Jump to content
GrandeWest_B35G

Coin and Banknote Collecting

Recommended Posts

That's a nice collection there, especially the pre-decimal UK coins.  I used to collect coins.  I still have a small collection but it's got serious gaps and holes in it because I had to sell off everything of value during a financial crisis.  File that feeling of walking around the house knowing a bunch of bills and payments are coming due and your back's against the wall and you're eyeing things up as to what can be converted into liquid cash quickly.  That dreadful feeling of "Welcome to adulthood".

I had a nice collection of $1 bills stretching back to 1923, some $10 gold coins from that brief era 1912-1914 when the mint was issuing $5 and $10 coins.  I was trying to build up a collection of all six.  I still have coins from Newfoundland, some proof silver dollars and some proof sets, and large cents.  I'd like to get back into it one of these days if wages ever start tracking cost of living again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually just buy bars/rounds of silver or fractional ounces of gold, mainly for its stability as an investment.  But every once in awhile, I'll buy a rare coin just because it interests me, particularly ancients.  My favourite, although not particularly rare, is a NGC graded XF "Widow's Mite" with an exceptional striking.  Just the thought that someone used it as currency 2000 years ago is intriguing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad had a Pontius Pilate coin in his collection, which he left to me in his will.  Aside from that, I am mostly interested in Canadian, American, British and Commonwealth coins and banknotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pretty extensive collection and once my great-grandfather passes away I will inherit more valuable coins from the 1920's including quite a bit of U.S walking Liberty half dollars from the 1910's.

 

I used to have a much more extensive Canadian collection, especially in large cent coins, however I lost about one-third of my collection due to corrosion from a failed cleaning method (I used iodized salt and water and kept it in too long, I was young okay...)

 

I use to have a lot of special coins (to me) unfortunately I have lost quite a bit of them...  I used to have a 1860 Indian head penny, however it got lost in the couch I could never find it before we threw it out, sadly... I used to have a British one penny from 1695, but too has mysteriously disappeared....

 

And recently I just lost my five cent nickel with King George v on it from 1913, I'm pretty sure it's around here somewhere but I honestly don't understand how the hell I lose this shit when it's mainly locked up in a vault...

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I used to have a much more extensive Canadian collection, especially in large cent coins, however I lost about one-third of my collection due to corrosion from a failed cleaning method (I used iodized salt and water and kept it in too long, I was young okay...)

There are two rules of coin collecting:

1. It's always a Thai Baht

2. Never clean your coins!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

There are two rules of coin collecting:

1. It's always a Thai Baht

2. Never clean your coins!

I've learned since. So I did salvage some of those coins that were corroded. unfortunately I had to use a steel wool pad however it was in much better condition  little bit scratched out than completely rusted out.

I've learned since. So I did salvage some of those coins that were corroded. unfortunately I had to use a steel wool pad however it was in much better condition  little bit scratched out than completely rusted out.

 

A lot of them were King George V large pennies in the 20s, few queen Victorias and a 1909 VDB Wheat Penny and a 1909 Indian Head (yes during 1909 they made both Indian heads and wheat Pennies)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

A lot of them were King George V large pennies in the 20s, few queen Victorias and a 1909 VDB Wheat Penny and a 1909 Indian Head (yes during 1909 they made both Indian heads and wheat Pennies)

The last year of the large cent was 1920 (they made both large and small).

A few years back, a lady at the local convenience store gave me a 1909 Indian Head cent. It's one of my favourite coins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

The last year of the large cent was 1920 (they made both large and small).

A few years back, a lady at the local convenience store gave me a 1909 Indian Head cent. It's one of my favourite coins

My bad I screwed up. I know 1920 was the last year of the large cent.

 

One thing you should look for in your change is a quarter from 1990. Apparently the mint only made about 300,000 of them, making them super uncommon. You wouldn't believe the type of coins I found in my change! Here are my best finds I found so far with just regular pocket change.

1959 quarter (found 2016)

1943 quarter (found 2017)

1923 One cent (found 2011 in change)

Tons of five cent coins between the 1940s to the 80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

One thing you should look for in your change is a quarter from 1990. Apparently the mint only made about 300,000 of them, making them super uncommon. 

Not true. They made 31 million of them. Personally, I have a whole roll of them.

