Express691

2019 60' Articulated Bus Procurement

Ok, Vancouver - Not sure what's going on here... 

I think this order will be 19001 to 19047. There are clues on the buzzer blog which will be linked later.

This is the same number as the XN40. Could it be that the following 47 XN40 were converted to XDE60?

Take this with a grain of salt, though. 

What is true, however, is that bus 19004 exists, and it was involved in a fatal MVA in Seattle while on delivery from Minnesota.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/fatal-crash-involving-bus-and-car-on-i-90-near-north-bend/%3famp=1

As I posted a few months ago on the 2018 order page, Buzzer said that 110 artics will arrive "within the next year or so", so 47 makes sense. The number also matches up with the October 2018 board meeting report.

Not sure if the XN40s are converted but the March 2019 board meeting report did say that there are effectively 47 40-foot replacement buses (read: the missing XN40s) delayed to prioritize delivery of articulated buses. I'm on the bus right now so it's difficult but I'll find the page number once I have access to an actual computer.

EDIT:

Buzzer comment by staff: "We will receive 110 buses":

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2018/11/why-are-translink-buses-green-now/

October board report (see page 83):

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/board_minutes_and_reports/2018/October/18_10_04_Open_Board_Meeting_Report.pdf

March 2019 board report (see page 142):

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/board_minutes_and_reports/2019/march/2019_22_03_Open_Board_Meeting_Report.pdf

March.png

October.png

• Like 1

19004 on delivery from New Flyer Minnesota traveling to Vancouver was struck by a car in an apparent rear-end collision, 1 fatality in the car. Heavy damage to the front of the bus. This occurred on westbound I-90. No word on where the bus will be towed to be fixed.

• Sad 1

Because the bus was under delivery, doesn't that mean that New Flyer is still responsible for it? We'll see what they decide to do...

• Like 1

Just now, Millennium2002 said:

Because the bus was under delivery, doesn't that mean that New Flyer is still responsible for it? We'll see what they decide to do...

That’s correct, but I don’t feel there’s any reason to doubt that they will fix it. 

I'm sad that the bus has already caused a fatality, but am also amused at how the bus delivery news jolted everyone's attention here on the forum...

I'm guessing that TransLink already set the fleet allocation for 2018 early in the year, so when they re-prioritized the deliveries, they couldn't stick the new buses into the same series as the rest of the fleet.

• Like 1

Questions. Now that we know that an RFP and its options may result in bus orders spanning multiple years and series under TransLink's new numbering scheme, does it make more sense to keep them under the same year of the initial series? Or does it make more sense to split each year off into its own thread? Or should we go by the year of the RFP being issued?

This of course assumes that the equipment on the buses is broadly similar between years, which I think they are, given that they are options.

1 hour ago, Millennium2002 said:

Questions. Now that we know that an RFP and its options may result in bus orders spanning multiple years and series under TransLink's new numbering scheme, does it make more sense to keep them under the same year of the initial series? Or does it make more sense to split each year off into its own thread? Or should we go by the year of the RFP being issued?

This of course assumes that the equipment on the buses is broadly similar between years, which I think they are, given that they are options.

Had we followed the old system from 6/7 years ago, then the 2018 artic order thread should *not* have been created. (Someone by the name of Awesome Cheese created that thread) We should have continued mentioning the 2018 units in the 2015 thread if that were the case. 
According to the original RFP handed out for the 2015 artics, it had mentioned an initial order for 21 units, then two options: 26 units for 2016 (16200), and then 52 units for 2017 (18001-18052). Then that last option got 11 more tacked onto it. 

Also see:
https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Doing-Business-with-TransLink/Bidding-Opportunities/Closed-Bids/2017.aspx 

A procurement was placed in 2017, of which I *think* resulted in this order for 47.

I'm going to guess these units will be slated for BTC, and the remaining DE60LFR's / 2015 / 2016 XDE60's will be shipped elsewhere?

10 hours ago, cleowin said:

I'm going to guess these units will be slated for BTC, and the remaining DE60LFR's / 2015 / 2016 XDE60's will be shipped elsewhere?

The 2016 XDE60s have already begun to go to RTC to replace the remaining D60LFs, so that part is correct.

I don't believe that this order will be (fully) for BTC. If we're confident that only the B-Line routes will have the RapidBus livery while other artic routes (49, 44, etc) will have the standard livery, then BTC will have at most ~80 buses with RapidBus and ~20 standard livery artics (BTC has the 44 and 257, and can hold only about 100 artics and is already at or over capacity). The March 2019 board report also hinted that other garages are preparing to take in the new artics (page 14: "Training for the new Nova/New Flyer system is ongoing at Vancouver and Burnaby Transit Centres and is being expanded to other transit centres receiving new coaches"). Therefore I think we should expect to see some or all of this order at PTC, HTC, and/or STC.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, Express691 said:

Ok, Vancouver - Not sure what's going on here... 

