McNicoll Bus Garage - Updates and Discussion

Kobayashi

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

The batteries in an electric bus seem to be in the hundreds of kWh. With North American usage being that 1000 kWh = 1 MWh, you'd still need minimal losses taking the power from the storage batteries and charging the buses. I suspect that 50% efficiency is way optimistic. That means you may be able to charge 30 buses, perhaps.

I honestly don't understand the usage case for a backup generator beyond one to keep the lights on in the garage. How many buses did the TTC send out during the second day of the big blackout in 2003? Until the fleet is overwhelmingly electric, send out the diesel buses. Hopefully the diesel pumps still work at the garages, and at the distribution centres.

Head office decided it best to finally send the captive hamster colony out to pasture in favour of standby generators for the diesel pumps, after a campaign of strongly worded letters from PETA.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

probably a silly question but does anyone have any speculation of what bus fleet would be moving to McNicoll? or what buses you think would go to McNicoll and also is the garage open this year or is it delayed cause of Covid-19

1 hour ago, Young said:

probably a silly question but does anyone have any speculation of what bus fleet would be moving to McNicoll? or what buses you think would go to McNicoll and also is the garage open this year or is it delayed cause of Covid-19

Do you think everything would be delayed now that TTC has no cash nor can they train mass amount of people while social distancing?

8 hours ago, Young said:

I think that McNicoll might be an all nova division. LFS diesels from Eglinton, LFS HEVs from Malvern, and LFS artics from Arrow and Malvern. Malvern would get NG HEVs from MtD and Wilson to replace the nova hybrids moving to McNicoll (if this were to happen).

10 hours ago, Shemar said:

I think that McNicoll might be an all nova division. LFS diesels from Eglinton, LFS HEVs from Malvern, and LFS artics from Arrow and Malvern. Malvern would get NG HEVs from MtD and Wilson to replace the nova hybrids moving to McNicoll (if this were to happen).

no hybrids for now at Mcnicol.  

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

no hybrids for now at Mcnicol.  

I'm sure they are likely to get either LFS from Arw/Bir/Egl/Qsy, the 8100s from Wilson or 7900s from Queensway unless they are training them on any.

2 hours ago, Express Network said:

I'm sure they are likely to get either LFS from Arw/Bir/Egl/Qsy, the 8100s from Wilson or 7900s from Queensway unless they are training them on any.

I think it will most likely be LFS diesels at McNicoll. 79xx doesn't need to be separated from the 80xx. If anything, the 81xx should move to Birchmount and some of Birchmount's novas can move to McNicoll.

8 minutes ago, Mark Walton said:

The traction motor operating as a generator, using the current generated to recharge the battery.

Very good. And the net effect of that conversion of kinetic energy to electrical energy is?

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2020 at 9:58 PM, Shemar said:

I think it will most likely be LFS diesels at McNicoll. 79xx doesn't need to be separated from the 80xx. If anything, the 81xx should move to Birchmount and some of Birchmount's novas can move to McNicoll.

Based on the best current information I have, it’ll be 3100s rounding out the remainder of McNicoll’s fleet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have analyzed the projected numbers of how many buses will be used (Morning peak as an example) for all eight divisions based on the current numbers from the March board:

Arrow: 255 (current), 199 (projected)
Birchmount: 200 (current), 180 (projected)
Comstock: 266 (current), 196 (projected)
Malvern: 256 (current), 208 (projected) 
McNicoll: 217 (projected) - NEW 
Mt. Dennis: 241 (current), 188 (projected)
Queensway: 156 (current), 159 (projected)
Wilson: 249 (current), 206 (projected)

On 5/25/2020 at 1:21 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Based on the best current information I have, it’ll be 3100s rounding out the remainder of McNicoll’s fleet.

Do you mean, some of the Arrow Road and Birchmount hand me downs (as well as their 89xxs and 92xxs).

As you said about the Orion hybrids ruled out at McNicoll, I do not know it’s possible for them if they’re getting them as I saw many Orion hybrids training around Scarborough for the past couple of days.

As for Malvern, you guys said you will keep 20-25 of the LFSAs, would it be possible for Wilson or MD hand me downs to replace them?

5 hours ago, Orion V said:

Does this mean they'll stop temporary moving buses to Obico and North Queen?

Short answer: No.

There is a big difference between the end of construction and the site being turned over from the contractor to the TTC. There will still be TTC acceptance testing and other familiarization work to be completed before McNicoll becomes an operational Division. Additionally there is the need for OTC to catch up on training that has been delayed by stoppages brought on by Covid-19 restrictions. The linked page says operational by the end of 2020. I would not expect any change to the current use of Obico any time soon.

• Like 5

On 6/13/2020 at 10:25 PM, Shemar said:

Construction of McNicoll garage has been completed! See the photos of the complex posted on the TTC website. Link below:

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/McNicoll_Bus_Garage/index.jsp

See the Summer 2019 update (pdf). Chinese translated version also available here (pdf).

WTF. what country are we living in? stuff being translated into Chinese before French - one of the official languages I might add?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MK78 said:

See the Summer 2019 update (pdf). Chinese translated version also available here (pdf).

WTF. what country are we living in? stuff being translated into Chinese before French - one of the official languages I might add?

These updates are made for the community to know what is going on. The community surrounding McNicoll is predominantly Chinese. If you look at the census data,  greater than 2/3s of households in the area speak a language at home that is not English or French. For a large majority that language is either Cantonese or Mandarin. The data also shows that less than 3% of the community knows French. Roughly 25-30% of residents don't speak English or French. We can assume that for most of those people, one of the Chinese languages is the only language they know. In order to conduct proper community engagement, you must be able to provide information to the community in an language they understand. 30% is a large portion of the community to leave out of the loop by not providing a Chinese translated version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The immediate neighbours of the garage and the ones who were most opposed to its construction is the Mon Sheong Foundation Long Term Care Facility which caters primarily to Chinese seniors and the Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church.  In a likely attempt at being a good neighbour (the City has made similar attempts at posting zoning variances in Chinatown) they are making the information readily available.

It will probably be a while before the TTC attempts on a wider scale to post more general notices in other languages as is seen (from what I can recall) in New York, San Francisco or LA.  They're just now preparing for bilingual signage in NEW CONSTRUCTIONS, rather than try and fast track it and include it with the new wayfinding that is currently being rolled out on existing infrastructure.

9 hours ago, MK78 said:

Honestly most materials translated into French is just wasted in the GTA. 95% of the population isn't going read the French signs going up on the Crosstown.

The whole point of printing in other language is communication. As mention above, elders in the area would find the translation useful and that the TTC properly communicated to them. What good would a French version be?

• Like 1