Boeing 737 MAX

Nick B

On 12/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, John Oke said:

You can say that about a few US ULCC’s as well eg: Allegiant with the Mad Dogs

It’s now February 14th 2020 for Air Canada, January 8th 2020 for WestJet and May 2020 for Sunwing

Gonna be at least the 3rd if not 4th quarter of 2020 at the earliest

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

DoJ have completed their investigation in the 737-MAX.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01...ce-department-747-max-deadly-crashes/13041586

the company is going to be $US2.5billion out of pocket in fines and compensation.

the criminal penalty for their actions is $US243Mil, $1.8Bil will go as compensation to the airlines who had to ground their planes and the families of the crash victims will share in $US500mil.

They are also party to a deferred prosecution agreement which will last for 3 years relating to the 1 count of attempting to defraud the United States relating to lying to the FAA about the systems on the Max.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/07/boeing-settles-criminal-charge-737-max-456092

• 2 weeks later...

The 737 MAX has been cleared to return to service in Canada effective January 20.

Transport Canada’s Airworthiness Directive can be found here for those interested in reading: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cawis-swimn/AD_dl.aspx?ad=CF-2021-02&cn=CF&ft=pdf&l=E&fbclid=IwAR2V1ZxkJjkojNHV9ZD5wUTuA8epWsglojHMmROKY62GW1ExsYqENx7db2M

Very bad news for the A220. I have a feeling that AC would use the MAX to replace the A220 on many routes.

What an absolute disgrace from this government for their disdain on Canadian aviation, from the opposition to jets in Billy Bishop, to the lack of funding and rescue for Canadian airlines, the lack of financial incentives to convince Canadian airlines to switch to the A220, and finally allowing a company that tried to significantly damage Canadian aircraft manufacturing by ungrounding the MAX much to the disrespect for the Canadian victims involved in the Ethiopian crash.

The MAX may be 14% more efficient than the 737-800, but the A220 is another 14% more efficient on top of the MAX (a grand total of 28% more efficient than the 737-800), thanks to the A220's significantly lighter airframe and more efficient PW1524G engines. Not to mention wider and more comfortable seats and larger windows on the A220. Even if the A220 carries slightly less people, it is more profitable to the airline who operates it compared to its competitors.

1 hour ago, anyfong said:

I have a feeling that AC would use the MAX to replace the A220 on many routes.

Bear in mind that the 220 is designed for a completely different sector than the MAX. Long and thin routes. If AC decides to put a MAX versus a 220 on a given route then they will almost certainly have a damn good reason for it. (i.e. load factor)

1 hour ago, anyfong said:

ungrounding the MAX much to the disrespect for the Canadian victims involved in the Ethiopian crash.

With that same logic you could easily argue that any and every aircraft type that has had a fatal accident should be permanently grounded in respect for the victims. The 737 MAX has already been grounded for almost 2 years and all necessary changes and upgrades have been made already. I can't think of a worse business decision for the industry than to ground a safe and proven aircraft for that reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anyfong said:

Very bad news for the A220. I have a feeling that AC would use the MAX to replace the A220 on many routes.

What an absolute disgrace from this government for their disdain on Canadian aviation, from the opposition to jets in Billy Bishop, to the lack of funding and rescue for Canadian airlines, the lack of financial incentives to convince Canadian airlines to switch to the A220, and finally allowing a company that tried to significantly damage Canadian aircraft manufacturing by ungrounding the MAX much to the disrespect for the Canadian victims involved in the Ethiopian crash.

The MAX may be 14% more efficient than the 737-800, but the A220 is another 14% more efficient on top of the MAX (a grand total of 28% more efficient than the 737-800), thanks to the A220's significantly lighter airframe and more efficient PW1524G engines. Not to mention wider and more comfortable seats and larger windows on the A220. Even if the A220 carries slightly less people, it is more profitable to the airline who operates it compared to its competitors.

The difference between AC's A220 and 737Max is 32 seats, if you can't offer those 32 seats by using a more efficient aircraft, then those 32 seats will go to another airline.   Doesn't sound very profitable to me.

As for you comment about "disrespect" to Canadian victims, I don't quite follow your logic on that one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 9924 said:

The difference between AC's A220 and 737Max is 32 seats, if you can't offer those 32 seats by using a more efficient aircraft, then those 32 seats will go to another airline.   Doesn't sound very profitable to me.

As for you comment about "disrespect" to Canadian victims, I don't quite follow your logic on that one.

However, the other point is A220 is the best aircraft to replace the A319 just starting to retire recently~~

Boeing 737MAX for Air Canada, in long them they might use them to get rid of those oldest A320~~

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick B said:

The 737 MAX has been cleared to return to service in Canada effective January 20.

Transport Canada’s Airworthiness Directive can be found here for those interested in reading: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cawis-swimn/AD_dl.aspx?ad=CF-2021-02&cn=CF&ft=pdf&l=E&fbclid=IwAR2V1ZxkJjkojNHV9ZD5wUTuA8epWsglojHMmROKY62GW1ExsYqENx7db2M

Found this on WestJet’s Twitter feed

First Revenue Flight for the Max's return in Canada will likely be WestJet Flight WS658 departing Calgary on January 21st at 0800, arriving at 1351 in Toronto. Subject to change. I'll try to get photos airside as I am working before its departure if confirmed. 

Edit: WS115/122 will be the first 737 Max Flight since the grounding in Canada. WS658 is now a 737-700. Departing YYC at 0800. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

I'll fly either of them, being larger the MAX will smooth out turbulence better 

Depending on the derivative, the largest MAX is only about 5ft longer than the largest NG, fuselage width and wingspan are the same.  You won't notice any difference in regards to turbulence.

The first flight from Calgary to Toronto on the Max this morning was cancelled. I'm surprised this made the news. Heard over the radio at work that it was cancelled and after dropped off carts at the Max, I spoke to the managers and said that warnings went off before takeoff. This plane (C-FRYV) was the backup plane for WestJet's flight to Vancouver yesterday morning. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-boeing-max-1.5884347

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

The first flight from Calgary to Toronto on the Max this morning was cancelled. I'm surprised this made the news. Heard over the radio at work that it was cancelled and after dropped off carts at the Max, I spoke to the managers and said that warnings went off before takeoff. This plane (C-FRYV) was the backup plane for WestJet's flight to Vancouver yesterday morning. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-boeing-max-1.5884347

If an overhead light burns out, the media will be all over it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...