TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation

TTCNLFBT

Sure I'll be wearing my last brand new old school green canvas TTC parka taking my night shift snooze on the back seat. Bus idling in reverse(so the lights go out) and the heat blasting. Not that I ever did that, just sayin........

This is all the parts that you can still buy from Allison for a VH transmission. Not much to work with but we'll manage.

20191003_102051.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, valvebodyguy said:

Sure I'll be wearing my last brand new old school green canvas TTC parka taking my night shift snooze on the back seat. Bus idling in reverse(so the lights go out) and the heat blasting. Not that I ever did that, just sayin........

This is all the parts that you can still buy from Allison for a VH transmission. Not much to work with but we'll manage.

20191003_102051.jpg

I just have to say, I wish you guys the best of luck restoring 8058! Boy, she was not in good shape coming back from HCRR.

• Like 1

Today I worked on the front end(or rear if you follow the manual) First I assembled, installed and tested the Hydraulic and Direct clutches then built up the converter (we used to call it the turbine). I built piles of turbines and clutches back in the day for the divisions as it could be changed as an assembly in the bus. The test fixture for the clutches was found in a pile of junk in old Davenport Garage. Took a bit of scrounging but I was pretty sure it was there.. here's a video of the clutch test

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A nice coat of Tremclad Aluminum

20191018_104838.jpg

Painting it brought out a lot of detail including previous welding repairs to the case.  Stampings indicate the turbine originally came from bus 7769 and the case came from 3567. It has a casting date of 2 August 1968. The complete transmission was later numbered TR1568 but we could find no record of it.

20191018_104932.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

What type of fluid does this tranny take? A proprietary diesel fluid or some along the lines of Dexron or Mercon?

Dexron III for the old stuff is fine, although the TTC has standardized to Castrol TranSynd some years ago.