GO Transit bus layovers/garages

Does GO have a downtown layover area for its coaches similar to Don and Bathurst yards to store buses (if any) not required for all-day service?

Given the growth in downtown, is there any reasonable prospect of GO looking for a property to operate a garage for downtown-to-suburb commuting?

2 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Does GO have a downtown layover area for its coaches similar to Don and Bathurst yards to store buses (if any) not required for all-day service?

Given the growth in downtown, is there any reasonable prospect of GO looking for a property to operate a garage for downtown-to-suburb commuting?

I know GO will use the streets in the Port Lands neighbourhood to layover before the evening rush; Viliers street is where alot of them camp out. Ive also seen them take up some spots in the greyhound garage just west of Lakeshore and Carlaw. They rent some spaces for this purpose, and according to the wiki they do this elsewhere as well.

I dont think storing buses downtown is a huge issue, since both areas I mentioned are 5 mins from USBT, not to mention the relaxed parking rules there as well. There are also multiple layover bays for buses in the lane across the fence at USBT. 

Additionally, the post-rush hour train-buses tend to come off of other trips, I’ve seen numerous trips ie 19 and 45 head downtown to do evening work so again, storage isn’t a huge issue. 

• Thanks 1

Indeed, the way GO's bus network is set up, there very seldom is any laying over for long periods of time like there is with the train fleet. There will be layovers between runs to allow for the drivers to get a break and ensure that they leave on time, but in a lot of cases the buses that are running the train-bus runs outside of rush hours are the same buses that are running the services that connect with the trains at the outlying stations at rush hours.

Dan

• Thanks 1

Plus most routes that enter the core/Union Station usually start and end there day in the suburbs. Away from the Downtown core, which reflects ridership patterns. Most people are going away from the downtown area at night, and at the end of the PM rush hours. And vice versa in the Morning And am rush

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Is Go still leasing parking spots from Greyhound at the Toronto Greyhound yard?

I wanna assume so. I occasionally see a GO bus parked in the lot off of Lake Shore Blvd E, east of Don Roadway. Normally in the evening, pushing to night time 

• 11 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 12:50 PM, smallspy said:

Indeed, the way GO's bus network is set up, there very seldom is any laying over for long periods of time like there is with the train fleet. There will be layovers between runs to allow for the drivers to get a break and ensure that they leave on time, but in a lot of cases the buses that are running the train-bus runs outside of rush hours are the same buses that are running the services that connect with the trains at the outlying stations at rush hours.

Dan

back in the late 80's working Hamilton corridor the express #16 was allotted 55 minutes from Hamilton to Toronto - terminal to terminal. This gave me up to 35 minutes (layover) between trips.

Also, after coming in to Elizabeth St terminal on the Lakeshore local route from Hamilton (2 hrs and 15 minute route) I had a 90 minute layover before I headed to Union Station to operate an express train trip to Georgetown. In the summer I'd often get called on the radio when I finished up in Georgetown to ask if I wanted overtime and I usually did. This meant deadheading to Oakville GO Station to wait for the Blue Jays game to finish and do  an express trip to Burlington. That was often a 2 hour minimum layover. i spent almost as much time laying over as I did driving.

2 hours ago, ex_GrayCoach_Go_Bus_Driver said:

back in the late 80's working Hamilton corridor the express #16 was allotted 55 minutes from Hamilton to Toronto - terminal to terminal. This gave me up to 35 minutes (layover) between trips.

Also, after coming in to Elizabeth St terminal on the Lakeshore local route from Hamilton (2 hrs and 15 minute route) I had a 90 minute layover before I headed to Union Station to operate an express train trip to Georgetown. In the summer I'd often get called on the radio when I finished up in Georgetown to ask if I wanted overtime and I usually did. This meant deadheading to Oakville GO Station to wait for the Blue Jays game to finish and do  an express trip to Burlington. That was often a 2 hour minimum layover. i spent almost as much time laying over as I did driving.

Big layovers like that, did/do those ever get a bit annoying? I mean sure, you're getting paid, but doesn't the novelty of that free time wear off a bit?

16 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Big layovers like that, did/do those ever get a bit annoying? I mean sure, you're getting paid, but doesn't the novelty of that free time wear off a bit?

I enjoyed the layovers. since I was laying over in downtown Hamilton or Toronto there were things to do while on break. Also, I usually wasn't alone as there were other drivers on layover as well and we would hang out and talk. Quite the contrast to TTC city drivers that often had zero minutes between trips and had to stop along their route to use the restroom etc.

when laying over between trips at Elizabeth St GO terminal in the 80's many drivers - Gray Coach & Go Transit would hang out next to the terminal at a tiny little coffeee/snack shop run by a Chinese guy from Saskatchewan.

Can't remember his name but he was fun to talk to.

The coffee shop was located at this location, now just a couple of doors.

coffee.PNG