I think this order will be 19001 to 19047. There are clues on the buzzer blog which will be linked later.

This is the same number as the XN40. Could it be that the following 47 XN40 were converted to XDE60?

This was all posted in the other artic delivery thread on December 27th, 2018. It isn't a surprise. 

Furthermore, if you're going to criticize people's post titles, a topic which I find tiring and ridiculous, this should be titled 2018 shouldn't it? I appreciate you're avoiding duplication in name, but, please chill out. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Express691 said:

Had we followed the old system from 6/7 years ago, then the 2018 artic order thread should *not* have been created. (Someone by the name of Awesome Cheese created that thread) We should have continued mentioning the 2018 units in the 2015 thread if that were the case. 
According to the original RFP handed out for the 2015 artics, it had mentioned an initial order for 21 units, then two options: 26 units for 2016 (16200), and then 52 units for 2017 (18001-18052). Then that last option got 11 more tacked onto it.

(snip)

Also see:
https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Doing-Business-with-TransLink/Bidding-Opportunities/Closed-Bids/2017.aspx 

A procurement was placed in 2017, of which I *think* resulted in this order for 47.

I don't like to point out inconsistencies, but now I am even more confused, because I see this post on the 2018 order thread:

Mind you, I'm probably just being very nit-picky right now with how the Vancouver sub-forum should be run...

• Like 1

Was on the 410 going by HTC and I think I saw one of the 190XX green buses. If my eyes didn't deceive me it didn't have a B prefix (unlike how the 180XX ones did), so who knows where it'll be going.

(Not saying that it'll necessarily be a bus for HTC, since all the green buses were prepped for service there)

2 minutes ago, briguychau said:

Was on the 410 going by HTC and I think I saw one of the 190XX green buses. If my eyes didn't deceive me it didn't have a B prefix (unlike how the 180XX ones did).

Yes. There are also a bunch inside the Cullens holding facility spotted as late as last week.

9 hours ago, briguychau said:

Was on the 410 going by HTC and I think I saw one of the 190XX green buses. If my eyes didn't deceive me it didn't have a B prefix (unlike how the 180XX ones did), so who knows where it'll be going.

(Not saying that it'll necessarily be a bus for HTC, since all the green buses were prepped for service there)

9 hours ago, Express691 said:

Yes. There are also a bunch inside the Cullens holding facility spotted as late as last week.

Does anyone have any idea where they'll be going?

45 minutes ago, 99.bline said:

Does anyone have any idea where they'll be going?

No, and this will be the answer until July.

• Like 2

19009 18 14 17 13 at Cullens today, might be another few at Western Bus or as far up the preparation waiting at HTC.

13 hours ago, Express691 said:

19009 18 14 17 13 at Cullens today, might be another few at Western Bus or as far up the preparation waiting at HTC.

Did you get their DEPOT Letters?

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Update, the one I saw at HTC today was B19009.

My prediction may be right, all 47 will goto btc, some nova’s will then be transferred out to another depot (vtc?) then some hev’s will move to htc?

im guessing all the d40lfr’s are going to be moved to other depots (htc, stc/rtc). I wont be surprised if they get the Rapidbus Scheme

I'm more inclined to think that at least one other depot will get these buses, and that BTC is just getting them for the time being. My guess is that the buses will eventually be split between HTC/STC, with STC getting between 13-17 for the 96, and the rest going to HTC for the 41st Avenue B-Line.

In the May Translink Board Meeting report, there is a line which strongly hints at this, on page 5 of the CMBC report (page 14 of the PDF).

Link to file: https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/board_minutes_and_reports/2019/march/2019_22_03_Open_Board_Meeting_Report.pdf

new.png

6 hours ago, briguychau said:

My guess is that the buses will eventually be split between HTC/STC, with STC getting between 13-17 for the 96, and the rest going to HTC for the 41st Avenue B-Line.

I'm pretty sure the order is going to be split more evenly between HTC and STC as there are considerations to use artics on the 502 in September, which will most likely change between 2020 and 2021 if/when the 503 gets short-turn artic trips from Surrey Central to Langley Centre.

The 19000s (and the remaining 11 18000s I believe) are getting a new radio system. They are undergoing testing phase, which explains the delay into service. 

May 7 was the sighting of the first tapidbus.

Each day of testing is another day for a D60LF to exist.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

The 19000s (and the remaining 11 18000s I believe) are getting a new radio system. They are undergoing testing phase, which explains the delay into service. 

May 7 was the sighting of the first tapidbus.

Each day of testing is another day for a D60LF to exist.

Yeah I thought so, all buses are getting the new radio system within the next few years. Tcomm is also getting an upgrade.