YUL Bus Charters - 2019 Activities

SMS

Can you believe that YUL Bus Charters is now in our fourteenth year of operation?

After record-setting years of hosting successful activities both locally and out of province, we continue to pursue our mandate in offering quality charters that you have come to expect from Montreal's premier bus enthusiast group.

This post is merely a SAVE THE DATE announcement, all details such as costs, times, etc will be announced at a later date in the next few weeks. These are proposed ideas and are all subject to approval from the bus companies in question.

YUL BUS CHARTER WEEKEND 2019

Saturday 4 May 2019 - Ontario Tripper 2019 at Cornwall Transit

We are offering our first Cornwall Transit Orion VI charter since 2014, with vehicle 9882 or 9881 requested. The charter will begin and end as usual at Cornwall Transit Garage, 863 Second Street West, Cornwall ON, K6J 1H5. The objective of the fan trip is to pay tribute to the old network that existed prior to the changes effective 10 December 2018.

Tentative time: 10:30 to 2:30 pm. Parking available on premises. No formal lunch stop will be offered but we will promise a bathroom break approximately midway through the event.

Sunday 5 May 2019 - Nova LFS Charter at Société de transport de Trois-Rivières

Priority bus STTR 9702 (the second oldest vehicle in the fleet), if not the vehicle will be selected by volunteer operator Félix Parent-Rocheleau (most likely 9806). The charter will begin and end as usual at the garage, 2000 Bellefeuille, Trois-Rivières QC, G9A 3Y2. The objective of the fan trip, much like the one above, is to pay tribute to the old network prior to the forthcoming changes that shall come this summer.

Tentative time: 9 am to 1 pm. Parking available on premises.

Following this activity, a joy ride to Shawinigan will be undertaken using privately owned GMC New Look 8202 leaving Trois-Rivières direction Shawinigan.  Charter costs do not include the ride aboard 8202. Donations will be expected to share fuel expenses, suggested donation will be same as last year: $20. An hour lunch stop is planned between the LFS charter and the New Look trip.

Details, pricing to follow in the upcoming weeks.

I hope that some of you are interested, so please bookmark your calendars. 

It is not enough to indicate mere interest on the CPTDB. You must indicate your presence by writing to the dedicated charter e-mail yulbuscharters (@) gmail dot com. Thank you and hope to see you in great numbers!

NB: Management reserves the right to restrict and/or refuse admission.

There's also a charter on June 5th that will be hosted by you according to the BHA Convention.

It planned to be served by 7901 (40-year-old GM Fishbowl) or an ex-Calgary as a substitute.

It's said to start and end at Terrasses de la Chaudière from 9:30 pm to 2:30 pm

Do you have any more details about that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

There's also a charter on June 5th that will be hosted by you according to the BHA Convention.

It planned to be served by 7901 (40-year-old GM Fishbowl) or an ex-Calgary as a substitute.

It's said to start and end at Terrasses de la Chaudière from 9:30 pm to 2:30 pm

Do you have any more details about that?

Details for this private charter will be unveiled to interested BHA participants in mid-May, once the charter routing has been finalized. My vice-president kellergraham is working hard on finding timed transfers based on the outline that I gave him, and which at the moment will remain confidential. I have estimated the cost of the charter to be 40 dollars, and priority will be given to BHA convention attendees to board the bus. Since we expect turnout to be high, it is unlikely (albeit not impossible) that we will allow members of the public to board our vehicle. The BHA convention coordinators have also authorized me to restrict and / or refuse admission per my discretion. In the interests of hospitality, we will prioritize those who are coming the farthest for this event to get on board our private charter. This is all that I am willing to write about this subject at the moment. As an aside, I am waiting from the STO for an updated fleet list, and once this is received, I will share the information in the appropriate forums and threads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

I may or may not be able to attend the Cornwall charter.  My wife is expecting and the baby is due right around that time!

Coongratulations Tom. That is great news. I wish the baby health. Come if you can, and if you cannot, then there are no hard feelings. The charter will go on even if we are five guys!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, oOCornPops said:

is the joy ride to shawinian coming back to trois-rivière after?

Of course!

You would have a hard time returning to Trois-Rivières from Shawinigan via any form of transit. The intercity bus service is woefully infrequent. Walking might actually be faster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

All news has been sent to interested charter participants. If you are coming and have not received the latest updates, please contact me immediately at the usual e-mail address listed above. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I can't really write long trip reports anymore, having very little free time nowadays. We undertook four fan trips in the span of six weeks, and they were all very well attended. The highlight was the STO 9136 charter. At one point, we had 41 passengers aboard! Thanks to all those who contributed to making our fan trips a success. I am taking a well-deserved break and I am unlikely to offer any more fan trips between now and mid-September. The group pictures are attached from Cornwall Transit, STTR, TUM in Shawinigan, CEGEP Gabrielle-Roy and Parc-o-bus Allumettières in STO land (featuring guest appearance with privately owned 8776), enjoy!

IMG_1845a.jpg

IMG_1862a.jpg

IMG_2006a.jpg

IMG_8761a.jpg

IMG_9482a.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Fall Colours charter proposal

This post is merely a SAVE THE DATE announcement, all details such as costs, times, food stop information, etc will be e-mailed at a later date (early October). These are proposed ideas and are all subject to approval.