Screenshot_20190531-200625.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting this off my chest... THIS IS WHY I HATE COIN COLLECTING... You become so irritated when you see this in the donation box... 🤬

20190730_021912.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Getting this off my chest... THIS IS WHY I HATE COIN COLLECTING... You become so irritated when you see this in the donation box... 🤬

20190730_021912.jpg

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

FYI, 1936 nickels didn't have beavers on them, and 1947 nickels weren't round:

5-cents-1936.jpg

image-5-cents-1947-g.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

FYI, 1936 nickels didn't have beavers on them, and 1947 nickels weren't round:

5-cents-1936.jpg

image-5-cents-1947-g.jpg

Maybe it was an 86 and just fooled me, either way I collect anything under 2000. But I'm sure they had round variants of the nickel? I have round George VI nickels; 4x 1937 and 1X 1942, but for 1942 though show many variations of the 42 nickel.

Screenshot_20190730-103413_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d1259cf363c33baed1dcd374b842cd51.jpg

 

I also have 1 1963 round nickel and 5x 1964 nickles. I have about 14 George V nickels including a small one from 1917 (if I can find it :( )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I'm sure they had round variants of the nickel? I have round George VI nickels; 4x 1937 and 1X 1942, but for 1942 though show many variations of the 42 nickel. 

For George VI, nickels were round from 1937 until 1942, but when the RCM began minting the 5-cent coins in tombac in 1942, the shape was changed to twelve-sided to prevent confusion with the penny.  Even after the composition was changed to chrome-plated steel in 1944 and then back to nickel in 1946, the new shape was popular with the public so it was retained until 1962, after which the shape was changed back to round for economic reasons.

Last year, my daughter was learning to count money as part of her math curriculum.  I had lots of fun helping her with her homework when I brought out an old margarine tub full of coins from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s that I picked up in change years ago, mostly pennies and nickels but there are some silver dimes and quarters in there too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting hobby that I devoted half my life too. I started collecting since 2007. It was first junk coins and whatever my family brought back from their homeland in the 80s and 2001. I then started participating in organizations both locally and national. I focused on American coins but lost interest. Nowadays, I only collect Chinese Panda Bullion Coins with my interests in my other hobbies. 

A little background information on these coins if anyone is interested - Both produced in both silver and gold in different sizes, these coins are the Chinese version of the Canadian Maple Leaf Silver Rounds. They were first released in 1983 in low mintages with every year having a different design except for a few years. In 2015, the Chinese Government scammed everyone by reducing the weight of the coins from 1oz / 31.1 grams to 30 grams of silver. Despite that, the coins have more value than the silver itself. These coins are incredibly hard to get and are heavily counterfeited so it's only best to buy them from reputable dealers. Here's some of them in a album I have for them. The coins are from 1999 and 2009 to 2019. 

20190907_142001.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this beauty while cleaning the parking lot of the McDonalds I work at. Trashy but I'll take 80% silver anyday! 🤑

20200807_051647.jpg

20200807_051658.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently got a 1956 Roosevelt dime in change; it is very, very unusual to get any silver coinage in change anymore.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's find; another 80% silver found in my works parking lot :D also not posted, my father found a 1956 Nickel and gave it to me as well

20201021_182357.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Today's find; another 80% silver found in my works parking lot :D also not posted, my father found a 1956 Nickel and gave it to me as well

20201021_182357.jpg

I hate to break it to you but no 5 cent coins were made with silver after 1921. It's made of 100% pure nickel. 10, 25, 50 cents and $1 Canadian Coins prior to 1968 were made of silver. 1968 was a transition year where they made both silver 10 and 25 cent coins in 50% silver and nickel. Nice find though, I do keep my 5 cents made prior to 1965. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

I hate to break it to you but no 5 cent coins were made with silver after 1921. It's made of 100% pure nickel. 10, 25, 50 cents and $1 Canadian Coins prior to 1968 were made of silver. 1968 was a transition year where they made both silver 10 and 25 cent coins in 50% silver and nickel. Nice find though, I do keep my 5 cents made prior to 1965. 

You're right! I honestly just generalized all coins as such even though that's not the case. Oh well, still a nice find 😅 thanks for the correction. I'm not as much as a knowledgeable collector as I used to be. Anything under 1999 I keep (except 1996 toonies).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...