TTCNLFBT

TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation

I haven't touched a V-Drive in 25 or 30 years but it should come back. I was leafing through the manual and it was getting more and more familiar.

I have a question regarding Engine technology. 

The 50 Series became popular because they where at the time clean burning engines, but not by today's standards.  

The interesting thing that I found was the horsepower rating of the 50 series vs 6V-71

50 Series 250HP 725 ft⋅lbf (983 N⋅m) @ 1200 rpm

6V-71 225HP 600 lb⋅ft (813 N⋅m) @ 1600 RPM

How is it that the 50 series with only 25 more horse power is able to power a much heavier vehicle, and accelerate faster and maintain a better top speed?

Does it have to do with the fact that the engine is more efficient? 

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

The 50 Series became popular because they where at the time clean burning engines, but not by today's standards.  

The interesting thing that I found was the horsepower rating of the 50 series vs 6V-71

How is it that the 50 series with only 25 more horse power is able to power a much heavier vehicle, and accelerate faster and maintain a better top speed?

Technically advances...? The 6V-92 was spec’d to have 253 hp at last look years ago (best sounding engine  on an Orion V in my mechanically juvenile opinion)

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

You would have to compare the full torque curves, but it's obvious that the 50 series puts out a lot more torque at a lot lower RPM. That translates to more horespower at lower engine speeds. And that's what gets the heavier vehicle moving more briskly.

The horespower ratings are really only relevant at the peak HP RPM. Most of the time, the engine will be running below that RPM.

• Like 1

I used to run the dyno. Our 6V71s were actually factory rated at 180HP and somewhere in the 600s torque. The 6V92TA as used in the OBI V compared more favorably to the S50. Plus the transmissions were different and the heavy buses might have had a bit deeper gears in the diff. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

8058  powerplant ready for overhaul

20190402_133940.jpg

20190402_134027.jpg

It looks like a rad recore is also in order 

20190402_133850.jpg

If it is going to rebuild, will they paint the old livery maroon and cream color?

Will they be keeping 8058 as a two speed or changing it to three speed transmission. And are they adding power steering or trying to keep the bus as close to original as possible.

2 hours ago, 7575 said:

Do you know when this will be completed?

Probably 2021 considering how long it took for 2252 to be completed and 2252 was in better condition.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 7575 said:

Do you know when this will be completed?

It's already done.

Crap it's April 3rd.

NVM

Anyway, as a tribute. Here's a shot I took the last year I photographed 8058... 19 years ago. 😂 😂 😂 Never saw it in the new colours in person. 

IMG_20190403_131242.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4