is up to the other two areas, of course.  Certainly a merger with COLTS would make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Awful. Awful.

The "circle" logo violates multiple fundamentals of graphic design. The "full letters" logo on the website... looks like the title card for a low-budget, made-for-TV sci-fi mini-series from the Fall 1987 season. Cancelled due to low ratings after two episodes.

And the name? Yikes. After decades of a crusty reputation, SEPTA is only starting to become a positive, credible brand name in transit. It's not nearly strong enough to serve as the model for another transit system.

Of all the derisive nicknames for SEPTA, inept-a comes up every so often (...though schlep-ta is my personal favorite 😁)  At least "inept-a" requires someone to really stretch the name.

Here... NEPTA... you're practically saying "inept-a" without even trying. How did no one realize that? And does "NEPTA" sound like a modern, appealing organization even if it wasn't five-sixths of the way to "inept-a"?

Stuff like this... makes it pretty obvious why our industry is losing ridership and struggling to compete.

We really gotta raise the bar -- making transit succeed will require us to appeal to customers, not just bureaucrats.

</rant>

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, Border City Transit said:

Awful. Awful.

The "circle" logo violates multiple fundamentals of graphic design. The "full letters" logo on the website... looks like the title card for a low-budget, made-for-TV sci-fi mini-series from the Fall 1987 season. Cancelled due to low ratings after two episodes.

And the name? Yikes. After decades of a crusty reputation, SEPTA is only starting to become a positive, credible brand name in transit. It's not nearly strong enough to serve as the model for another transit system.

Of all the derisive nicknames for SEPTA, inept-a comes up every so often (...though schlep-ta is my personal favorite 😁)  At least "inept-a" requires someone to really stretch the name.

Here... NEPTA... you're practically saying "inept-a" without even trying. How did no one realize that? And does "NEPTA" sound like a modern, appealing organization even if it wasn't five-sixths of the way to "inept-a"?

Stuff like this... makes it pretty obvious why our industry is losing ridership and struggling to compete.

We really gotta raise the bar -- making transit succeed will require us to appeal to customers, not just bureaucrats.

</rant>

When I first saw a look at the new logo, I agree that it looked very dated.  The name of the authority is also nowhere as bad as what I'd heard the NFTA (my agency) or MARTA stood for.

I've been watching the site to see how quickly everything gets updated, including the grossly less than medicocre schedules.  COLTS (just northeast of them) contracted with an outside agency and has produced a timetable that to this day I think should be the benchmark for all timetables created at agencies.  I also like the Russell's Guide, but do understand that it's not the favorite of a typical traveler.

I do believe a lot of the dog and pony show doesn't sit well with the ridership, ESPECIALLY when there isn't a management shake up to go with it.  A new look can revive a name when it's carefully thought out, with service expansions, fare caps, and newer technologies to get people where they want to go, in the most efficient way possible.

Also of note:  their switch to Avail Technologies may (imo) bring the three agencies (COLTS, NEPTA and HPT) under one technology umbrella.

I'd also like to see if they can modernize the LATS system with the same technology and better connections to the STS system.