Jump to content
TTCNLFBT

TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation

Recommended Posts

If its red, put it in. That old VH will run on pretty much anything. They originally ran on fish oil. You can use hydraulic oil, non detergent motor oil, pretty much anything and it will go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

If its red, put it in. That old VH will run on pretty much anything. They originally ran on fish oil. You can use hydraulic oil, non detergent motor oil, pretty much anything and it will go.

How about cherry Kool Aid, hmmm?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm off this week, I'll see what I can find out next week when I go back. they might have taken it inside to finish stripping it. I doubt they would throw it away before working on 8058. It is full of parts and still has a lot of good stuff on it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 6:06 PM, Tom1122 said:

IT looks like parts bus 2345 has been removed from Hillcrest as 7575 was in its spot.

I believe that 2345 is still at Hillcrest.  Last time I checked it was parked beside 8058 on the west side of Harvey Shop, facing east.  7575 is parked beside 2444 where 2345 use to parked there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, TTCNLFBT said:

I believe that 2345 is still at Hillcrest.  Last time I checked it was parked beside 8058 on the west side of Harvey Shop, facing east.  7575 is parked beside 2444 where 2345 use to parked there.

All three fishbowls are still at Hillcrest.

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Is that a ....toaster?

The toaster that looks like bus parts.

Also are you guys using 8058's old rotting frame or the the frame from one of the fishbowls at hillcrest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a toaster, I have to eat. 8058 is a GM bus, it doesn't have a frame. It has front and rear subframes to bolt the suspension to. Pretty sure its all decent enough to use again. they're big heavy steel stampings. Everything that attaches to them is shot but the stubs in it looked OK when I was under it.

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 6:10 PM, valvebodyguy said:

Its a toaster, I have to eat. 8058 is a GM bus, it doesn't have a frame. It has front and rear subframes to bolt the suspension to. Pretty sure its all decent enough to use again. they're big heavy steel stampings. Everything that attaches to them is shot but the stubs in it looked OK when I was under it.

 

Is 8058 going to be retrofitted with power steering or does it have it already? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Doggosareamazing said:

Is 8058 going to be retrofitted with power steering or does it have it already? 

I know when it was retired by TTC and went to HCRR, 8058 did not have power steering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No 2 speed buses were ever sent through the rebuild program or retrofitted with power steering. 8058 will remain with manual steering and the big white steering wheel(if we can find one).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

No 2 speed buses were ever sent through the rebuild program or retrofitted with power steering. 8058 will remain with manual steering and the big white steering wheel(if we can find one).

Actually one 2 speed bus did: 8073 which became 2151 which became a 3 speed with power steering. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The speedometer transmission was seized and not made to be taken apart. We took it apart anyway.  Turns out it was old dried up grease that seized it and one thrust bearing was shattered. Probbly by me. We made a new bushing on the lathe cleaned it all up and reassembled with new grease. Just have to find the splined drive pin for it

20191114_121701.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the final pieces. After repairing the speedo drive trans I needed to replace the drive key for it. Its basically a 1/8 pin with a spline down one side. Couldnt find one anywhere.  Finally ended up making one from a split pin and a bit of metal salvaged from a gear clamp. First attempt was ok but it was still a tad short. Found a longer pin and made another. It was perfect. Its in and working. Original drive on right. The middle two are the ones I made and on the left is the 6V71 emergency stop reset lever that supplied the longer pin.

20191120_093948.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if when 8058 is done if TTC will casually reveal it like 2252 or keep the bus under cover until a big event to unveil it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

I dont know. they better get cracking on it or there wont be anyone left that knows how to work on it

Hi. 👋🏻🙃

As long as they get moving on it in the next decade and a half, we’re covered.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...