TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation

TTCNLFBT

Was a bit of a PIA coming up with a rear oil seal for the engine but we finally got pur mitts on one. I was then able with the help of a few enthusiastic volunteers to get the old V-Drive hung back on the engine. Next will be the heat exchanger and all the oil lines.

20200124_125607.jpg

20200124_125552.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, valvebodyguy said:

Was a bit of a PIA coming up with a rear oil seal for the engine but we finally got pur mitts on one. I was then able with the help of a few enthusiastic volunteers to get the old V-Drive hung back on the engine. Next will be the heat exchanger and all the oil lines.

20200124_125607.jpg

20200124_125552.jpg

Nice. Did you guys mask off and paint the V drive logo? That’s a nice touch.

Did it old school freehand with my semi-steady hand and the black paint my neighbour uses on the diffs. The transmission itself is slathered with a nice coat of Tremclad Aluminum done at 6AM before everyone got there so as not to upset the safety nutbars. (I will deny this if confronted LOL)

• Like 9

On 1/26/2020 at 9:25 AM, valvebodyguy said:

Did it old school freehand with my semi-steady hand and the black paint my neighbour uses on the diffs. The transmission itself is slathered with a nice coat of Tremclad Aluminum done at 6AM before everyone got there so as not to upset the safety nutbars. (I will deny this if confronted LOL)

Very nice work!

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

That's it for me. Today was my last day, I am now a pensioner. I'll try to get down and visit as often as I can to keep the 8058 updates coming.

Hope you have a long and happy retirement and thanks for the recent updates. Congratulations on making it out in one piece! I have 18 years left to go.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

That's it for me. Today was my last day, I am now a pensioner. I'll try to get down and visit as often as I can to keep the 8058 updates coming.

I’m sure everyone is sad to see you go, enjoy your retirement. I’m sure everyone will love to still get updates about 8058. Thanks for keeping  Hillcrest going. 

8 hours ago, BusFanForever said:

Hope you have a long and happy retirement and thanks for the recent updates. Congratulations on making it out in one piece! I have 18 years left to go.

You'll get there !

8 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

I’m sure everyone is sad to see you go, enjoy your retirement. I’m sure everyone will love to still get updates about 8058. Thanks for keeping  Hillcrest going. 

Thanks !

23 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

Congratulations and enjoy retirement!

Thanks for keeping us informed along the way.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:53 PM, valvebodyguy said:

Thank you for sharing the posts. Hope you enjoy your wonderful retirement after a lengthy career in the TTC!

Let us know for further updates.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, TTCNLFBT said:

The TTC website has posted the charter rates for 2252.  Please wait until the COVID-19 is completely over before chartering the bus.  Any updates on GM 8058?

Ignoring, for a second, the general unlikeliness of COVID-19 being 'completely' over for the foreseeable future (other criteria will have to be explored to restart all the world in a meaningful way, never mind charters), I highly doubt the TTC would be dumb enough to let a charter run while there is a significant possibility of community spread, or that there's going to be any great percentage of people who are going to have enough cash going around to pay the TTC's exorbitant charter rates.

13 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Ignoring, for a second, the general unlikeliness of COVID-19 being 'completely' over for the foreseeable future (other criteria will have to be explored to restart all the world in a meaningful way, never mind charters), I highly doubt the TTC would be dumb enough to let a charter run while there is a significant possibility of community spread, or that there's going to be any great percentage of people who are going to have enough cash going around to pay the TTC's exorbitant charter rates.

First you'll have to proof why your charter trip is essential which is really hard to do unless you're charting a bus to work or groceries for yourself... 

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

First you'll have to proof why your charter trip is essential which is really hard to do unless you're charting a bus to work or groceries for yourself... 

On 5/5/2020 at 11:00 AM, PCC Guy said:

The problem is, to a lot of foamers, charter trips ARE essential, and they can’t understand why anybody would disagree with their perspective on it.  With the current pandemic situation, there’s no way the TTC is going to approve any charters unless it’s something organized by a public agency to move workers around or something like that.

The price list is interesting (and disappointing).  Notice the ALRV isn’t listed available to charter?  And apparently the ban on chartering low floor cars got lifted at one point too.  I guess with pretty much all of them on site now they can relax that a bit since they have no shortage of them to run service with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

The problem is, to a lot of foamers, charter trips ARE essential, and they can’t understand why anybody would disagree with their perspective on it.  With the current pandemic situation, there’s no way the TTC is going to approve any charters unless it’s something organized by a public agency to move workers around or something like that.

The price list is interesting (and disappointing).  Notice the ALRV isn’t listed available to charter?  And apparently the ban on chartering low floor cars got lifted at one point too.  I guess with pretty much all of them on site now they can relax that a bit since they have no shortage of them to run service with.

IIRC, there's already been a charter with a Flexity which happened while there were still CLRVs.