McNicoll Bus Garage - Updates and Discussion

Kobayashi

1 hour ago, Ultimate said:

The wraps are just for public outreach and not for dedicated bus service

TTC can manage to keep certain buses on certain routes. Its a matter of trying or not.

The manage to keep airport warped buses on the 900 most of the time before the pandemic. The pride bus always ends up on the right route, When they had a pan am games shuttle, The specific bus was kept on the shuttle route.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:11 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

TTC can manage to keep certain buses on certain routes. Its a matter of trying or not.

The manage to keep airport warped buses on the 900 most of the time before the pandemic. The pride bus always ends up on the right route, When they had a pan am games shuttle, The specific bus was kept on the shuttle route.

But why would they? It makes no difference what buses are on those express routes. 

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

But why would they? It makes no difference what buses are on those express routes. 

He means route 900 Airport Express specifically, it's a difference because of the luggage racks. The TTC works hard to keep buses on specific routes if they want to. That's all he meant

7 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

He means route 900 Airport Express specifically, it's a difference because of the luggage racks. The TTC works hard to keep buses on specific routes if they want to. That's all he meant

I'm aware of the 900 Airport buses. All the rest are the same and an outside wrap makes no difference to where those buses operate. 

On 10/2/2020 at 5:34 PM, Someguy3071 said:

I'm aware of the 900 Airport buses. All the rest are the same and an outside wrap makes no difference to where those buses operate. 

Yes, I think the point was that the TTC can control which buses go where if the want

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:56 PM, Young said:

Is McNicoll still set to begin operations in March or has that been delayed?

McNicoll will open on time. Facility orientation will commence in February. Aside from the LFSAs, LFS and/or VII have yet to be confirmed for the shuffle.

Garage is set to begin operations on Sunday, March 28, 2021. 

10 minutes ago, Eren Jaeger said:

McNicoll will open on time. Facility orientation will commence in February. Aside from the LFSAs, LFS and/or VII have yet to be confirmed for the shuffle.

Garage is set to begin operations on Sunday, March 28, 2021. 

And I guess the route shuffles will happen in March as well 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Tunnelrat said:

McNicoll is getting only nova diesels and Artics no Orion's or electric buses 

11 hours ago, Young said:

So no Nova Hybrids then

To make my assumption @Tunnelrat and @Young

Wilson, Queensway and Mount Dennis are Orion majority divisions though Malvern has a fair share of the Orions. Many Wilson operators are leaving for McNicoll, Birchmount or Comstock/New Eglinton who are Nova majority divisions. Even some Arrow Road and Comstock operators are leaving for Wilson or Malvern respectively which have Orion VIIs.

If McNicoll wanted any Orion VIIs, they have to undergo major equipment training and familiarization because the drivers and mechanics who are experienced on a Orion VII aren’t familiar with the new LFS diesels there. Parts would be a factor because none of the new mechanics at McNicoll won’t be familiar with the LFS but Orion VIIs would’ve been easier for their operators to drive and mechanics to maintain. I guess the LFS and LFS Artic are newer, simplified and easier to maintain than the VIIs. Unless the VIIs are easier to fix and maintain than the LFS.

4 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

To make my assumption @Tunnelrat and @Young

If McNicoll wanted any Orion VIIs, they have to undergo major equipment training and familiarization because the drivers and mechanics who are experienced on a Orion VII aren’t familiar with the new LFS diesels there. Parts would be a factor because none of the new mechanics at McNicoll won’t be familiar with the LFS but Orion VIIs would’ve been easier for their operators to drive and mechanics to maintain. I guess the LFS and LFS Artic are newer, simplified and easier to maintain than the VIIs. Unless the VIIs are easier to fix and maintain than the LFS.

Complete nonsense. 

The powertrain of the artics is identical to any of the 40 foot LFSes. The only change is the upsizing of the transmission, and that certainly doesn’t change any of the diagnostic protocols.

Ergo, technicians from Malvern, Wilson, or Mount Dennis have more than enough experience to hit the ground running.

If you don’t know, don’t post.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So it seems McNicoll is making use of their fleet by training other garage operators on them. 

I spotted 3140 training on 116 Morningside and later tracked it with TRANSSEE at UTSC loop and subsequently Malvern garage, then finally returning to McNicoll. 

I believe this is an effective use of the units, especially since it doesn't require the other garages to pull units that could be in service instead.

2 hours ago, MRD10 said:

So it seems McNicoll is making use of their fleet by training other garage operators on them. 

I spotted 3140 training on 116 Morningside and later tracked it with TRANSSEE at UTSC loop and subsequently Malvern garage, then finally returning to McNicoll. 

I believe this is an effective use of the units, especially since it doesn't require the other garages to pull units that could be in service instead.

Training inservice or not?