What does your username mean?

STO_1601

Note: this post was written when my username was "ImgursDownvote4Love"

Imgur refers to imgur.com

Downvote4Love refers to a reply on the most downvoted comment on Imgur, "Edward Macaroni Fork", the reply being "the only comment people downvote to show love"

9h6Zx.jpg

Edited by GrandeWest_B35G
  • Like 2

I used to be reasonably active in this hobby.  Some of the stuff I was involved with is still floating around out there.  But, times change and people change.  A lot of stuff I used to be interested in is long gone.  On the other side of the coin, I've picked up a number of new interests and involvement with things I wasn't back then, plus new or added responsibilities for various things in life too.  The foamer antics just wiped me out though.  Putting up with the nonsense from them out in the wild while they're ruining things for everyone got old.  Then there's the absolute steaming heap of garbage associated with the organized foaming groups.  For the most part, I've walked away, except for coming out of the woodwork on my own terms or at least terms that are minimally agreeable to me for the odd occasional thing that happens that I want to take part in.  That's a rare occurrence though.  For the most part, I'm off to the side, watching from a distance.  I thought "Wayside Observer" captured the disengagement from direct involvement well.

I bet a lot of users in the Calgary thread may be wondering about why my name is the way it is, and since this thread exists, I may as well talk about it here.

I’ve been tech savvy for the majority of my life and have always been interested to talk and learn about the history, discussion and use of technology.  So, in 2015, I started a YouTube channel about my hobby called Technology Spotlight (Me and my buddies often abreviated it to TechSpotight.). I produced these videos for around a year and a half, but ultimately my life became extremely busy and my obsession and hobby for transit and buses grew and grew, limiting the amount of videos I uploaded to that channel, so I simply abandoned it.  When it came time to join the CPTDB and upload my photography to the web, I couldn’t come up with a better name.  The name “TechSpotlight” was stuck to me, and even my close friends called me that on occasion.  So I just decided to name my board account TechSpotlight.

Just so you know I've made this thread so people can tell why they picked their username, what does it mean to them, what are they named after, how did they get their name, etc.

If you're not satisfied with the thread title I can change it if you wish.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

It's my favorite engine of all time.

*Off topic*

I used to like the series 50 better, but after hearing them side-by-side on the weekend, I like the 6V92TA better. It seems to be quieter than the S50, too.

Haven't rode a bus with an S40 yet, hope to soon!

44 minutes ago, GrandeWest_B35G said:

*Off topic*

I used to like the series 50 better, but after hearing them side-by-side on the weekend, I like the 6V92TA better. It seems to be quieter than the S50, too.

Haven't rode a bus with an S40 yet, hope to soon!

Depends on which bus they're in because I've found 6V92TA's to be way louder than most Series 50's. I like the S50 as well, probably my 3rd or 4th favorite engine.

The Series 40 isn't even a Detroit actually. It's just a re-branded International-Navistar DT530E engine, licensed by DD back in 1997-2003 or 2004 to sell in transit buses. It was quite common in school buses along with the older DT466. I rode a 1999 Gillig LF with a Series 40 and it sounds like a school bus.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Depends on which bus they're in because I've found 6V92TA's to be way louder than most Series 50's.

Here's the buses I compared them in.

MCI Classic (6V92TA):

Compared to a dieselised C40 (S50):

And a D40LF (S50):

The Classic was much quieter than the New Flyers.