YUL BUS CHARTERS PRESENTS FALL COLOURS WEEKEND 2019

Saturday 19 October 2019 - privately owned ex-STCUM 1978 GMC New Look (the original Réchaud-Bus) 20-029 returns home to Montreal

We are offering our first joyride in Montreal with privately owned bus 20-029, which is normally based in Trois-Rivières, QC. Thanks to the owner Mélissa Lavoie who spearheaded this initiative with us and is willing to have her bus return home. All proceeds from this event will go toward the continued maintenance and preservation of this bus. Details of where the event will begin and end will be e-mailed to charter participants only. Since the bus does not have a working front rollsign, window cards will be used for bus routes. The routing of the fan trip will be devised with the help of local subject matter experts. I will also request a garage visit from STM, however I cannot guarantee that they will grant us permission.

Sunday 20 October 2019 - 2006 Van Hool AG300 Charter at Réseau de transport de Longueuil (RTL) - Going where no Artic has gone before

Priority will be given to 20601/20602/20604, if not the vehicle will be a Nova LFS Artic. With the help of volunteer operator Tristan-Philippe Roy, this event is sure to be yet another success. Inspired by an ALRV trip held over 20 years ago (see https://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4610.shtml ), the objective of the fan trip is to offer an interesting itinerary on routes that rarely see articulated vehicles using one of the three remaining Van Hool buses. Tristan and I have already come up with some great ideas on where to route our charter. Remember that this will be our first bus charter on the South Shore in almost 5 years: the last RTL fan trip was held in December 2014 with a Classic. Of greater importance, this would be our second articulated bus fan trip with the RTL, after a successful trip with the Van Hool AG700 back in 2006. Much like the joy ride of the day before, details of where the event will begin and end will be e-mailed to charter participants only.

Details and pricing to follow in October. Due to the nature of these events, there will NOT be a Weekend Pass available - the joyride and the charter costs are mutually exclusive.

I hope that some of you will attend, so please bookmark your calendars. We expect to sell out both days.

It is not enough to indicate mere interest on the CPTDB. You must indicate your presence by writing to the dedicated charter e-mail yulbuscharters (@) gmail dot com. Please do not expect replies before October since between that time and now I have a wedding and honeymoon! Thank you and hope to see you in great numbers!

NB: Management reserves the right to restrict and/or refuse admission.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

E-mail sent to interested participants for the Sunday AG300 charter ONLY. If you will attend please write to me and you will be sent the necessary information. 

The information for the Saturday joyride featuring 20-029 will be sent next week.

We are close to full but we can still accept more persons for the time being. With just over two weeks remaining until the events, please contact me as soon as possible if you would like to join us.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Viva5113 said:

Thanks for great charter, I decided in last minute to stay few days longer in Montreal to join this charter, and it worth it.

The charter photos are now up on my flickr.

I noticed in you album there is a First Gen Nova Bus numbered 2-01. Whats the story behind that and what agency does it belong to?

A little trip report on this past weekend's events:

The Saturday joy ride was largely attended, with the bus being standing room only at certain points. With your support, we were able to raise the owner of 20-029 Mélissa Lavoie over $1300 for diesel costs as well as the continued maintenance and preservation of her vehicle. Thanks to volunteer operator Steve Villeneuve who did a great job tirelessly, politely, and without complaint. I had conflicting information that the 20-029 belonged to either Anjou or Legendre garages. As a result, we decided to string a routing incorporating both divisions and based on our window card collection. The AM segment incorporated much of Pointe-aux-Trembles until our lunch stop at Galeries d'Anjou. The PM segment tried to be faithful to the 1978 CTCUM map, but this wasn't always possible. Highlights of the afternoon ride included stops outside future CT de l'Est, in front of the Olympic Stadium, and outside the newly expanded bus overhaul facility at 8845 St-Laurent. One big surprise was by MTL66 who got us into Boutique STM before the grand opening. His friendship with store owner Luigi was greatly appreciated as most attendees left the store with bags of swag! It is hoped that we can convince Mélissa to come once a year to Montreal so that we can relive this great experience.

On Sunday, Tristan was sick unfortunately, so to my horror, I had to drive the Van Hool! It isn't a vehicle that I particularly like driving in service, and I hadn't driven one in over ten months. Actually, it was quite enjoyable! C20604 was ultimately the charter bus. It was very clean and drove nicely. We planned to go where no Van Hool had gone before. After doing a few local stops in Brossard, we headed for Longueuil where we dutifully posed at an express stop on Roland-Therrien Blvd, stopped for lunch at Alfa Hot Dog (where else?), and even paid homage to our AG700 charter by stopping on route 73. For me, the highlight was bringing the bus to Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville and driving the iconic route 99. We signed up the bus as well on abolished routes 95 and 117. We hope that we can continue to offer charters with RTL articulated buses in the future.

Here are the group photos taken at:

• Faubourg Contrecoeur (AM segment)
  • Plateau Youville / STM Crémazie shops (PM segment)
  • STRSM Parc incitation St-Hubert (fin de parcours for routes 42 and 132)

Thanks to all those who contributed to the success of the weekend. I would especially like to mention kellergraham and MTL66 and make mention of their hard work. I hope that people also enjoyed our raffles offered by Benoît Clairoux on Saturday (STM wall maps) on Saturday, and by myself and Claude Déziel on Sunday (RTL clothing and vintage photos respectively).

IMG_8751a.jpg

IMG_8753a.jpg

IMG_8861a.jpg

IMG_8862a.jpg

IMG_9260a.jpg

IMG_9263a.jpg

• Like 3